Leaving A Condo Empty For Months

tt61

I plan to leave my condo (view talay 2) empty for at least 3 months. I know that many have had problems with mildew, termites etc. so I wanted to draw on your experiences with respect to this. What is the best way to prepare your condo before leaving so that it remains inhabitable when you return?

Cheers

2 suggestions: Have cleaners come and do dust-ups. Sounds silly given the condo is empty but that's what I used to do and when I would arrive from the airport, my condo smelled fresh(er). If you know your date of return by now, you can ask the staff to open your window(s) ahead of time. :D

Another option is to put all your linens and towels and your blanket in a cupboard with strong air fresheners (several bars of soap is an option) and box it all in sealed.

These are a few of my tried and tested methods. :o

Open your fridge/freezer doors ( to air them, and stop them going rank), clean your toilet with Bleach after the last use ( you will be surprised how much Bacteria grows and it looks disgusting ), have the room cleaned just before your arrival (show respect to them, hence the bleaching of the toilet).

Obviously have the water disconnected, and switch off the electricity at the breaker as you leave with your case, making sure you take the used rubbish bag with you as you go.

buy some FARCENT brand dehumidifying crystals , they come in ready to use containers , different sizes ,30 to 60 baht each from tesco , and leave one in each cupboard , they last up to 6 months and will keep cupboards , draws and unventilated areas dry and mould free.

Good topic. Is there any process to undertake with the air conditioning unit? I'm concerned about mold growing in it while away and then blowing mold all over the place when I switch it on.

The air conditioning compressor unit could suffer a major failure if it isn't run for such a lengthy time. With reference to mould, there is a fungicide that can be sprayed into the intake of the filter unit behind the expansion/blower unit. This spray can be bought at most supermarkets in town and certainly from air conditioning service companies. The main problem with the compressor unit is that it is the air conditioning fluid lubricates the bearings and maintains the flexibility and elasticity of the seals within the unit. If the compressor remains idle for three months it could suffer a bearing or seal failure on restart. If you have a friend nearby, ask him/her if he/she would run the air-conditioning unit for 5 minutes every week.....obviously that means leaving the electricity turned on. Even if there is no failure of the compressor unit, a foul smell will be noticed for sometime after switching on an idle air conditioning unit.

........and don't forget to leave sufficient money with the condo office or the utility companies to cover the standing charges for electricity, water and telephone or you'll find that, when you return, the electric and water meters have been removed and your telephone disconnected.

Good topic. Is there any process to undertake with the air conditioning unit? I'm concerned about mold growing in it while away and then blowing mold all over the place when I switch it on.

The air conditioning compressor unit could suffer a major failure if it isn't run for such a lengthy time. With reference to mould, there is a fungicide that can be sprayed into the intake of the filter unit behind the expansion/blower unit. This spray can be bought at most supermarkets in town and certainly from air conditioning service companies. The main problem with the compressor unit is that it is the air conditioning fluid lubricates the bearings and maintains the flexibility and elasticity of the seals within the unit. If the compressor remains idle for three months it could suffer a bearing or seal failure on restart. If you have a friend nearby, ask him/her if he/she would run the air-conditioning unit for 5 minutes every week.....obviously that means leaving the electricity turned on. Even if there is no failure of the compressor unit, a foul smell will be noticed for sometime after switching on an idle air conditioning unit.

Crikey Artisan, you should start your own air conditioning maintenance business! Sounds like you definately know your liquid line from your expansion valve! he he he.