Trump renews criticism of London Mayor Khan over attack

webfact

1 minute ago, alanrchase said:

You don't find Trump's press secretary credible? Are you saying the press is being lied to by the Trump administration?

I think he's an idiot.

Don't know if he lies to the press…they seem to have no problem reporting whatever angle they want to.

Edited by JHolmesJr

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I did not know that? He was a defence team consultant? At a bit of a loss here, was he in America? was he called to America? Please help me understand this. I had absolutely no knowledge of this.

why should that matter, i believe that people who are accused of a crime in the USA are allowed to have a lawyer to speak for them in court and use and call expert testimony as they would be allowed to in the UK and just because someone is an expert witness or consultant does not mean that they agree with the beliefs of the defendant 

I think he's an idiot.

Don't know if he lies to the press…they seem to have no problem reporting whatever angle they want to.

Spicer's job is to communicate presidential policy to the press. If you think Spicer is an idiot then Trump is also an idiot.

20 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I did not know that? He was a defence team consultant? At a bit of a loss here, was he in America? was he called to America? Please help me understand this. I had absolutely no knowledge of this.

I just learned this myself as well. Check out this video(last segment).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe82hT7t1Wk

Here's an article:

http://wtam.iheart.com/onair/mike-trivisonno-2339/london-mayor-sadiq-khan-was-consultant-15890671/

There are more articles providing more details but this should get you started.

And if you have some time and really want to get to know the mayor of London, Stephan Molyneux put out a great video about him last year. Definitely worth a look.

2 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

Twitter isn't bingo….the rules are very different.

Just about every company executive on twitter says this below their profile: "Opinions expressed are my own"

I don't have to tell you what that means…or do I?

Ok for you and me.  But we're talking about a president of the US.  He's also Commander in Chief.  What if the US were at war, and Trump tweeted; "all forces retreat 15 miles to XYZ river immediately. Impending attack. Do it now!"  Should the generals take him at his word? .....when hesitation could doom a thousand soldiers.

Trump fans will say, "oh come on, Trump would never telegraph military strategy on Twitter.  Don't be silly."

Boomer responds:  Oh, Really?  Trump Twits everything under the moon:  Aircraft carrier movements, Ivanka's jewelry rebuffs, Federal judge assessments,  Federal policy declarations, name-calling, covfefe, US sanctions policy, ......you name it.    What limits does Trump put on himself re; Tweets?  Trump has also, more than once, openly given highly classified material to anyone within earshot.  Is anyone suggesting he may be a bit restrained or reasonable?

4 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

<snip>

Trump Twits everything under the moon

<snip>

To be fair, he has never tweeted his dick pic. To be fairer, he might have, but the thing is so tiny, we may not have noticed.

47 minutes ago, boomerangutang said:

What if the US were at war, and Trump tweeted; "all forces retreat 15 miles to XYZ river immediately. Impending attack. Do it now!"  Should the generals take him at his word? .....when hesitation could doom a thousand soldiers.               

speculation as usual. surprised no cut and paste urls this time.

1 hour ago, JHolmesJr said:

I think he's an idiot.

So, what you are saying is that the press secretary from the WH can not be trusted!

OK? Than please tell me who can be trusted in the WH, this man is just doing his job. If he tells lies, than these lies are coming from your master Donald.

Or, do you believe everything the Donald tweets?

But whatever you believe in, like Santa Claus, Easter Bunny or the tooth ferry, Trump is real, a real stupid ignorant, selfish clown.

And by nonstop defending this clown, on everything, than you are the same as your master.

3 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

I think he's an idiot.

OK! I think I get it.

Spicer's an idiot, hired by the genius businessman Trump and kept on the job by Trump even though he's proved himself an idiot because Trump is playing some kind of Klingon/Vulcan hybrid 3D elevntieth level tiddlywinks while the rest of the world is busy clutching their pearls and worrying about trifles such as thermonuclear war and a global climate catastrophe.

And in the season finale it will be revealed how all the apparent buffoonery was really a brilliant plan to save the galaxy and Make America Great Again.

Can't wait.

38 minutes ago, Thakkar said:

OK! I think I get it.

Spicer's an idiot, hired by the genius businessman Trump and kept on the job by Trump even though he's proved himself an idiot because Trump is playing some kind of Klingon/Vulcan hybrid 3D elevntieth level tiddlywinks while the rest of the world is busy clutching their pearls and worrying about trifles such as thermonuclear war and a global climate catastrophe.

And in the season finale it will be revealed how all the apparent buffoonery was really a brilliant plan to save the galaxy and Make America Great Again.

Can't wait.

actually you sound like spicer right now.

To the poster (i cant find your reply to my question) Who asked 'What does it matter", about khan being on the defence team of 9/11/

It doesn't matter, I couldn't care less what he was doing there. My curiosity was that i didn't know that he had legal training. Also i wasn't aware that his legal knowledge stretched to the American legal system. I wasn't in the UK when he was elected as Mayor of London, so i dont know much about the man.I was simply asking a question. Is it too much for you to answer me without such a question as "what does it matter?"

I am aware that suspects are allowed to call for help anywhere in the world if it aids their plea of innocence, especially in a case such as 9/11. We 'aint all legal experts.

1 hour ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

To the poster (i cant find your reply to my question) Who asked 'What does it matter", about khan being on the defence team of 9/11/

It doesn't matter, I couldn't care less what he was doing there. My curiosity was that i didn't know that he had legal training. Also i wasn't aware that his legal knowledge stretched to the American legal system. I wasn't in the UK when he was elected as Mayor of London, so i dont know much about the man.I was simply asking a question. Is it too much for you to answer me without such a question as "what does it matter?"

I am aware that suspects are allowed to call for help anywhere in the world if it aids their plea of innocence, especially in a case such as 9/11. We 'aint all legal experts.

He was a Human Rights lawyer. The defense team hired him as a consultant, presumably to enquire details on whether human rights laws could be a viable defense. Khan may have advised them every their "yes" or "no", giving details as appropriate. Either way,  it isn't relevant; he was doing the job of a human rights lawyer, legally and appropriately.

Flimsy guilt by association is only used as an avenue of attack when there aren't any real grounds for criticism of the man.

2 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Maybe we should give up since it's clear you are immune to facts.

if everyone  listened to your "facts", he'd have been strung up like saddam by now.

thankfully saner minds are at work here….but don't let us stop you.

14 minutes ago, JHolmesJr said:

if everyone  listened to your "facts", he'd have been strung up like saddam by now.

thankfully saner minds are at work here….but don't let us stop you.

Maybe someone out there can make sense of this comment.

I suggest you give posting facts a shot.  You don't seem to have much of a gift for analysis.

1 minute ago, ilostmypassword said:

Maybe someone out there can make sense of this comment.

I suggest you give posting facts a shot.  You don't seem to have much of a gift for analysis.

ok, we'll see how far your facts take you.

14 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

And I answered your question, he assisted with the defense.

So again my question, does it matter? You may not like the question, but a very applicable question imo.

16 hours ago, Thakkar said:

He was a Human Rights lawyer. The defense team hired him as a consultant, presumably to enquire details on whether human rights laws could be a viable defense. Khan may have advised them every their "yes" or "no", giving details as appropriate. Either way,  it isn't relevant; he was doing the job of a human rights lawyer, legally and appropriately.  Flimsy guilt by association is only used as an avenue of attack when there aren't any real grounds for criticism of the man.

The way it would matter is in his choice of profession and the way to do that job.  

Does this reflect the man's politics and the way he would act as a politician?

It's part and parcel of his life's work, so I would say yes. 

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

And I answered your question, he assisted with the defense.

So again my question, does it matter? You may not like the question, but a very applicable question imo.

Well it mattered to me, or i wouldn't have asked the bloody question.

58 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

The way it would matter is in his choice of profession and the way to do that job.  

Does this reflect the man's politics and the way he would act as a politician?

It's part and parcel of his life's work, so I would say yes. 

Human Rights Law is a noble profession. It is one of the supporting pillars of modern Western Civilization—a pillar that the likes of ISIS want to destroy. Helping to hold up that pillar, even if it means defending *accused* terrorists, is part and parcel of fighting extremism and illiberalism in all it's forms.

if Khan's background matters at all in this situation, it does so in the sense that he is also a soldier against extremism, as much as the police who shot dead the attackers.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

So what is your conclusion?

My conclusion is, that this conversation will have a strong resemblance to a tug of war, i.e. that is, that it will just continue to go back and forth. I suggest that as we are not getting anywhere with this, that we cease to argue the point. I also think that Thakkar answered my question in his postsome 20 hours ago.

Thanks for your help.

On 6/9/2017 at 0:20 PM, Thakkar said:

Human Rights Law is a noble profession. It is one of the supporting pillars of modern Western Civilization—a pillar that the likes of ISIS want to destroy. Helping to hold up that pillar, even if it means defending *accused* terrorists, is part and parcel of fighting extremism and illiberalism in all it's forms.

if Khan's background matters at all in this situation, it does so in the sense that he is also a soldier against extremism, as much as the police who shot dead the attackers.

Noble profession or not, it still affects his job. Defending alleged terrorists, in my view, is not fighting extremism.

I see it as a component separate from the struggle against terror. 

I definitely do not view him as soldier against extremism, but we both are entitled to different opinions.

5 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

Noble profession or not, it still affects his job. Defending alleged terrorists, in my view, is not fighting extremism.

I definitely do not view him as soldier against extremism, but we both are entitled to different opinions.

Like it or nor we live in a democracy, not an oppressive dictatorship without access to legally enacted rights. As has likely been stated many times the guy was a human rights lawyer consulting to the defence team. Khan has made it very clear he does not sympathise with Islamist terrorism. 

As is constantly mentioned by security forces representatives, it is essential our societies keep a focus on pushing back against those who seek to create division. The likes of Khan in his prior and current role are fighting against propaganda methods utilised by extremist ideologues.

31 minutes ago, Ramen087 said:

Focusing on today's flavor of terrorist or string of terrorist acts misses the bigger picture.

What Human Rights Law defends are the values that make the modern West what it is. And, in my view at least, it is these values that make the modern West superior to other jurisdictions. Some of the best and most sublime and progressive minds in these other jurisdictions aspire for their countries to emulate the modern West in precisely these human rights values. They join protests, risk imprisonment and even death to fight for these values.

In this crucial regard, Khan, the brown-skinned Muslim, is more Western than his white-skinned "Christian" critics. He is more suited to be a Western leader than the torture-loving Trump.