Irish ban on asylum seekers working unconstitutional - court

webfact

Irish ban on asylum seekers working unconstitutional - court

By Padraic Halpin

DUBLIN (Reuters) - A ban on asylum seekers working in Ireland is unconstitutional, the country's Supreme Court ruled on Tuesday, and it gave lawmakers six months to consider how to address a law it said damages the self-worth of those seeking refugee status.

Ireland is one of two European Union countries - along with Lithuania - that explicitly prohibits employment during the asylum procedure, according to campaigners. With no limitation on application times, the procedure can last years.

Before a decision on their application, asylum seekers in Ireland are required to live in state-provided accommodation known as direct provision centres, where adults are provided with an allowance of 19 euros per week.

The Supreme Court's unanimous ruling involved a Burmese native who arrived in Ireland almost a decade ago. He spent eight years in the system before being granted refugee status and subsequently joining the workforce.

"In my view, the point has been reached when it cannot be said that the legitimate differences between an asylum seeker and a citizen can continue to justify the exclusion of an asylum seeker from the possibility of employment," Justice Donal O'Donnell said in the judgement.

"The damage to the individual's self worth, and sense of themselves, is exactly the damage which the constitutional right seeks to guard against ... If this provision were applied to a citizen, it would be difficult if not impossible to justify."

Irish support for asylum seekers has been heavily criticised in recent years, and the government is implementing a series of recommendations made two years ago by a judge-led review of the direct provision system.

The review found that most of the near 8,000 residents in direct provision in 2015 did not have access to cooking facilities and that the financial allowance was inadequate to cover essential items such as health care costs, prescription charges and clothing, including school uniforms.

The government has increased the additional allowance per child to 15.60 euros from 9.60, still only half the rate recommended by the review.

The Immigrant Council of Ireland said the ruling was "unqualified good news" and would remove a key barrier to the integration of asylum seekers in Ireland.

"The impact of the work ban goes much further than simply being denied the right to get a job. It affects self-esteem, mental health, their children, limits them to a life lived in poverty and affects their opportunity to integrate into Irish society," Immigrant Council of Ireland CEO Brian Killoran said.

(Editing by Larry King)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-31

1 minute ago, oxo1947 said:

Or show up---dont do anything...just sit around get money from the state because your not allowed to work----which ones better ??

Give them work permits, and the rest of their extended families will be on their way in no time. You won't be able to walk into a 7-11 and see it manned by real Irish in a few years.

Just now, bert bloggs said:

Dont let them in ,in the first place , sorted 

None at all...........?? Can you remember any Irish history --- Ireland was one of only 2 countries in history to have more people living outside their own country than inside it,

But now things are good----so shut the door pull the curtains-------sorted..........:coffee1:

20 minutes ago, Cuchulainn said:

Dublin is fast becoming like London. There'll soon be suicide bombers in Grafton Street!

Bombs being let off in Ireland ---wow ..is that what they call Karma Cuchhulainn ? 

How do you think they would do it.....leave them in a pub where young people are sitting drinking, or in a car  parked on a busy street in a working area....................:coffee1:

Edited by oxo1947

19 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

Bombs being let off in Ireland ---wow ..is that what they call Karma Cuchhulainn ? 

How do you think they would do it.....leave them in a pub where young people are sitting drinking, or in a car  parked on a busy street in a working area....................:coffee1:

As far as I remember, there were only 2 big terrorist bombing incidents in Ireland. Dublin and Monaghan in 1974. So, bombs in Ireland is a rarity.

Now Belfast. That's a different story. I was caught up in many a pub/shopping centre bomb warning.

Scary stuff even though there was a warning.

Just now, Cuchulainn said:

As far as I remember, there were only 2 big terrorist bombing incidents in Ireland. Dublin and Monaghan in 1974. So, bombs in Ireland is a rarity.

Yes....bombs in English pubs also used to be a rarity............:coffee1:

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

Dont let them in ,in the first place , sorted 

Are you Irish?

This St. Patrick’s Day, Imagine An America Without Irish Immigrants

"During the Potato Famine of the 19th century, nearly 1 million Irish immigrated to America — the first large wave of refugees the country had ever encountered."

"Many faced virulent prejudice, and were denied employment and basic dignity upon arrival to this country."

"Despite these obstacles, doors were opened for the Irish, and generations hence, the Irish have made an indelible mark on the country."

http://fortune.com/2017/03/17/st-patricks-day-irish-immigration/

1 hour ago, Usernames said:

Show up, claim refugee status, get a work permit, work the courts for a couple of decades, and voila, virtually a citizen.

Yep. That's they way it works.

Unlike, for example, the imperialist British Empire who marched in and occupied sovereign countries by force.

Around the world.

2 minutes ago, iReason said:

Yep. That's they way it works.

Unlike, for example, the imperialist British Empire who marched in and occupied sovereign countries by force.

Around the world.

So did most EU countries...You may recall the Italians ruled the UK for centuries...Then the Normans eh....:smile:

2 hours ago, Usernames said:

Give them work permits, and the rest of their extended families will be on their way in no time.

You won't be able to walk into a 7-11 and see it manned by real Irish in a few years.

And your point is?

After a generation or two, these working families contributing to the economy will be Irish.

:coffee1:

7 minutes ago, iReason said:

And your point is?

After a generation or two, these working families contributing to the economy will be Irish.

You must be completely unaware of 'Second Generation Syndrome' when it comes to refugees and immigrants.

Maybe educate yourself a little. 

8 minutes ago, DLang said:

You must be completely unaware of 'Second Generation Syndrome' when it comes to refugees and immigrants.

You must be completely unaware that most people somewhere down the line, are of mixed ancestry.

4 minutes ago, iReason said:

Correct.

No mixed ancestry there... :whistling:

We are all mixed ancestry but the big difference today is television and the Internet...In bygone years folks just mixed and got on with life, now, folk can mull over Net info, good and bad..Oh, I am from Norman stock....:stoner:

4 hours ago, transam said:

In name only....

Not only in name but integrated. I know it's common for some little Englanders to deny those with foreign-sounding (especially Muslim) names as being UK citizens.

Much more rare for that ethnic & racial bias in Ireland.

Yes, I'm Irish & I am happy that my country welcomes real refugees from countries invaded & bombed by the usual warmongers.

2 hours ago, khunken said:

Not only in name but integrated. I know it's common for some little Englanders to deny those with foreign-sounding (especially Muslim) names as being UK citizens.

Much more rare for that ethnic & racial bias in Ireland.

Yes, I'm Irish & I am happy that my country welcomes real refugees from countries invaded & bombed by the usual warmongers.

Yes, little Englanders know all about Irish bombers thank you........

10 hours ago, iReason said:

Around the world.

As did Spain, Portugal, Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, the US, Japan etc, but cute to see the obligatory GB hatred on this site.

5 hours ago, khunken said:

Usual warmongers, eh? You mean those gallant countries that put-in during WWII and made the world free while certain others did nowt but reaped the rewards anyway? I'd be happy too, shameful and guilt-ridden, but happy. Though I wonder if you'll be as enamoured with your 'real' refugees several years down the line post-Brexit when they start piling in. Look out, Ireland; not everybody loves you.

Edited by daveAustin

9 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

As did Spain, Portugal, Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, the US, Japan etc, but cute to see the obligatory GB hatred on this site.

Only haters use the word hate.

I haven't used that word in decades. For nothing.

Speak for yourself parochial one.

And please don't reply to me again with your childish drivel.

Or anything else for that matter.

Got it?

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

Ireland better be careful ....   another Germany in the making.

It's time EU and others put a stop to these country shoppers ......

Yes, the German economy is in terrible shape. In fact, it's been weakened by the refugee influx that last year it recorded a record budget surplus. DISASTER!

45 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Usual warmongers, eh? You mean those gallant countries that put-in during WWII and made the world free while certain others did nowt but reaped the rewards anyway? I'd be happy too, shameful and guilt-ridden, but happy. Though I wonder if you'll be as enamoured with your 'real' refugees several years down the line post-Brexit when they start piling in. Look out, Ireland; not everybody loves you.

WWII eh? Just try and overcome your 'obligatory' hate and use Google to see how many Irish men & women fought in various British regiments during the war.

I was referring to the far more recent wars & invasions that your country took part in and caused all the mayhem that refugees were & are escaping from. More refugees down the line will only happen if your country continues to reply 'how high' when the US says 'jump'.

BTW I don't hate the UK - only it's disastrous foreign policy.

14 hours ago, iReason said:

Are you Irish?

This St. Patrick’s Day, Imagine An America Without Irish Immigrants

"During the Potato Famine of the 19th century, nearly 1 million Irish immigrated to America — the first large wave of refugees the country had ever encountered."

"Many faced virulent prejudice, and were denied employment and basic dignity upon arrival to this country."

"Despite these obstacles, doors were opened for the Irish, and generations hence, the Irish have made an indelible mark on the country."

http://fortune.com/2017/03/17/st-patricks-day-irish-immigration/

Only the Irish integrated, didn't rape the natives en masse, didn't terrorize the natives, didn't push for parallel legal systems nor true multiculturalism, they didn't bring child brides or multiple wives, they're not pushing for female genital mutilation and most importantly they loved America and our culture.

Or maybe I'm wrong and I just missed all that stuff in history class?