One million Thais are sick and suffer from cigarette-related diseases

snoop1130

One million Thais are sick and suffer from cigarette-related diseases

cigarette.jpg

At least one million Thais are sick and suffering from various chronic diseases associated with cigarette smoking such as cancer, emphysema, stroke, according to ASH Thailand or anti-cigarette smoking foundation.

ASH Thailand secretary-general Dr Prakit Wateesatokkit said Friday that report from the World Health Organization for every Thai nation who died of diseases associated with cigarette smoking, there were 20 others who are sick and are suffering from various chronic diseases ranging from cancer to emphysema and stroke.

Based on the fact that there are about 50,000 deaths from cigarette-related diseases, he said at least one million Thais are sick from cigarette-related chronic diseases which are difficult to cure and the treatment costs are expensive.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/one-million-thais-sick-suffer-cigarette-related-diseases/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-5-26

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"At least one million Thais are sick and suffering from various chronic diseases associated with cigarette smoking..."

And  most smokers, not only Thais, are so generous. They love to light up and smoke where non smokers are present, especially in front of restaurants and cafes. So everyone gets to inhale the poisonous smoke while entering, or have the smoke drift in while trying to enjoy a meal. I've never heard one ask if anyone would mind if they lit up a cigarette.  When they need their fix, they have to get it.

With all the information that was available to them about the dangers related to tobacco use, they still chose to start smoking. Then they act shocked when they develop a tobacco related disease. Not sure if it's stupidity, arrogance or both. Either way, they knew what they were getting into when they started their habit. Disease leading to a painful dying process is just a natural and logical outcome.  

Edited by jaltsc

10 minutes ago, jaltsc said:

"At least one million Thais are sick and suffering from various chronic diseases associated with cigarette smoking..."

And  most smokers, not only Thais, are so generous. They love to light up and smoke where non smokers are present, especially in front of restaurants and cafes. So everyone gets to inhale the poisonous smoke while entering, or have the smoke drift in while trying to enjoy a meal. I've never heard one ask if anyone would mind if they lit up a cigarette.  When they need their fix, they have to get it.

I used to smoke, stopped about 15 years ago. Now I know that there is nothing like the zeal of a reformed tart, but I really detest the habit of lighting up adjacent to others who do not smoke.. It is supremely arrogant..

Why is this news and why are Thai any different to other cigarette smokers in the world? Nicotine is right up there at the top in addiction rating no matter what the relative price might be. 

As a long reformed smoker I have no sympathy. Smokers of fags get what they ask for and pay for. 

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

At least one million Thais are sick and suffering from various chronic diseases associated with cigarette smoking such as cancer, emphysema, stroke, according to ASH Thailand or anti-cigarette smoking foundation.

So stop smoking. 

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

So stop smoking. 

Can't be simpler.

A recdent medical BREAKTHROUGH came up with a shocking discovery! Doctors HATE him, because he came with a super and infallible solution to avoid dying from any tobacco-related cause. Ready to hear it? I swear there's no affiliate link and no e-book for sale. I'll tell you the trick right away:

"Do not smoke"

Really. I swear, it works. And if you're looking to quit, I'll help you: sometimes you might get cravings that are difficult to overcome. Let me tell you a secret that WORKS to quit smoking:

When you get a nicotine craving, do not smoke.

Haven't thought about that, did you?

55 minutes ago, SiamBeast said:

Can't be simpler.

A recdent medical BREAKTHROUGH came up with a shocking discovery! Doctors HATE him, because he came with a super and infallible solution to avoid dying from any tobacco-related cause. Ready to hear it? I swear there's no affiliate link and no e-book for sale. I'll tell you the trick right away:

"Do not smoke"

Really. I swear, it works. And if you're looking to quit, I'll help you: sometimes you might get cravings that are difficult to overcome. Let me tell you a secret that WORKS to quit smoking:

When you get a nicotine craving, do not smoke.

Haven't thought about that, did you?

Me?

Never smoked a day of my life.

Seen three family members die from smoking related cancer.

Filthy habit.

13 hours ago, jaltsc said:

With all the information that was available to them about the dangers related to tobacco use, they still chose to start smoking. Then they act shocked when they develop a tobacco related disease. Not sure if it's stupidity, arrogance or both. Either way, they knew what they were getting into when they started their habit. Disease leading to a painful dying process is just a natural and logical outcome.  

The explanation for their irrational behavior is simply the fact that smokers are victims of an absolute addiction.  The vast majority are helplessly addicted and, unsurprisingly therefore, are in total denial.  NO amount of education or information will ever be accepted by them as accurate or relevant.  Not even the prospects for disease and a torturous end scare or deter them.  If they themselves are not deterred, why would you expect them to have any such concerns for others, i.e., non-smokers? That being the case, and I wouldn't say this very often, their opinions and preferences should be dismissed by the public.  They are unable to deliver ANY intelligent, objective opinions or decisions on public policy with respect to smoking.  There are a few who will profess a certain willingness to submit to some restrictions and appear "reasonable", but I suspect that's usually all really down to a fear of total prohibition.

Edited by hawker9000

12 hours ago, jerojero said:

Only one million, when majority of +16 population are smokers?

When you filter out those who may not smoke (children, women, older folks) one million would seem to represent a significant public health issue?

13 hours ago, jaltsc said:

With all the information that was available to them about the dangers related to tobacco use, they still chose to start smoking

That is a little simplistic... when the men pushed cigarettes and beers on me as a pre-pubescent, they thought it was funny. No knowledge of cancer etc back then.... but it is not so funny now. I, however, am one of the lucky ones with a clear chest X-ray.

Notwithstanding, what you say is correct for today's youth... 

With all the whistle blowers disclosing the list of chemicals in cigarettes why is the world still surprised?

Most all actors who advertised cigarettes in the U.S. and many of the Officers of the Cigarette Corporations died early deaths.

I firmly believe there should be a premium charged to these smokers and others who don't take care of themselves.

Start with 500-1000 baht premium for smokers and fatties, escalating up for known diseases smokers and fatties get.

1 hour ago, Matt96 said:

cigarettes should be made illegal long time ago -same as other narcotics. but tobacco lobbyists do whatever it takes to keep their source of profit legal.

The tobacco industry could extract the addictive nicotine from the tobacco if they wanted to or were forced to. But then the cigarette companies would not get the sales and the government would not get the taxes. Both are on a big winner. The more people smoke the more money they make. Death and illness for them is just an incidental consequence.

1 hour ago, Matt96 said:

cigarettes should be made illegal long time ago -same as other narcotics. but tobacco lobbyists do whatever it takes to keep their source of profit legal.

I agree.  Smoking should have been treated as an extremely dangerous drug as soon as the damage to lungs etc. became a proven fact.  To keep those addicted at the time 'happy' (decades ago...), it would have made sense to allow them to obtain their 'fix' via prescription.

Of course this would have resulted in a 'black market' - but very few young, non-smokers are going to pay a premium to get addicted to smoking - which takes time and perseverance, with no compensating 'high'.

Unfortunately this didn't happen as the tobacco companies were/are 'big business' and the shareholders/PR people etc. etc. 'respectable' people - as opposed to the illegal drugs businesses run by 'nobodys', with no/little profit for those in power, therefore easy to make immediately illegal.

15 hours ago, jaltsc said:

you sound like so much fun to be around

15 hours ago, Cadbury said:

Why is this news and why are Thai any different to other cigarette smokers in the world? Nicotine is right up there at the top in addiction rating no matter what the relative price might be. 

As a long reformed smoker I have no sympathy. Smokers of fags get what they ask for and pay for. 

It is as addictive as you let it be.If you have no real will to quit then you will lie to yourself about how good one taste after meals or how relaxing it is,BS if it tasted good then Ben & Jerry's would have an ice cream of the same flavor.Quit (if you believe that you are stronger then a fag) and found out how things realy taste and smell in the world.

The explanation for their irrational behavior is simply the fact that smokers are victims of an absolute addiction.  The vast majority are helplessly addicted and, unsurprisingly therefore, are in total denial.  NO amount of education or information will ever be accepted by them as accurate or relevant.  Not even the prospects for disease and a torturous end scare or deter them.  If they themselves are not deterred, why would you expect them to have any such concerns for others, i.e., non-smokers? That being the case, and I wouldn't say this very often, their opinions and preferences should be dismissed by the public.  They are unable to deliver ANY intelligent, objective opinions or decisions on public policy with respect to smoking.  There are a few who will profess a certain willingness to submit to some restrictions and appear "reasonable", but I suspect that's usually all really down to a fear of total prohibition.

Take at look at some airports, entirely designated non smoking by non smokers. There is no reason to exclude smoking booths/ outdoor terraces/ rooms with mechanical extraction and lobbies that eliminate any nuisance to non smokers.

The majority will happily obide by restrictions, when there is no alternative they'll find a way, and its usually then that they wont care who else is bothered by it.

21 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

It is as addictive as you let it be.If you have no real will to quit then you will lie to yourself about how good one taste after meals or how relaxing it is,BS if it tasted good then Ben & Jerry's would have an ice cream of the same flavor.Quit (if you believe that you are stronger then a fag) and found out how things realy taste and smell in the world.

"It is as addictive as you let it be.If you have no real will to quit then you will lie to yourself about how good one taste after meals or how relaxing it is"

This is simply not true for all smokers.  I'm a smoker who doesn't like the taste/know it has the opposite effect on me to relaxing - and found it relatively easy to give up the 'physical' addiction a couple of times.  The most effective was using the Alan Carr method - long before I read his book.  i.e. I worked out the same thing by myself.

The main problem is that it can also be a psychological addiction - which is FAR harder to break :sad:.

Edit - I'd add that I'm also extremely aware of the health risks (and certainly not in denial), as cancer runs in my family.....

Edited by dick dasterdly

4 minutes ago, coulson said:

Take at look at some airports, entirely designated non smoking by non smokers. There is no reason to exclude smoking booths/ outdoor terraces/ rooms with mechanical extraction and lobbies that eliminate any nuisance to non smokers.

The majority will happily obide by restrictions, when there is no alternative they'll find a way, and its usually then that they wont care who else is bothered by it.

Exactly.  I go out of my way to try to ensure that my smoking doesn't bother anyone else.

A few years ago there were smoking and non-smoking areas in restaurants, and when going out with non-smoking friends we obviously sat in the non-smoking area.  When I needed a cigarette I'd go outside to smoke.  But apparently this isn't enough for the odd poster who gets bad-tempered by having to walk past the odd smoker outside restaurants....

As for getting rid of the horrendous smoke-filled 'booths' for smokers (surely its within the realms of yesterday's technology to extract the smoke?) at airports purely to make the whole area non-smoking - don't get me started :laugh:!

As an ex-smoker ( 22 years without one ) I can relate to smokers and their addiction. One story however, made me realise how some people are just beyond any help. A fellow traveller from the Middle East to Swampy one time told me he found a way to have a crafty drag on the plane.......He put his head in the toilet, lit the cigarette, and flushed the toilet to extract the smoke.......now that to my mind, is desperation .....:sad: