How cops earn their daily bread....poster shows up corrupt Surin police

webfact

How cops earn their daily bread....poster shows up corrupt Surin police

5pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

SURIN: -- A Facebook poster put a picture of a driving ticket online that itemized the fine as 100 baht.

But the driver had handed over 200, it was claimed.

The poster posed the somewhat rhetorical question: Is this how police make their money?

Poster Niroot Nammontree said that a friend was stopped by Neung Nai police in Surin who examined the license and insurance of the driver that were all in order.

But then the cops said that items in the back of the pick-up were not properly covered - and the fine would be 200 baht.

The driver said they had no money. The police said call a relative then.

Or shall we write you a ticket that will cost you 400-1000 baht at the station?

Not wishing to waste time or money the friend managed to find 200 baht and pay the cops there and then, it was claimed.

Then they got a receipt and drove off.

The receipt was for 100 baht.

The poster said that if the police fined everyone they stopped like this and made 100 baht a time they would be making a tidy sum.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-06

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This must rate as the least surprising bit of "news" of 2017. Corruption is endemic, as we all know. There is not the will to do much about it, particularly when the mega-corrupt are the very ones in leadership positions in many sectors. The police corruption is very small beer ( that is not to say it shouldn't be dealt with).

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The poster posed the somewhat rhetorical question: Is this how police make their money?

For anyone that lived in Thailand more than 1 day, than the answer is a resounding YES....

2 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

So what do we learn from the OP? That the driver and the cop are both dishonest.

& the driver complaining that 200 bht doesn't work out cheaper then 4 - 1000 bht

The question that should be asked is what are the police doing to reduce the number of deaths on Thai roads? What is Thailand doing to not the considered the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world? The answer is nothing, it's corruption, I mean business as usual.

So worried about finding a way to charge tourists more money, insurance, but nothing to protect their own people. Why is this not being dealt with? Where is the concern for the Thai people?

Why are motorcycles considered different than a car and therefore subject to different laws placing the most common vehicle on the road in constant danger, but easy to fleece using their drag nets.

Take away the commission structure from writing bogus tickets and start policing, start saving lives, and start making Thailand not only safer but not the laughing stock of the world.

This should be the easiest thing to do to save lives, but here corruption reigns! We see it, the Thai people see it, it's so "in your face" it's considered normal at this point.

government does not pay enough to have a police force. cops have to make extra income. call it what you want but thailand is a safe country and the system works fairly well. 10 years i always felt safe in thailand. take away the extra income the cops earn and then there would be almost no police force. then thailand would be run by the unregulated criminals. people need to start appreciating/accepting things the way they are. cops have rolled me a few times and i accept it as a type of road user charge.  dont like it dont drive.

34 minutes ago, gr8fldanielle said:

The question that should be asked is what are the police doing to reduce the number of deaths on Thai roads? What is Thailand doing to not the considered the 2nd most dangerous roads in the world? The answer is nothing, it's corruption, I mean business as usual.

So worried about finding a way to charge tourists more money, insurance, but nothing to protect their own people. Why is this not being dealt with? Where is the concern for the Thai people?

Why are motorcycles considered different than a car and therefore subject to different laws placing the most common vehicle on the road in constant danger, but easy to fleece using their drag nets.

Take away the commission structure from writing bogus tickets and start policing, start saving lives, and start making Thailand not only safer but not the laughing stock of the world.

This should be the easiest thing to do to save lives, but here corruption reigns! We see it, the Thai people see it, it's so "in your face" it's considered normal at this point.

cops make money off people breaking the law. of course they dont want to stop people breaking the traffic laws. thats where so many people on this forum seem to be confused.

11 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

call it what you want but thailand is a safe country and the system works fairly well. 10 years i always felt safe in thailand. take away the extra income the cops earn and then there would be almost no police force.

70 people a day die on Thai roads!  Your 10 years = 3650 days not including Leap Years = 255,500 corpses and you feel safe? Any police force doing its job would have cut these figures by 80%.

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

70 people a day die on Thai roads!  Your 10 years = 3650 days not including Leap Years = 255,500 corpses and you feel safe? Any police force doing its job would have cut these figures by 80%.

yes, like i said i always felt safe. the fact is the cops dont get paid to do anything. they basically have to go out and earn their income. you cant keep thing they are the same as a police force in the western world.

1 minute ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

yes, like i said i always felt safe.

So you never travel on Thai roads?  

4 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

they basically have to go out and earn their income.

If you were a Pattaya bar owner having to hand over 20K+ protection money every month you might think differently about the way they 'earn' their income.

21 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

government does not pay enough to have a police force. cops have to make extra income. call it what you want but thailand is a safe country and the system works fairly well. 10 years i always felt safe in thailand. take away the extra income the cops earn and then there would be almost no police force. then thailand would be run by the unregulated criminals. people need to start appreciating/accepting things the way they are. cops have rolled me a few times and i accept it as a type of road user charge.  dont like it dont drive.

You have valid points, if people are prepared to swallow the pill or piss and moan and grown as they are doing here.

The SOLUTION here would be to perhaps have the government create a system like in other countries, I can only talk for Australia, i.e. ticket issued on the spot, you pay within 21 days, fail to pay the ticket, you will not be able to renew your licence, car registration and insurance, drive without a license, registration or insurance because you have failed to pay the ticket is jail time and heft fines and further suspension of your license.

For those unlicensed at the time if being caught, off to the police station until someone pays a hefty fine for them, that or jail time, and court with further suspension of license.

As for all the revenue from tickets being collected by the government department, there is a trail, it would ensure no tea money for the police, just pay rises so that their income is adequate for the work they do, naturally the more tickets they write, promotions, higher pay etc etc like in other countries, but no one will admit it, but its a fact and it reduces deaths, and keeps the roads safer for people to drive.

I call it fair.

2 minutes ago, mikebell said:

If you were a Pattaya bar owner having to hand over 20K+ protection money every month you might think differently about the way they 'earn' their income.

Mafia

3 hours ago, Prbkk said:

This must rate as the least surprising bit of "news" of 2017. Corruption is endemic, as we all know. There is not the will to do much about it, particularly when the mega-corrupt are the very ones in leadership positions in many sectors. The police corruption is very small beer ( that is not to say it shouldn't be dealt with).

Not so small on workers pay day end of each month ! for 3 days pull them over and screw them in total = millions baht  off working people .

9 minutes ago, mikebell said:

i suppose i have had a few near misses in pattaya, i am sure i have had some in other countries i lived in as well. i actually dont feel any worse off driving in thailand than i do in new zealand although i sure i am.

i still have my business in pattaya and we pay a monthly fee to have a police letterbox on the front of my shop and a cop comes around and checks the book inside a couple times a week. it is money well spent. no different from paying a security service to do check ups in a western country.

13 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

i still have my business in pattaya and we pay a monthly fee to have a police letterbox on the front of my shop and a cop comes around and checks the book inside a couple times a week.

You pay a monthly fee and a cop checks a book inside a police letterbox?  I don't understand what you get for this money.  It sounds like the sort of protection money some of my bar-owning friends pay.  This is pure bribery by you & blackmail by a force whose laughable motto is 'serve and protect.'

A security service in the West does not raid/'fine' the owner if they decide not to pay.

I'm not clear on why the guy posted a photo of the ticket/receipt unless he also posted a video of handing over the 200 baht. 

Though I don't doubt the story because it's happened to me, it hardly seems worthy of any attention without half of the evidence.  Otherwise anyone can post any receipt and claim they were cheated.

7 minutes ago, mikebell said:

You pay a monthly fee and a cop checks a book inside a police letterbox?  I don't understand what you get for this money.  It sounds like the sort of protection money some of my bar-owning friends pay.  This is pure bribery by you & blackmail by a force whose laughable motto is 'serve and protect.'

A security service in the West does not raid/'fine' the owner if they decide not to pay.

i pay the fee by choice. i could cancel if i wanted to so it is not bribery or blackmail. it is good peace of mind knowing a high up cop and having his phone number.

i am not in the bar business however. that is a different. cant have a work permit for that and generally includes some level of prostitution which we all know is illegal. i would advise foreigners to stay away from owning bars.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

No Surprise here  come to Chiang Mai they have road blocks set up every where only to stop the Tourist on there Motor Bikes to Harass them out of 500 to 1000b on the spot for a 400b fine it is a gold mine for them here and no one does anything about it  Untrue come visit me I will prove it in 10 minutes

Just now, jimstar1 said:

No Surprise here  come to Chiang Mai they have road blocks set up every where only to stop the Tourist on there Motor Bikes to Harass them out of 500 to 1000b on the spot for a 400b fine it is a gold mine for them here and no one does anything about it  Untrue come visit me I will prove it in 10 minutes

Why not write to the PM and stop your moaning ?

At least she got a receipt for something. Normally when the cops relieve me of cash I get a smile and told to leave without anything. In this case the cop pocketed 50%, but in pattaya it is normally 100% and a bigger fine too. She should count herself lucky.

Sorry William, you and I differ fundamentally on what constitutes police service. Here are three cases;

bar 1 on Soi Kao Talo had girls, paid money but got raided- one girl used false ID papers and was under age.  Owner 'fined 150,000 baht - this after paying 24K a month.  Bar now closed.

bar 2 Pattayaland 2 - no girls - a nice friendly bar where darts & Quiz nights take place.  Owner forced to pay protection money every month to avoid a police 'raid'.

bar 3 in Bang Saray - no girls; serves food & drink.  Owners lived on site.  Police observed farang owner making himself a coffee at 10.30am  (bar opens at turned 3pm); farang arrested - 'fined' 50,000.  Now forced to rent a house and pays money to the 'seving/protective force.

How can you continue to attempt to excuse or sympathise with such a set of bandits?