Video: "Graap" my feet footage causing a stir as female student gets nasty

webfact

4 hours ago, HooHaa said:

the US is a diverse place, believe it or not there remain pockets of good

Yes there are many good parts of the USA and some great people and role models.  We tend to hear about the bad side with mass shootings and racist attacks and it's the scale of these things that shock.  I know that many posters on TV will have children in Thai schools because Thailand is where they live and they have little choice. We moved to the UK for our son's education and before then he went to an international school which was useless as well.  We all want the best for our children but often have different views of what that is. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

One of the worst aspects of Thai society is this feudal hierarchical social system of bowing down and respecting people not on ability or worth but on position and money. These days I do not buy into it and never wai back and never wai anyone, none of them deserve it anyway.

Just power tripping bully

2 hours ago, sanukjim said:

This "IS" and has "ALWAYS" been the culture practice of Thais from years ago ages.They learn from a very early age by observing others that when you have the advantage of rank,status,or position that the one considered higher up not only can abuse others but must from time to time exercise this "Right". That is why you see the two sets of laws here today and the "Do you know who my father is" syndrome.You see this all over Asia in the abuse of maids and house servants as the employer see it those that have to work for him or her are to be treated as such.  because it is so.This idea is slowly evaporating but still slowly. As Trink pointed out TIT

No it has not always been part of Thai culture, a certain very wise personage who probably cannot be named here outlawed prostration in the 19th cent, grovelling ended then but was brought back in more recent times. 

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

alot worse than that happens in US schools ....

Why are you comparing the US to here

The story is about what happens here and what happened

In the US they can do a like on an independent FB, here you dare not, never see you commenting on the freedom issue.

Looks like another one who is missing home and cannot go back.

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

alot worse than that happens in US schools ....

You seems to have forgot those yearly gun masacre incidents at schools in the US...

I believe those Schools would rather prefere "graap thao" incidents - dont you think...??...;)

Nothing to see here folks, move along....these sort of shenanigans have been going on for ever. I remember girls scrapping at school during my brief stint in the education system. I still volunteer to do the naughty girls spanking though...

4 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Good job we are not there then and this story has nothing to do with the USA.

Seems there are many that just can not stop from slagging the US at any opportunity, good or bad.

9 hours ago, HooHaa said:

im glad my kid is in the US studying. 

serious social issues here. 

9 hours ago, HooHaa said:

I hated school in the US.

Southern California. 9th grade was last year.

i am helping one girl university Khon Kaen.

Accounting degree. Hope it's not a waste of time and money.

Bullying is something that exists all over the world. 
What we sometimes see in the news about bullies, even in my own country just blows my mind.

I have seen both sides, but I actually never backed down from a bully and they eventually just gave up as
it was to much effort to try to get me down and not get hit themselves. 

6 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

In that case, why don't we discuss the bullying that goes on in somewhere like Jamaica, since bullying in Thailand seems to hold no interest for you.

Discussing bullying in Thailand is fine, the actual bone of contention was the assertion that bullies dont exist in other countries or that its somehow worse in Thailand.

Edited by onthesoi

5 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

No it has not always been part of Thai culture, a certain very wise personage who probably cannot be named here outlawed prostration in the 19th cent, grovelling ended then but was brought back in more recent times. 

Hey read the article,This is not about" prostration" which is the( lack of energy or power) but taking advantage of ones perceived position.

11 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Why are you comparing the US to here

The story is about what happens here and what happened

In the US they can do a like on an independent FB, here you dare not, never see you commenting on the freedom issue.

Looks like another one who is missing home and cannot go back.

If you read the complete thread comments you will see I was answering someone comment that ' I'm glad my child goes to a US school '  

this is Thailand - they wai they don't shake hands. This isn't you're home country and you are a guest here.

What sort of host expects guests to crawl on their hands and knees before them?

10 minutes ago, NCFC said:

What sort of host expects guests to crawl on their hands and knees before them?

Huh? Where does that happen? I've seen it in royal/religious situations, and I've seen it with household servant situations (left me in a funk for years). But I can't recall this kind of grovelling between a host and guests. Sick obsequiousness, sure.

15 hours ago, starky said:

Yeah unlike the US. Zero social issues there. No bullies or suicides or kids shooting up high schools like in Thailand,  thank god. Wish I could live or study in the US where everything is so perfect and unlike Thailand

Ah, lets take the piss out of the yank and what fun. If you can put down your Leo for a second, I know of four families who have done the same. From the US, but one from the UK, all want their kids schooled in a non thai school. Yes I bet a more rigorous education, but as important is different cultural values. One of which is spelled out in the Original Post/News Article; shock, gasp, horror! 

Edited by LomSak27

18 hours ago, HooHaa said:

It's hopefully a good school there for your kid.

Remember, there are good schools in Thailand as well.

Or did you refer to Thai students behaviour vs. US students behaviour ?

Well, good luck anyway.

18 hours ago, G Marks said:

I would lose my sh1t if it were my daughter, her parents would cop the full wrath and not the kid of course.

Chances the elder girl is from a wealthier family. Perhaps believes all with less status should kiss her feet.