When were 10 year drivers licences issued?

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Why should there be a test? If you have passed a driving test, you have proved that you are fit for the roads, although not in Thailand I might add.

But an experienced driver from a Western country, provided he has genuine common sense, should not have a problem on Thai roads.

You do realise that there is still a test for a 5 year licence? A test for colour blindness, a test for your reactions and a perception test.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, dotpoom said:

He may have been on his 2nd five year licence.  It would show as an 11 year licence on the licence itself (if he had the temporary licence for one year at the time, two now).

No it doesn't show on your licence. What shows is the date it was issued and the date it expires. Nothing to do with previous licences.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

You do realise that there is still a test for a 5 year licence? A test for colour blindness, a test for your reactions and a perception test.

Yes I know, but I did get my five year licence without doing anything, just walked in, showed my one year one year licence, I think it was.

But keep in mind TiT, and all these government places make up their own rules, so you never know.

4 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes I know, but I did get my five year licence without doing anything, just walked in, showed my one year one year licence, I think it was.

But keep in mind TiT, and all these government places make up their own rules, so you never know.

As people age their driving skills (along with a few other things) deteriorate, especially eyesight and reaction time. In the interest of public safety those tests should be performed routinely after a certain age.

Just now, transam said:

Ubon...I have done 2 now.....Just have to watch their video...

Let me get this straight, they just issue a new 5 year licence with no tests, just watch a video? Makes sense actually, why the need to do the same test every time? Only thing they don't do, that's more important than a colour blindness test is an eyesight test, being able to see what's on the road.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Can't see a number in any of those, been colour blind all my life, it didn't suddenly happen.

Did you do the test for your first license....?

I would have thought folk are born with the problem and not just develop, first test would reveal all, could be wrong though...:smile:

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Did you do the test for your first license....?

I would have thought folk are born with the problem and not just develop, first test would reveal all, could be wrong though...:smile:

Had "help" with the first (1 year) and second (5 year) licence. Been driving for nearly 60 years, never had to do a colour blindness test to get a licence before, either in Australia or the UK.

Edited by giddyup

8 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Had "help" with the first (1 year) and second (5 year) licence. Been driving for nearly 60 years, never had to do a colour blindness test to get a licence before, either in Australia or the UK.

So you consider it normal that people who don't see the difference between red and green, should be allowed at the wheel of a car?

Just now, janclaes47 said:

So you consider it normal that people who don't see the difference between red and green, should be allowed at the wheel of a car?

Tell me why very few countries have a colour blindness test for obtaining a drivers licence and then I'll answer your question.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Tell me why very few countries have a colour blindness test for obtaining a drivers licence and then I'll answer your question.

Why answering a question with a question?

My question was very clear and sincere.

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, giddyup said:

Looked the real deal to me, but surely they wouldn't make it a 10 year if there's no such thing? If stopped by police they'd pick that up immediately, wouldn't they?

Right, wait until a police officer asks to see his drivers license.

2 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

Why answering a question with a question?

My question was very clear and sincere.

Obviously you can't give an answer because there is no good reason to have a colour blindness test. As I said, been driving nearly 60 years with one accident that wasn't my fault. How do you think I managed that if being colour blind was an impediment to driving?

On 6/3/2017 at 10:49 AM, KhunBENQ said:

I remember that this "10 year license" had been mentioned in another thread.

Still I haven't found a clue that this is a legal thing.

"It cost him 10000", "agency handled it all", "no tests involved" says a lot, doesn't it?

And I also wonder how he could have get trough a checkpoint with this.

I have a 10 year licence ,it runs out next year ,i got it when i did my test in Pattaya,no agency ,just went there showed my international licence did the eyesight test etc , its never ever been Queried by the police ,(been stopped maybe 6 times both here and in bkk) just thought it was  a normal one ,i never paid any extra .

14 minutes ago, janclaes47 said:

That's an ignorant response my son is colour blind and has no problem driving. :unsure:

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

That's an ignorant response my son is colour blind and has no problem driving. :unsure:

Most people who are colour blind have no problem differentiating between a green and red traffic light, it's only when the colours are small dots and mixed up that it becomes a problem.

55 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Send me a PM where that is, I need to renew mine in August and have a problem with the colour blindness.

Your be OK on renewal of 5 year just papers needed and watch a video that's what happens in Suk. :thumbsup:

53 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Can't see a number in any of those, been colour blind all my life, it didn't suddenly happen.

Interesting my youngest son is colour blind only found out when he was 7 year at school.

What he did was to learn the shade of the colour that he see's,  to know the colour we see,  l don't remember which colour blind type he is apparently there's more than one.

To get back on topic  :biggrin:  my son has a UK DL till his 70 year only has to renew photo every 10 year.  :thumbsup:

37 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Where is Suk?

Apologies for my text abbreviation habit,  Sukhothai DLT office just outside New City.

Don't forget if you go outside your province to get DL licence renewal l believe you need proof of address within the DLT office area.  

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

Apologies for my text abbreviation habit,  Sukhothai DLT office just outside New City.

Don't forget if you go outside your province to get DL licence renewal l believe you need proof of address within the DLT office area.  

I know you need proof of address, but first time I've been aware that it has to be within the DLT area.

As people age their driving skills (along with a few other things) deteriorate, especially eyesight and reaction time. In the interest of public safety those tests should be performed routinely after a certain age.

Have you ever done the reaction test? It's designed for sloths. Do it at human reaction speed and it fails.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I know you need proof of address, but first time I've been aware that it has to be within the DLT area.

I reckon you'll be OK at your local DLT.

Addresses l believe so when it comes to renewing DL's,  wouldn't stake my life on it knowing Thailand.

If all else fails excuse the joke,  you can get a 10 year one. :laugh:

Edited by Kwasaki

Not sure that this is correct, though might depend on the individual DLT office, a friend of mind renewed his 5 year licence in the Pattaya office using a Yellow Tabien Baan from an address in Surin as proof and the Surin address is the one on his licence.

13 minutes ago, JaseTheBass said:

Have you ever done the reaction test? It's designed for sloths. Do it at human reaction speed and it fails.

Sent from my Cray II supercomputer

The last time I did mine there was an elderly gentleman that was given multiple attempts on the reaction test before they passed him.

I have a 20 years thai driving licence. Got it after my 1 (or2 ??) years temporary one. Unluckily, i pass the test  6 monthes after the cancelled the lifetime one. Did all by myself and cost me near nothing.