Moving South to the Sea

The Dark Lord

On 6/7/2017 at 1:53 AM, The Dark Lord said:

Dear (Moto?) Guzzi850,

Thanks not only for your caring and selfless approach to our quandary but also for sharing a bit of your life. Sounds fantastic right up to the point where you mentioned snakes!

i know we live in a country where snakes abound and where the little buggers will either squeeze you to death, bite you with a very nasty venom or just scare the cr** out if you but out of all living creatures that walk, slither, crawl swim or undulate on this wonderful planet on which we live,apart from sharks, nothing is more likely to give me that final heart attack that, from the doctors advice through the years based on my less than restrained lifestyle is just around the corner, than the sight of a sodding snake making itself comfortable "chez moi"

Being of an age where my handsomeness still counts and if you squint in very poor light you can appreciate why I remain a " handsome man" the final boom of the old ticker is something I would prefer to avoid if at all possible.

were you joking? ( I can on occasions be a bit slow or thick but I got the elephant and tiger joke but was the snake thing a joke or not?)If it was a genuine comment then what can be done to dissuade said slithering nightmare from coming near the house? Electric fencing? A deep water moat? 

Apart from a possible visit from "Hissing Sid" lifestyle sounds almost idyllic and thanks for sharing. 

When we do firm up the trip trip plans will more than likely be in your "manor" so maybe if ok with you, the offer of sunset refreshments could ebpntice a brief but exhaustive information download face to face? 

Cheers

TDL

Dear Dark Lord,

No I am not joking at all. Snakes are very stealth and silent and sadly our dog is not interested in them. My friend have 3 Jack Russell terriers and they hunt the snakes if they see them.

The one in the picture (in the neighbors garden) is not dangerous for humans, beautiful snake.

I one time on a motor bike trip to Koh Samoi, I ran a snake over by accident (it came out from the jungle so no time to avoid it) and it was a Cobra! Thankfully I was going so fast that it didn't had time to bite me.

Cheers

Moto Guzzi 850 LM2

DSCF0343-2.jpg.042a49160cabc94b198f41c7c4811b0c.jpg

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, guzzi850m2 said:

Dear Dark Lord,

No I am not joking at all. Snakes are very stealth and silent and sadly our dog is not interested in them. My friend have 3 Jack Russell terriers and they hunt the snakes if they see them.

The one in the picture (in the neighbors garden) is not dangerous for humans, beautiful snake.

I one time on a motor bike trip to Koh Samoi, I ran a snake over by accident (it came out from the jungle so no time to avoid it) and it was a Cobra! Thankfully I was going so fast that it didn't had time to bite me.

Cheers

Moto Guzzi 850 LM2

DSCF0343-2.jpg.042a49160cabc94b198f41c7c4811b0c.jpg

I had the pleasure of doing pretty much the same in Singapore on the Bukit Timah mountain bike trail but on a mountain bike. 

It is is crazy how time stands still whilst you fill your Lycra under such circumstances An awesome trail but wild monkeys occasional snakes and untold amounts of small biting things could upset the ride. I had one mate who came accross a dead human body whilst doing the course it buggered his day up completely!

18 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

Off-topic I know, but foreigners are definitely not allowed to visit the Royal Thai Navy beaches at Thung Prong Sattahip.

I was there with my wife last Friday.

I managed to drive through 3 checkpoints (dark window tint on the car) before getting to one of the two beaches (the other road was closed off).

My wife went to the toilet and I started taking a few photos.

An armed Navy guy soon appeared muttering about the "falung" but did not approach me so I ignored him.

When my wife came out of the toilet he spoke to her quite sternly (but politely) and she had to apologise and we took out leave.

Foreigners are not allowed on the base.

It was low tide.

IMG_6034_s.JPG

I have been on beaches on Navy land and did not get stopped.

True, there are non-allowed for Foreigners gates but not the beaches.

A lot of these soldiers have never seen a foreigner and don't know what to do so take the easy way out and send you away.

I also think you got send away as you were taking pictures which is not allowed on Navy property.

You are right about foreigners not allowed on the Navy Militairy Base but that is not for the beaches and you have to leave your ID with the guard at the gate which incidentally also applys to Thais.

Anyway, have a nice day.

11 hours ago, The Dark Lord said:

I had the pleasure of doing pretty much the same in Singapore on the Bukit Timah mountain bike trail but on a mountain bike. 

It is is crazy how time stands still whilst you fill your Lycra under such circumstances An awesome trail but wild monkeys occasional snakes and untold amounts of small biting things could upset the ride. I had one mate who came accross a dead human body whilst doing the course it buggered his day up completely!

As a matter of interest and rather off your topic,  I was responsible for pushing for the MTB trail in Singapore at Bukit Timah reserve,  I mapped it out and cut through in the then virgin jungle to make it possible,  this was done in conjunction with National Parks,   The original trail was 7.42k in length.  Would have been mid nineties I guess.

3 hours ago, bandito said:

I have been on beaches on Navy land and did not get stopped.

True, there are non-allowed for Foreigners gates but not the beaches.

A lot of these soldiers have never seen a foreigner and don't know what to do so take the easy way out and send you away.

I also think you got send away as you were taking pictures which is not allowed on Navy property.

You are right about foreigners not allowed on the Navy Militairy Base but that is not for the beaches and you have to leave your ID with the guard at the gate which incidentally also applys to Thais.

Anyway, have a nice day.

I agree about the taking pictures part. Worst case scenario would be an arrest by armed guards and charged with espionage. Not saying this happens here, but sure does in many other countries.

On 08/06/2017 at 9:08 AM, Rimmer said:

As a matter of interest and rather off your topic,  I was responsible for pushing for the MTB trail in Singapore at Bukit Timah reserve,  I mapped it out and cut through in the then virgin jungle to make it possible,  this was done in conjunction with National Parks,   The original trail was 7.42k in length.  Would have been mid nineties I guess.

An awesome trail and unless you have a reasonably good level of fitness a bit of a ball breaker. Thanks for making it, I used it every weekend. Startedby going from the end further and further inwards until I felt brave enough to do it all. Always take at least one other person with you in case. 

Couldnt do it now though.

11 hours ago, NYGuy816 said:

Hua Hin or Rayong. Laid back, has plenty of offerings and conveniences and less touristy.

Hi NY Guy, 

i feel ( admittedly only after two x 1 week visits) that HH is too Falangy and expensive both to buy property as well as in general living expenses. Rayong is a new and so far unexplored area for me and the current Mrs D Lord ( Though right now I am in the dog house for some perceived heinous crime with the current Mrs D Lord but she will / usually comes around after a sulk) intending to plan a trip down to Rayong this coming week. Have had some lovely invites to be shown around by some extremely selfless TVF members which I hope to take up as step one of a very long but fun exercise to finally find our home in which to while away my autumnal years. 

Cheers

TDL

Just got back from my third visit to Hua Hin & Pranburi 

Nice city with all the amenities necessary.....but what really attracts us is the light....the sky is much clearer, both at day and night.....coming back down the M7 I could see the pollution getting worse......

With this area ear marked as the industrial heart, things can only get more uncomfortable......like the midlands in England 

On 8 June 2560 BE at 9:08 AM, Rimmer said:

Be nice to see some pics if you have any

On 15/06/2017 at 8:55 PM, DD13 said:

Be nice to see some pics if you have any

Wish I had some but the few I did have ended up in the ex wife's shipping container ( along with a number of other unaccounted for items!)

On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 2:16 PM, The Dark Lord said:

Sadly , as I have posted earlier, the current Mrs Dark Lord is not very keen ( understatement) on the Krabi / Phuket suggestions coz she considers it to be too far from the "ever loving, considerate" tribe in Issan. I however consider every additional km between them and us a bonus of virtually incomparable value to my life. After all if they really are as skint as they lay claim to be, the chances of a "visit" diminish tangentially with every km added to the separation. 

I however consider every additional km between them and us a bonus of virtually incomparable value to my life.

LOL. I see we are on the same page there. Had I remained in Pattaya with the once beloved, and far from the once beloved's family, she might well be the still beloved.

With that in mind, can I recommend that wherever you end up you live in a one bedroom place so Mrs DL can't offer them somewhere to stay. Even a large living room is an incentive for them to invade on a regular basis, as I found to my cost and ultimate marital doom.

BTW, Divorce isn't stressful in Thailand if one is lucky enough to have a mutual agreement necessitating only a visit to the local government office and the handing over of a few baht, unlike back home where it inevitably involves lawyers and courts etc. For me the divorce itself was liberation from the once beloved but currently woman from hell. Also, just the thought that the family would no longer be able to darken my door was an extremely positive feeling. The day I saw them for the very last time was like a very dark shadow had been lifted from my life, hurrah.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I however consider every additional km between them and us a bonus of virtually incomparable value to my life.

LOL. I see we are on the same page there. Had I remained in Pattaya with the once beloved, and far from the once beloved's family, she might well be the still beloved.

With that in mind, can I recommend that wherever you end up you live in a one bedroom place so Mrs DL can't offer them somewhere to stay. Even a large living room is an incentive for them to invade on a regular basis, as I found to my cost and ultimate marital doom.

BTW, Divorce isn't stressful in Thailand if one is lucky enough to have a mutual agreement necessitating only a visit to the local government office and the handing over of a few baht, unlike back home where it inevitably involves lawyers and courts etc. For me the divorce itself was liberation from the once beloved but currently woman from hell. Also, just the thought that the family would no longer be able to darken my door was an extremely positive feeling. The day I saw them for the very last time was like a very dark shadow had been lifted from my life, hurrah.

Oh TBL my friend, I am not renowned for being the epitome of happiness and smiling at 0730 on a Sunday morning but my friend you made me laugh so much it necessitated a trip to the "hong nam" 

thanks so so much for that!

please bear with me on our visit " down south" as my baby has developed a rather nasty illness ( head gasket starting to go on the BM) necessitating a rather severe diversion of funds and ( hopefully) a minor delay in the trip. 

Sorry old old chap but I just cannot stop giggling at your post which I realise is serious but so well written.... 

cheers

THL

p.s.  Maybe now you see why I carry the moniker Dark Lord....