Has city Thailand lost it's culture to the machines and money?

thaibeachlovers

Just back in Bangkok, and been on the skytrain and in Terminal 21.

Seems that on the skytrain almost everyone is busy texting and have their face in the machines, while Terminal 21 was chock a block with city folk.

Seems to me that LOS city folk have sold their birthright/ culture in exchange for pottage/ money and things.

A mess of pottage is something immediately attractive but of little value taken foolishly and carelessly in exchange for something more distant and perhaps less tangible but immensely more valuable. The phrase alludes to Esau's sale of his birthright for a meal ("mess") of lentil stew ("pottage") in Genesis 25:29-34 and connotes shortsightedness and misplaced priorities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mess_of_pottage

Your comments and opinions........................

NB I'm not talking about country folk.

It seems from my observation Thais love their mobile phones & FB & Line more than any other race in the world. Surely this isn't just a BKK thing but in other places all around Thailand?

1 hour ago, bbi1 said:

Surely this isn't just a BKK thing but in other places all around Thailand?

things are just as bad in chiang mai !

there are eight people at this table ... all on smartphones :(

dave2

basic bar 8 thais on smartphones 24 oct 16 20161024_213854.jpg

1 hour ago, dave2 said:

things are just as bad in chiang mai !

there are eight people at this table ... all on smartphones :(

dave2

basic bar 8 thais on smartphones 24 oct 16 20161024_213854.jpg

Maybe they're a group of mutes who are deaf and can't talk so they need to communicate to each other via group chat on Line or Whatsapp :post-4641-1156694572:

Tell me how many I get correct, your over 60, dont own a smart phone, dont believe in medicine for a headache or other simple ailments, rarelly travel, live in the country possibly a farm, dont get out much.

14 hours ago, bbi1 said:

It seems from my observation Thais love their mobile phones & FB & Line more than any other race in the world. Surely this isn't just a BKK thing but in other places all around Thailand?

made a big mistake and bought my GF an upscale mobile phone and tablet, instead of talking to me, now she spends hours watching ( stupid ) vdo clips... at least I don't have to shut her up anymore. And she is a mature lady, far away from being a teen.

Edited by Deli

1 hour ago, RBOP said:

Tell me how many I get correct, your over 60, dont own a smart phone, dont believe in medicine for a headache or other simple ailments, rarelly travel, live in the country possibly a farm, dont get out much.

Very amusing. This might not describe thaibeachlovers, but it certainly sounds like me.

Thanks for the definition... and yes, but I think it is a worldwide issue... and yes, it is here in Baan Nork too... people can bury themselves in their devices, probably just a smaller % and also that they do have time to distract from it and converse too... 

Enjoy your move back to CM... 

anything that requires the user to have little brain power, be juvenile or think they are self important will always be popular here,  smart thinking and common sense are simply not part of thai culture

All those people are probably out having fun, chatting to friends, doing something they enjoy, whilst you are alone, whinging about them having fun on the internet.

I know who i would prefer to be, or who i would prefer to be around.

The people walking like they are following their phones bother me. Neither you nor they know where they are going and they are likely to walk into you.

Phones can save face though. I saw a group of 3 girls two of which were having a great conversation. The third pretended to be busy on her phone.

What on earth else should they do on their tedious hour long commute on the sky train? I bring my phone with me on the train and use it pretty much all the time between getting on and off. 

As fascinating as the tunnels of the MRT are I would rather browse the news, watch a video or chat with friends. If this bothers anybody it is okay because I am so absorbed by my phone I wouldn't notice you anyway. :) This is another point of using a phone on public transport it creates a privacy barrier. 

But please tell me exactly what would be a better use of time when on the subway.

On 6/1/2017 at 7:57 AM, Deli said:

made a big mistake and bought my GF an upscale mobile phone and tablet, instead of talking to me, now she spends hours watching ( stupid ) vdo clips.

So what was the mistake?

On 1/6/2560 at 3:12 PM, anotheruser said:

What on earth else should they do on their tedious hour long commute on the sky train? I bring my phone with me on the train and use it pretty much all the time between getting on and off. 

As fascinating as the tunnels of the MRT are I would rather browse the news, watch a video or chat with friends. If this bothers anybody it is okay because I am so absorbed by my phone I wouldn't notice you anyway. :) This is another point of using a phone on public transport it creates a privacy barrier. 

But please tell me exactly what would be a better use of time when on the subway.

Exactly...I think some 'farang' are just annoyed they are not getting noticed like they used to. 

I used to see people on trains reading books.
Was on a Vienna to Frankfurt flight and had a Thai lady next to me playing silly games on TWO gsm's at the same time.
Was in Bangkok last week on a one day trip and indeed near every one on their phones, not for talking.
What to do on the BTS?
Watch people on their phones.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, tartempion said:

I used to see people on trains reading books.
Was on a Vienna to Frankfurt flight and had a Thai lady next to me playing silly games on TWO gsm's at the same time.
Was in Bangkok last week on a one day trip and indeed near every one on their phones, not for talking.
What to do on the BTS?
Watch people on their phones.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

"What to do on the BTS?" - Check out hot girls asses and boobs since they are too busy with their phones :)

"Used to see peeps reading books" - Well, maybe they are reading digital books in their phones these days....or reading websites.....or reading Facebook....or just watching some Youtube

Hordes of young Farangs at best remote palm beaches chatting about their actual sunburn condition and a slippery rock 3 minutes ago, sending pictures of a bird high above them and for the 735th time the sea in front, chatting about endless boring matters back home ........

It's ok. When we were young, we were at the beaches to get away as far as possible from daily life back home. Just old school

The older people are the more they complain about things like mobiles, I love my phone its easy to read news check my emails and so on. Never bored again in a skytrain. I too have been with friends and took out my mobile. How is that so different then talking with 2 friends at the same time ? As long as you give other also attention I don't see the problem. Times are changing and Thaivisa is mainly an OAP forum so its normal complaints about this are being aired here. Just remember what your parents complained about your "new" things. 

My parents complained about the music I heard, the clothes I wear, my long hair, about my friends, with whom I hitchhiked through Europe, Asia and Australia. I never complained about the things my 21 year old daughter has and does, but inside me I would say, she could be more Jack Kerouac. 

13 hours ago, Birdman said:

My parents complained about the music I heard, the clothes I wear, my long hair, about my friends, with whom I hitchhiked through Europe, Asia and Australia. I never complained about the things my 21 year old daughter has and does, but inside me I would say, she could be more Jack Kerouac. 

Kerouac died a sad drunk, but he sure had fun in his younger days.