working on my own home

I asked my Thai Immigration attorney this very same question.

He's especially qualified to answer as he was an attorney at CM Immigration for many years.

There is zero problem under the law with working on a home you rent or own. He equated it with cooking your own dinner or doing your own laundry.

This being Thailand, though, what the law actually says won't stop angry folks from bothering you. As others have said, good relations with the neighbors and the Phu Yai Baan will go a long way toward a hassle-free project.

• Like 2

On 5/27/2017 at 1:44 PM, huahinboilerman said:

...do i need a work permit to do work on my own home?

No, as long as it's your home and not a house you make for the purpose of selling it.

Same with repairing/rebuilding a car, a motorbike, or a boat, etc. – but don't sell and start a new similar project...:whistling:
(Source: ThaiVisa news feed, official statement, think it was from the Phuket-news.)

• Like 1

Most of the time these "I got arrested for changing a tap washer" are exactly that, stories, usually told second or third hand, "my mate at the bar" etc. I am yet to hear a "genuine story, first hand, of some getting into trouble working on there own house.

I have however, heard stories about guys saying they were working on there house and it turned out that they had a building company, renovating multiple properties etc or straight up working for money.

• Like 1

I regularly cut the grass and scrub at home, at the shop on my wifes land and also for my neighbour who is a widow with no sons. I live in rural Khampaeng Phet and out here nobody cares.

I have had monks stop and talk on their alms rounds, many of the locals give me a smile and a wave as do most of the kids going to school and I even get waves and smiles from the tessaban workers who cut the grass at the edge of the road.

I have been doing it for 8 years now and nobody in authority has ever bothered even to drop a hint to my wife let alone me.

I also did the wiring and rewiring years later at my wifes shop.

Edited by billd766
Added extra text
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No

Working as a volunteer requires  a work permit.

Hello UbonJoe

I was asked by the Head of our local Amphur office where I just received my yellow Tambien Ban and pink ID card to come back on the 31 for and hour and just talk in english to her and her staff and try to improve their English. She was very gracious and helpful during the process of  disposing all my 50% of land and house to my wife's sister (just about all completed maybe another month it really takes some time). So I didn't really feel I was in a position to say no ,also  It seemed like the right thing to do. But as I see now that is  not really legal. But who I am doing it for should make a difference. I guess I should bring it up to her just to clarify that all is ok in this situation. And as I mentioned she has been very accommodating during all our visits to do with the wife's death and getting me reregistered etc. So am I best just to play it by ear ? I don't want to  make any mistakes here What do you think Joe?

38 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

Lots of misinformation on this topic. The intention of the law is this:

1. If you are working - either paid or unpaid - for anyone else, then yes work permit is required.

2. If you are working for yourself with the intention to make money, yes you need a work permit.

3. If you are doing work for yourself with no intention to benefit financially, then no you do not need a work permit.

The first two are basically a catch all for paid work as an employee, volunteer non-paid work or home based informal business. The third applies to things like hobbies or car/home maintenance etc.

The real issue of whether you need a work permit or not to make repairs to your home is whether you intend to sell the house. If you've a history of flipping property than you'll probably need a work permit. If you are just fixing your home to maintain it, then no you will not be in danger of breaking the law.

This sounds good... what if I plan to build a house for me and the wife? I will have two Thai guys help me but essentially I am not going to hire a contractor. I have almost all the tools necessary so I would rather dispense of a shady contractor.

Can I do that without getting in a bind?

7 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

This sounds good... what if I plan to build a house for me and the wife? I will have two Thai guys help me but essentially I am not going to hire a contractor. I have almost all the tools necessary so I would rather dispense of a shady contractor.

Can I do that without getting in a bind?

Don't think any one can answer that but if it were me I would just get on with it....

thumbs.gif.493acb551dc733f5555d9fe7987d97cd.gif

1 hour ago, Time Traveller said:

1. If you are working - either paid or unpaid - for anyone else, then yes work permit is required.

2. If you are working for yourself with the intention to make money, yes you need a work permit.

3. If you are doing work for yourself with no intention to benefit financially, then no you do not need a work permit.

Do you have a link to a official website or a document to support your post.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

The first two are basically a catch all for paid work as an employee, volunteer non-paid work or home based informal business. The third applies to things like hobbies or car/home maintenance etc.

So if you work for yourself with no intention to benefit financially but you "accidentally" end up making a ton of money, you are fine :)

On 2017-5-27 at 2:13 PM, ubonjoe said:

Doing a bit of work on your own home is OK. How much you can get away with depends upon where your home is located.

Having some local help and being the supervisor looks better than doing it all yourself.

When we built our home in a small rural village several years ago I did all the electrical and plumbing myself while workers from the village were doing other things.

If I did not work on the house my missus would show me the door  555

Its very important to try and get along with the locals rather than be the grumpy angry farang who knows best! What i mean is keep everyone happy and in your pocket. Try not to cause anyone to loose face and upset anyone. ok your builder was no good; release him in a face saving way. Try and not make enemies and make them like you.

Today i fixed my builders chainsaw; to say he is over the moon and it did not cost him anything would be an understatement. Now he owes me a favour and i have him in my pocket :)

• Like 1

same question for a million time, and again same wrong answers, you do not need any work permit to work on your own house or rented house. And the people who write technical you need a work permit, should finally stop posting this, because it isn´t true. Work permit you need only if you work for somebody outside yourselfe or family. 

Or you could get arested if you iron your shirt, wash your clothes, bring your mother in law to the doctor, cutting your gras in the garden, cooking for friends. Show your family or friends around some sightseeings. And many other examples what would be a risk for a foreigner if all the poster would be right. 

how long you working for yourselve in your place, home or land without the intention for getting paid or earning money, you not breaking any law in Thailand. 

You could even write a book in your house and sell it for a million dollar to a publishing company or paint a picture and sell it to a gallery for a huge amount and nobody in Tahiland yould make you any problem

4 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

same question for a million time, and again same wrong answers, you do not need any work permit to work on your own house or rented house. And the people who write technical you need a work permit, should finally stop posting this, because it isn´t true. Work permit you need only if you work for somebody outside yourselfe or family. 

Or you could get arested if you iron your shirt, wash your clothes, bring your mother in law to the doctor, cutting your gras in the garden, cooking for friends. Show your family or friends around some sightseeings. And many other examples what would be a risk for a foreigner if all the poster would be right. 

how long you working for yourselve in your place, home or land without the intention for getting paid or earning money, you not breaking any law in Thailand. 

You could even write a book in your house and sell it for a million dollar to a publishing company or paint a picture and sell it to a gallery for a huge amount and nobody in Tahiland yould make you any problem

How very wrong you are - this is exactly why so many "digital nomads" are breaking the law, because the options are generally not there for them to be legal, (without large monthly costs).

Don't confuse nobody "make you any problem" with legal.

Edited by Plug2476

8 hours ago, MaiChai said:

Its very important to try and get along with the locals rather than be the grumpy angry farang who knows best! What i mean is keep everyone happy and in your pocket. Try not to cause anyone to loose face and upset anyone. ok your builder was no good; release him in a face saving way. Try and not make enemies and make them like you.

Today i fixed my builders chainsaw; to say he is over the moon and it did not cost him anything would be an understatement. Now he owes me a favour and i have him in my pocket :)

"Now he owes me a favour and i have him in my pocket :)" - That sir, is a disgusting attitude.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2017 at 9:12 PM, LazySlipper said:

How does working on, or building your own house fall in the category of "work".  I looked into the prohibited jobs for foreigners and I can't find anything prohibiting this. This is important for me as I am planning on building my own house. I do hire two Thais to help me do the difficult work.

Any clear cut info that I can take a look at? Hearsay and opinions are fair enough but the written word stands. If anyone knows please let me know... 

http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/prohibited-occupations-in-thailand.html

Found this link... doesn't seem prohibited to do DIY work on your own house or building it... 

Doooooooo...

now if found this link. I take it all back!

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347

One example is the fellow that built boats/ sailing yachts, down in Pattaya I think.  While it was just his hobby, he ended up selling one of the boats and that was considered a no no.  No doubt somebody could make a case you may sell your hous in the future, or some mindset like that

Wil agree some workmanship is bad re Thai Tradesmen , but over the years I've never had a bad one, just a rather annoying long wait for the good ones to come. Did recommend a fine Builder to a Friend here, he refused politely saying Not work , his Wife nasty person.Ah well, that's that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

1 minute ago, Plug2476 said:

Yes, really !

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/You+scratch+my+back+and+I'll+scratch+yours

You do a favor for me and I'll do a favor for you.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/have+in+pocket

to have complete control over someone

I fink we are all grateful for your contribution today.....sarcastic-applause-smiley-emoticon.gif.28ddae53fca304cdb0ef60263bd0a3f9.gif

• Like 2

On 30.5.2017 at 7:22 AM, Plug2476 said:

How very wrong you are - this is exactly why so many "digital nomads" are breaking the law, because the options are generally not there for them to be legal, (without large monthly costs).

Don't confuse nobody "make you any problem" with legal.

so name me 1 of the digital normads, who got problems with what they are doing?

• Like 1

On 2017-5-29 at 2:12 AM, LazySlipper said:

How does working on, or building your own house fall in the category of "work".  I looked into the prohibited jobs for foreigners and I can't find anything prohibiting this. This is important for me as I am planning on building my own house. I do hire two Thais to help me do the difficult work.

Any clear cut info that I can take a look at? Hearsay and opinions are fair enough but the written word stands. If anyone knows please let me know... 

http://www.thaiworkpermit.com/prohibited-occupations-in-thailand.html

Found this link... doesn't seem prohibited to do DIY work on your own house or building it... 

Doooooooo...

now if found this link. I take it all back!

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347

Your second link was superseded by your first link. The second link is 2009, whilst the first is 2012. Unless there is are any other changes after 2012., then that is the one that applies for your work permit if you need one.

On 2017-5-30 at 1:25 AM, Plug2476 said:

"Now he owes me a favour and i have him in my pocket :)" - That sir, is a disgusting attitude.

NOT a disgusting attitude. It's part of Thai culture that if you do some one a favour, they feel indebted to you until they have returned the favour. If a Thai employee works extra hours to help their boss in an emergency unpaid. The Thai boss will feel they owe the employee a favour. This is an aspect of Thai culture that is worth learning to keep you in the good books of everyone concerned.

• Like 1