Cab skewered as "impatient" driver tries to outrun barrier on Krung Thep bridge

webfact

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This Title is quite wrong and unfair on the Taxi driver. 

The Taxi did NOT try and beat the barrier... the taxi was clearly driving in flowing traffic when the barrier was simply closed in front of him without any warning at all (the stop lights were not activated). 

http://www.fm91bkk.com/คลิป-นาที-เหล็กกั้นเปิด-ปิด-สะ

This is an electrical fault or a mistake of whoever operates the barriers on the Bridge. 

Exactly correct Richard.........All the doubters please check out this story in English, they are searching for the bridge operator....

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/metal-barrier-crashes-taxi-windy-weather/

Apologies Mods if I am not supposed to copy this link......:wai:

15 hours ago, Basil B said:

Remove the barriers... just have stop lights and and a operator with no view of the bridge . they will soon learn Red means Stop.

They won't learn from that, the best you can hope for is that nobody will do it twice. 

1 hour ago, AhFarangJa said:

Exactly correct Richard.........All the doubters please check out this story in English, they are searching for the bridge operator....

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/metal-barrier-crashes-taxi-windy-weather/

Apologies Mods if I am not supposed to copy this link......:wai:

This just shows that even after posting evidence and a news story to the contrary many posters only read the headline and can't wait, tripping over themselves in their haste to post something negative.... 

GUYS  - READ THE COCONUTS STORY ABOVE AND STOP MAKING STUPID ILL-INFORMED COMMENTS. 

MODS - THIS HEADLINE IS WRONG AND MISLEADING.

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This just shows that even after posting evidence and a news story to the contrary many posters only read the headline and can't wait, tripping over themselves in their haste to post something negative.... 

GUYS  - READ THE COCONUTS STORY ABOVE AND STOP MAKING STUPID ILL-INFORMED COMMENTS. 

MODS - THIS HEADLINE IS WRONG AND MISLEADING.

Absolutely right Richard.  Thanks for taking the time and effort to find the video clip.

As you say, a completely wrong headline that, if one was suitably suspicious, seems to have been written to deliberately evoke exactly the sort of Thai bashing that it inevitably did here on TVF.

Seeing as how TVF was bought by The Nation, one would reasonably expect a higher standard of journalistic and editorial integrity but, no, they seem to have carried on with the old flow and the sometimes  heavy handed moderation.

Edited by saminoz
content adjustment

For those who haven't the time or inclination to check out the link mentioned earlier, here's an excerpt of what it says:

Before the accident, officers were preparing to pause traffic on the bridge so that they could draw it open for a large ship to pass under, but the person responsible for the electric barriers [...] unlocked the metal bars 20 minutes before he was supposed to, causing the accident, according to Bang Kho Laem police.

Unexpectedly, one of the barriers struck through the taxi.

So as far as I can tell, based on this report that seems much more plausible, the driver was completely blameless. 

Edited by GroveHillWanderer

21 hours ago, YetAnother said:

as with the young men recklessly speeding on motorbikes with no helmets; we call them 'short life'

We call them 'organ donors.'

13 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

For those who haven't the time or inclination to check out the link mentioned earlier, here's an excerpt of what it says:

So as far as I can tell, based on this report that seems much more plausible, the driver was completely blameless. 

ah but????no ones ever to blame  in Thailand...you should know that by now:smile:

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did you read the post above yours or the link I posted (Post number 12)

This doesn't serve the taxi driver right, it could have been anyone of us driving down the road when the barrier drops without warning. 

Your comments and many of the others on this thread are unjustified in light of the real story. 

I would also suggest that the Mods Change the Name of this headline as it is simply inaccurate. 

Did you read the Thai Rath story. This is a faithful translation of that. Your link is another version of the event. 

32 minutes ago, kannot said:

ah but????no ones ever to blame  in Thailand...you should know that by now:smile:

I didn't say (and neither does the article) that no-one was to blame. According to the police, "the person responsible for the electric barriers [...] unlocked the metal bars 20 minutes before he was supposed to, causing the accident ..." And he is being sought for prosecution. 

5 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

Did you read the Thai Rath story. This is a faithful translation of that. Your link is another version of the event. 

I think the actual CCTV footage trumps whatever claims the Thai Rath article is trying to peddle. You can see from the video that the version of events given by the police is almost certainly the correct one. The video clearly shows he was driving at the same slow speed as all the other traffic around him when the barrier suddenly deployed without warning. 

Also the pictures showing the barrier sticking through the car are consistent with the police statement, while the version which had him speeding to try to get past the barrier as it came down, just doesn't fit the physical and (more importantly) video evidence.

36 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:
37 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:
  20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did you read the post above yours or the link I posted (Post number 12)

This doesn't serve the taxi driver right, it could have been anyone of us driving down the road when the barrier drops without warning. 

Your comments and many of the others on this thread are unjustified in light of the real story. 

I would also suggest that the Mods Change the Name of this headline as it is simply inaccurate. 

The link contained a video... Did you watch it ?