Country told to brace for torrential downpours, flooding

webfact

Country told to brace for torrential downpours, flooding
By The Nation

2fcf8b176692e3de07a34a08d2b2335d.jpeg

File photo

BANGKOK: -- Most parts of Thailand have been warned to expect heavy downpours that could trigger flash floods while two tambons of Sukhothai's Khirimas district continue to suffer severe flooding that has affected almost 40,000 residents and almost 18,000 rai (3,000 hectares) of farmland.

The Thai Meteorological Department warned that a tropical depression over Bengal Bay, which became tropical cyclone Mora, is forecast to make landfall over Bangladesh and Myanmar on Tuesday.

It said a strong southwest monsoon prevailed across the Andaman Sea and Thailand and would lead to torrential downpours across the country, especially in the North, the Northeast, the Central region, the East and the upper South. 

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Chatchai Phromlert reported that since May 16 flooding had occurred in 52 districts of 15 provinces, affecting 21,074 households and leading to five deaths. 

Floods had receded in 14 provinces.

Khirimas district’s tambons Sampoung and Thung Luang are still inundated with floodwaters of up to 50 centimetres deep, he said.

He said officials from the province had opened the Pak Phra sluice gate to drain floodwater while officials were helping affected residents.

The water level is dropping, he said.

Overnight rainfall resulted in runoffs from the Sap Sua Map mountain ranges inundating many homes and roads in several tambons of Lop Buri's Muang district early Monday.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30316620

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-29

Tropical Cyclone Two in the Bay of Bengal to Lash Bangladesh, Myanmar, Eastern India With Flooding Rain, Strong Winds

A tropical cyclone has formed in the Bay of Bengal and poses a danger to Bangladesh, Myanmar and perhaps parts of eastern India by Tuesday.

Tropical Cyclone Two is centered about 420 miles south of Chittagong, Bangladesh, as of early Monday morning, local time, with winds estimated as minimal tropical storm force, according to the U.S. Joint Typhoon Warning Center (JTWC).

Capture150.JPG

With little wind shear overhead, and warm water, Two should continue to gain strength, attaining the name "Mora" on Monday, once officially classified as a "cyclonic storm" by the India Meteorological Department.

The tropical cyclone will be pulled north by upper-level steering winds. On that course, the intensifying cyclone will make landfall later Monday or Tuesday in Bangladesh or Myanmar as the equivalent of a stronger tropical storm or a low-end Category 1 hurricane, according to the JTWC forecast.

Read more about Mora at Wunderground.com

19 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

But, but, but every previous ruler or governor said that.....

Yep and under YL her guidance they did not release water to protect rice.. and released it at the worst possible time.. increasing the flooding. The current mob has not made an error like that. In fact they are already releasing somewhere last week.. members were complaining that they should not have done that. Now... the extra rain comes.. had they not started releasing then they would have forced to release even more now.

9 minutes ago, swissbie said:

Fact is, except during the great floods i haven't seen that much water in Thawee Wattana district in the last 20 years, not hoping for more rain to come.

I think this will be the NEW great floods of 2017,...... wanna bet?

7 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yep and under YL her guidance they did not release water to protect rice.. and released it at the worst possible time.. increasing the flooding. The current mob has not made an error like that. In fact they are already releasing somewhere last week.. members were complaining that they should not have done that. Now... the extra rain comes.. had they not started releasing then they would have forced to release even more now.

This was a big problem during some months. They try to keep the dams full for growing rice in the dry season. They were too full early in the season and in some months no water was released. Then we had 25% more rain than normal. The dams couldn't deal with it and they had to release billions of cubic meters over a short space of time. Hopefully management will be better this year, with constant dam releases being made. 

5 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

I think this will be the NEW great floods of 2017,...... wanna bet?

Lets hope not.. but its possible.. so far its good that the rain is so early.. the dams are still not full. But if it goes on like this all the time things might change a lot. 

1 minute ago, DavisH said:

This was a big problem during some months. They try to keep the dams full for growing rice in the dry season. They were too full early in the season and in some months no water was released. Then we had 25% more rain than normal. The dams couldn't deal with it and they had to release billions of cubic meters over a short space of time. Hopefully management will be better this year, with constant dam releases being made. 

Yes it made things a lot worse, but a week ago there was an article about releasing from one dam (don't know why that one was so full.. maybe low capacity). Right away forum members were complaining they should not have done it now and they had to wait.. now if they had waited this storm would have forced them to release even more. So it seems they are doing a better job now.. lets hope they keep it up. 

42 minutes ago, robblok said:

More fake  news. YS came into office on 15 August 2011. The floods hit Bkk by September 2011. To prevent the flood, water had to be released from the dams starting in March. Thus by the time YS started to govern it was too late. AV was the one to blame as he was in control when the flood was building up. Where YS was at fault was to not communicate clearly to people. But then again you have nearly 30 government departments involved in water management in the country and they dont talk to each other. It is impossible to stop floods without waterways to get the water past Bkk. Oops I forgot that was YS plan which was undermined by the yellowshirts. They protested the building of these waterways and in the end the junta used that money for drought relief. If Bkk is git by a flood this year I have no sympathy for them. They allowed politics to override commonsense.

Just now, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

More fake  news. YS came into office on 15 August 2011. The floods hit Bkk by September 2011. To prevent the flood, water had to be released from the dams starting in March. Thus by the time YS started to govern it was too late. AV was the one to blame as he was in control when the flood was building up. Where YS was at fault was to not communicate clearly to people. But then again you have nearly 30 government departments involved in water management in the country and they dont talk to each other. It is impossible to stop floods without waterways to get the water past Bkk. Oops I forgot that was YS plan which was undermined by the yellowshirts. They protested the building of these waterways and in the end the junta used that money for drought relief. If Bkk is git by a flood this year I have no sympathy for them. They allowed politics to override commonsense.

Fake news.. I was the first hit before BKK (bit above BKK) and it was not september it was later oktober. She could have released it far earlier. You know the story too its about the rice and the now gone politician.  (Banharn). Communication was her biggest crime indeed. She kept denying it that the would be flooding people did not prepare enough because they believed her. She knew what was coming had satellite images and planes to spot it but did not want to admit it and costing many poor people tons of money. Quite a few cars here were never moved because they trusted here.. The damage was huge.. all because she did not want to lose face. 

The junta is doing a far better job (as expected) it was also the army that helped me and all the people that were stranded. All YL did was relabel donated goods to show her brothers face on it even though he never paid.. and the pumps he promised.. they never came. Bunch of liars the Shins.

I did not want to go this deep into the subject but hate lies if they are posted. Here some history to reread for you

47 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

1 hour ago, robblok said:

November 11, 2011
Agriculture Minister Theera Wongsamut yesterday acknowledged that the controversial decision to delay the release of water from the country's major dams had been made by the government.

Theera said storms had brought a lot of water in late June, with rain levels in the North over 50 per cent higher than usual. Therefore, the government had not wanted to release water, fearing it would cause more problems for farmers.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/aec/30169695

DIRECTLY RELATED:

Thailand: Crisis in Thai Rice Pledging Scheme

The Thai government, led by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, implemented the rice pledging scheme immediately after the 2011 election

http://www.loc.gov/law/foreign-news/article/thailand-crisis-in-thai-rice-pledging-scheme/

The main priority (besides plotting amnesty for big Brother;) was getting the rice scheme/scam off and running, no matter the cost (severe floods, or as we now know, costs to state coffers). Meanwhile, 2017 could be a very heavy rainfall year following on from El Nino, thus the dams will have to be micro-managed. As pointed out fortunately this has already began with preventive drainage last week in advance of the current rain event taking place now.

21 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You need to stop banging on about YL or Thaksin on every thread mate, it is making you look obsessed and unstable. 

There are a lot more than just "you" that are spouting the same old subjects like war on drugs etc. Lets say that all these subjects have more than one explanation depending on who spoke and who spoken to. 

That is not NEWS.

Every year since 1977 when I happened to be in Thailand  in May there has been rain. a "Short Rainy Season".

That's when just after Songkran the Thai famers plant their Rice.

At roughly  the same rough time in southern Vietnam, while I was in the U.S. Army there we also had rain.

Humid air from the ocean is blown on to the land, and when it is lifted over the hills it releases it's water as rain.

It's been doing this for over a thousand years in Southeast Asia, as the rice farmers know.

Then there is a short dry period and in September and October comes the "long rainy Season"

Sure, the army did assist during the crisis, and yes they helped a lot, but they also used the floods and their role in the crisis as a political tool to attack the democratically elected government (you remember them) while at the same time talking out of the other side of the mouth and 'supporting' YL. Prayuth even said the military had to shoulder equal blame for what happened. 

The floods in 2011 were a Godsend for the Thai military as they were widely distrusted after they dispersed the Red Shirt protests and allegedly killed 90 people. The floods gave them the opportunity to show a more humane and compassionate side. 

You need to stop banging on about YL or Thaksin on every thread mate, it is making you look obsessed and unstable. 

I only mentioned that this time they were releasing water and managing it better than during YL her tenure. Then someone said i was lying and i had to back it up. Do follow the tread who starts things.

The flooding are sensitive to me as i lived through them. I was flooded for 2 months and i do blame YL for making it worse and for lying causing extra damage.

We had a lot of PTP supporters in the village. After the flooding there were a lot less because many lost lots of money because of her lies.

Not obsessed at all you just don't see me post in all the other topics that are non political.

I can only hope the junta keeps doing a good job of releasing water on time and giving accurate information.

That is not to say that a lot more can be done. There is a lot of room for improvement. If they were to force the BMA to allocate more budget and have them clean drains regularly also in the dry season things would be better. Also having some public dumps and better garbage collection would help.

2 hours ago, MaxLee said:

But, but, but every previous ruler or governor said that.....

...but...but...but...that does not matter anymore, because "every previous ruler" is not in charge anymore!

And why is that so?

Oh...right...because they were driven out at gunpoint!

Otherwise I could and would now complain about what they said...

The Thai Met office warned of heavy storms last weekend, including where I live.  It drizzled a couple of times, that's all.  Now that the weekend's over, we got a short but good downpour last night. 

Issuing warnings is good.  I get it.  I used to be a fan of the Thai Met website but at this point, I'm skeptical of their warnings, that seem to be more of a "cover your civil servant ass" tactic.  "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", until the one time they do get it right, and they will proudly defend their "face" and reputation with, "Well, we predicted it and warned you, didn't we?" :sleep:

Edited by 55Jay

4 hours ago, DM07 said:

...but...but...but...that does not matter anymore, because "every previous ruler" is not in charge anymore!

And why is that so?

Oh...right...because they were driven out at gunpoint!

Otherwise I could and would now complain about what they said...

But, but, but,..... whoever is in power now or in the future won't make things better :cheesy::cheesy: