Want to buy a new secure Safe ....

SurinBeach

Hi,

I just broke into my old safe of 10 years in 2 minutes after watching a few youtube videos.

(It weighs Maybe 20Kg but the front panel was made of cheap plastic)

So I need a replacement safe now...

Homepro seem to have a few but does anyone know if they too can be broken easily ?

Kingdom and SentrySafe seem to be the only two brands. My Budget is circa 10k to 20k thb

(Phuket based BTW.)

Cheers

SB

For 10k to 20k you get quite serious stuff.

But maybe you will have the problem to get it (discreetly) to your place as such safes would weigh 100kg up.

I would avoid any plastic/electronic gadget things.

Buy one with 4 wheel (number) rotary lock plus mechanical key.

Kind like this:

A002298.jpg

If you break into this in 2 minutes let me know and I have to invest.

The thing in the picture is from the OfficeMate catalog, weighs 53 kg and cost 5300 Baht.

OfficeMate shops only have a small selection on stock.

You would have to discuss how to order another model.

51 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

For 10k to 20k you get quite serious stuff.

But maybe you will have the problem to get it (discreetly) to your place as such safes would weigh 100kg up.

I would avoid any plastic/electronic gadget things.

Buy one with 4 wheel (number) rotary lock plus mechanical key.

Kind like this:

A002298.jpg

If you break into this in 2 minutes let me know and I have to invest.

The thing in the picture is from the OfficeMate catalog, weighs 53 kg and cost 5300 Baht.

OfficeMate shops only have a small selection on stock.

You would have to discuss how to order another model.

look on internet (u tube) how to open about any safe sold in Thailand,

also the type in the picture above . The small ones i can open in 3 sec without any tool (just look

the clip and try it) the more complicated ones can take e few minutes !

The light ones are just picked up and taken away, a medium crowbar  will free up the bolted in the floor(wall)ones........

A 120 kilo safe can be carried in ( so also out) by my wife and sister.........using 2 little floor mats.....

So ...........a 500kg one ????? Hopefully you are not at home when they come in to steal it, because you will have to open it with a knife on your throat.

So final advise : buy a small one , they can take away , put 1000 bht in it ,dont hide it .

The real goodies are not kept in the house ,or hide them smartly.........look again on u tube for ideas

By the way....what is your adres ????  

27 minutes ago, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

If you need proper security look at Chubb safes they are secure but expensive. But for Chanotes etc use a CB locker safe deposit box with insurance.

Chubb safes are good, but only if you don't have to move. I have one since many years, but i have to let it go, as we are moving and couldn't find a reasonable transport option (small, but 400 kg).

I installed safes for 3 companies in NZ.....many years ago (70s) & had to go out and open ones that people had forgotten their combination----(yer that happens a lot more then you would think.)

If you can have enough time with a safe you will always open it---so the best way is for the thief to take it, not as hard as it seems they used to be dynabolted to the floor, & the idea was to always try to put them in a corner so the pulling them from the ground with the 6 ft angled crowbar--(the weapon of choice) was made more difficult--the invention of the Morris Mini car in the 60s was a boom to the safe cracker as it also had a mini Jack --scrapping away the concrete - sliding  it under little by little allowed them to raise the safe, then onto the trolley and into the van.

Dynabolts these days are a lot more technical, the expensive ones come with a glass vial and a 2 pack solution as you tighten them up it brakes mixes  expands and hardens. If one does not live in a Condo then a "Good" underground safe IMO is the way to go....it must have a round head --(why they ever made square ones I dont know--because 5 minutes in a safe shop with a ruler and I would know exactly where to drill for the bolt) should always have a glass re-locker--as should the stand alone safes. The upside to the underground safe is their less expensive, can be installed yourself (get the chaing in to dig the hole in the closet or where-ever) he doesn't have to know what its for. Downside is space restriction if you are wanting to put ledgers etc in there----but a good rule of thumb in the industry is the less they have to attack the harder it is.

I haven't really had much interest in Safes for eons  but what little I have seen in Thailand they may  not have a decent underground safe.

** BTW dont be bedazzled by how heavy the one they are trying to sell you is--I never worked with anything larger than a 2 man team in NZ...if it takes to men in a van and the right sort of trolley to wheel it in...then it takes 2 men to wheel it out.

Edited by oxo1947

Buy a few dogs. The wealthiest people in my city (we all know there is some mega rich Thai) have any loose money buried under ground in a big cage with some dogs. Many people who are close to them know this but don't bother going for it due to the dogs. Then the yard around it obviously has your other dogs, fences, security cameras etc. Only way to get through dogs is to shoot them, and by shooting the first ones, it doesn't take long before the community are alerted (who help out a lot of the time)...a few months ago someone from another village stole a bag of rice from someone in our village and the community all jumped on their bikes/cars and caught them (until police came). 

I think generally if people see it as a bit of hassle to get into the place, they will just go for an easier house. Dogs create that hassle.  

26 minutes ago, lucjoker said:

Not supporting buying a safe like that, Global house has better ones,  install a safe in your home but also dig a hole somewhere within the house area and secure a fireproof safe with your valuables in a secret location that's the way if you want fail safe system.

Buy a cheap safe and throw some things in it that make noise when shaken and use aluminum bolts to attach it something in an easy to find location in your house.  Then put your valuables in an old ice cream container in the freezer.

Maybe I'm slow.....but why does anyone need a safe? Not for money surely not these days...who has a lot of cash...at least not for honest money. Valuables? Keep them in a safety deposit box in a bank with identifiable security.

Off topic........I'm curious...why do you think you need a safe?

Antique watches?

None of the videos proofs anything.

First one is a how to use a dial lock. So what. He does not show that a mechanical key has to be used additionally (which we have and I suggested).

Second one is a brute force attack to a certain type of US made safe.

You claim that this applies to "every safe Made in Thailand".

Where do you get your confidence from?

Safes have different construction and safety ratings.

Third one is the age old toybox thing. Yaawn.

Who buys a 999 Baht "safe" should not be too surprised.

36 minutes ago, tryasimight said:

Maybe I'm slow.....but why does anyone need a safe? Not for money surely not these days...who has a lot of cash...at least not for honest money. Valuables? Keep them in a safety deposit box in a bank with identifiable security.

Off topic........I'm curious...why do you think you need a safe?

Antique watches?

You have a very limited view on what a safe is for.

We have all kind of important documents in the safe (passports, land papers, vehicle books, insurance docs, pension and other home country documents, backup plastic cards etc.). Additionally gold and jewelry of course. Usually no cash.

And the safe is simply the place to be for important stuff.

You know where it is. In a Thai household otherwise everything is hidden. Just that you don't where it is when you need it.

Safety box in a bank:

1) Do you have an idea how difficult it is to get one in Thailand?

2) Do you know the opening hours of the main bank branches?

Ever thought about an emergency? Call the bank director?

Some people do not even trust them enough to put a reasonable deposit to them.

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

You have a very limited view on what a safe is for.

We have all kind of important documents in the safe (passports, land papers, vehicle books, insurance docs, pension and other home country documents, backup plastic cards etc.). Additionally gold and jewelry of course. Usually no cash.

And the safe is simply the place to be for important stuff.

You know where it is. In a Thai household otherwise everything is hidden. Just that you don't where it is when you need it.

Safety box in a bank:

1) Do you have an idea how difficult it is to get one in Thailand?

2) Do you know the opening hours of the main bank branches?

Ever thought about an emergency? Call the bank director?

Some people do not even trust them enough to put a reasonable deposit to them.

Appreciate you comments and understand why you require a safe.

I guess I am a little different from that perspective.....all our important stuff is in the draw below the wifes makeup in her dressing table. At least I think it is...always has been when we've needed to travel or whatever. Gotta love village life!

Kind of fun.

We also live in an upcountry village.

And it is my wife who bought the thing before I even arrived.

It was bought synonymously and transported by close family members.

And only a handful of people know that we have one.

Upper floor (no go area for outsiders).

Behind another quite massive door.

Door locks German brand. Not the pick with a paper clip type.

Windows secured with metal grills mounted inside.

Three dogs 30 to 40 kg (though not the avatar)

Neighbors present all day.

No it's not east Pattaya and still my wife is very safety aware :tongue:

(since being robbed in some shack in Phuket in the 90s or so)

11 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Appreciate you comments and understand why you require a safe.

I guess I am a little different from that perspective.....all our important stuff is in the draw below the wifes makeup in her dressing table. At least I think it is...always has been when we've needed to travel or whatever. Gotta love village life!

Likewise, all the important documents are just in a draw. Good luck passing the dog..Don't know who is wanting to steal my passport (as obviously you would report it stolen if it went missing re crimes used with it). Land papers are in the bank. The others are at the in-laws. I think a safe is only useful if you have a lot of cash lying around that you cannot deposit for whatever reasons, but even then it has a kind of 'pick me, take me, i have valuables' look about it if someone gets into the place in the first place and sees it. 

So the safe should in theory be buried somewhere if it is for the purpose of keeping valuables safe. The money spent on a safe is better off spent on making getting into the place more difficult. 

10 hours ago, DeeMak9 said:

Im renting a safe deposit box at Siam Secure for a few years now and Im very happy with it. Its open everyday from 10 to 10 and most holidays.

But this is in Pattaya, not Phuket...

So I want to identify someone to rob, I watch Siam Secure and follow you home, and add you too my list of possibles

We have no safe, we do not need a safe, however I often think about a cheap safe, with very weak bolts not too well hidden, and a lot of fake jewellery inside, if some one came with a gun and said open they would probably grab and run, it would also make them mad later but still ok

We have four Alsatians plus the wife, and also closed circuit TV, and many lights on PIRs

Wife wants a gun but I say no unless she is properly trained and has all the liciences

If anyone comes to the house for money I normally say please wait for ten minutes while I go to the ATM even if we have the money, so people moan he never has money we have to wait while he goes to the ATM, word soon spreads

Edited by al007

11 minutes ago, al007 said:

We have no safe, we do not need a safe, however I often think about a cheap safe, with very weak bolts not too well hidden, and a lot of fake jewellery inside, if some one came with a gun and said open they would probably grab and run, it would also make them mad later but still ok

:thumbsup:

21 minutes ago, al007 said:

So I want to identify someone to rob, I watch Siam Secure and follow you home, and add you too my list of possibles

We have four Alsatians plus the wife, and also closed circuit TV, and many lights on PIRs

Wife wants a gun but I say no unless she is properly trained and has all the liciences

If anyone comes to the house for money I normally say please wait for ten minutes while I go to the ATM even if we have the money, so people moan he never has money we have to wait while he goes to the ATM, word soon spreads

What is the point of the four Alsatians as 'security' if people are still coming to house so easy? 

9 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

What is the point of the four Alsatians as 'security' if people are still coming to house so easy? 

My post did not say it was easy for people to come to the house, electric gates kept shut all the time, which have to be opened from the house or car

Visitors have to wait at the gates by which time they are also on CCTV

All my security systems self installed at minimal cost, and only a deterrent, the professional will if determined get over anything but will also be going for specifics, and we have nothing other than a few TVs to take

5 minutes ago, al007 said:

My post did not say it was easy for people to come to the house, electric gates kept shut all the time, which have to be opened from the house or car

Visitors have to wait at the gates by which time they are also on CCTV

All my security systems self installed at minimal cost, and only a deterrent, the professional will if determined get over anything but will also be going for specifics, and we have nothing other than a few TVs to take

Why do they come for money though? The dogs at the gate should be enough of a deterrent for them to stay well clear.  Thai are pretty scared of dogs. 

5 hours ago, al007 said:

Yeah you add him to your list of possibilities, set a date, turn up and find the lift won't work without a key card.

Stay in a higher end building and you don't have to worry about crap like this. Stay in a backwater McMansion with deadbeats for neighbors and you may very well have to worry about it. 

I use CB Lockers in the Interchange building at Asoke Junction. Efficient storage for some.gold baht bars and an emergency stash of cash.

If you are near the SeaCon shopping mall, there is a shop on the fourth floor (I believe) that sells office cabinets, as well as safes. They sell high quality safes at a very reasonable price (in your stated range). The owner, a woman, can speak English well enough, is very helpful, and they will deliver to your place at no extra charge (unless it is outside of Bangkok).

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 9:09 AM, lucjoker said:

look on internet (u tube) how to open about any safe sold in Thailand,

also the type in the picture above . The small ones i can open in 3 sec without any tool (just look

the clip and try it) the more complicated ones can take e few minutes !

The light ones are just picked up and taken away, a medium crowbar  will free up the bolted in the floor(wall)ones........

A 120 kilo safe can be carried in ( so also out) by my wife and sister.........using 2 little floor mats.....

So ...........a 500kg one ????? Hopefully you are not at home when they come in to steal it, because you will have to open it with a knife on your throat.

So final advise : buy a small one , they can take away , put 1000 bht in it ,dont hide it .

The real goodies are not kept in the house ,or hide them smartly.........look again on u tube for ideas

By the way....what is your adres ????  

I agree with this, then have a clever second safe. Plenty to be found.

http://www.crookedbrains.net/2009/11/interesting_20.html

Many thanks Gents for tips, comments etc.

I like a safe for the same reasons as mentioned by a couple of posters already.

I have an alarm system, good window locks, and just installed 8 x CCTV system.

(BTW Our Moo Bahn of 200 houses has had 8 break-ins in 6 months)

Alsatians, lovely dogs agreed. And do see big barking dogs as one of the best solutions.

Underground safe, just remembered my parents used to have and all the times Mum wanted to go out in her best jewellery Dad would be on his hands and knees ...

I like the cookedbrains website, might go for a couple of those options also.

And will most probably go for one of the recommended safes ..thanks again for tips !

Cheers

SB