Don’t want to go to school? Thai dad lets daughter work like adult

Don’t want to go to school? Thai dad lets daughter work like adult

By Coconuts Bangkok

865.JPG

Photo: Hathairat Neramittanakul/ Facebook

Every parent deals with their child’s reluctance to go to school, but this Thai man took his daughter’s desire to ditch school seriously: “If you don’t go to school, you have to go to work like everybody else.”

Facebook user Hatairat Neramittanakul, who is the girl’s mother, posted pictures of her daughter “Pitta” working in the real world like an adult on Saturday.

Dressed in a yellow oversized T-shirt with an orange umbrella hat on her head, the girl sold fried bananas to motorists in traffic, accompanied by her dad. The post soon went viral and was featured in local media today.

Full Story: https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/dont-want-go-school-thai-dad-lets-daughter-work-like-adult/

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2017-6-6

Wonderful example of Thai parenting, expose your child to dust and traffic pollution and the risk of a collision, to try and shame drivers into enriching the Dad by a few baht. 

Kids shouldn't make decisions not to go to school, parents job to guide them that education is a good thing to prevent them having to sell bananas in the street their whole lives.

Even Thailand has minimum ages for children working, there are good reasons for that and here is an example.

Well he is an idiot. How is she going to learn to read, write, socialize with other children of her own age and learn skills she will need for the future. I see she has a bright future ahead of her. Maybe she will move to a stall, selling on the pavement instead of the road.

At times all children don't want to go to school and parents need to direct them in the right way. Child exploitation working on the roads isn't directing in the right way.

19 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Well he is an idiot. How is she going to learn to read, write, socialize with other children of her own age and learn skills she will need for the future. I see she has a bright future ahead of her. Maybe she will move to a stall, selling on the pavement instead of the road.

At times all children don't want to go to school and parents need to direct them in the right way. Child exploitation working on the roads isn't directing in the right way.

You haven't really understood this have you.. he's teaching her a lesson, not supporting her fledgling career.

20 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I don't think she's going to be doing this every day.

It's just a somewhat odd attempt to introduce a dose of reality into the girls life.

Personally I'd find out why the child doesn't like school and deal with those issues.

1 hour ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

You haven't really understood this have you.. he's teaching her a lesson, not supporting her fledgling career.

And if she continues doing this every day, which I would not bet against it. Opting out of school should be addressed. Teaching her a lesson by working on the road selling, isn't the lesson I would be teaching her. Again some posters would disagree.

If he only wants to teach her a lesson, it would by far more effective to put her working in a rice paddy rather than preying on people's sympathies.

1 hour ago, Gary A said:

If he only wants to teach her a lesson, it would by far more effective to put her working in a rice paddy rather than preying on people's sympathies.

Perhaps, but this family runs a fried banana shop for a living, so lesson wise, it was probably the least confusing (taking the child's potential interpretation of the lesson into consideration) route to take.   

3 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Wonderful example of Thai parenting, expose your child to dust and traffic pollution and the risk of a collision, to try and shame drivers into enriching the Dad by a few baht. 

Kids shouldn't make decisions not to go to school, parents job to guide them that education is a good thing to prevent them having to sell bananas in the street their whole lives.

Even Thailand has minimum ages for children working, there are good reasons for that and here is an example.

No different from the kids who are made to try and sell roses to the farangs late at night in the girly bars, no fuss made about them ,

yet I find it ten times worse what the were subjected to by their so called parents. Sometimes gone midnight, could hardly keep

their eyes open , thourally exhausted

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to normal.

Probably not such a great idea !

I'm sure the kid had a great time,gets to spend the day with daddy, got lots of attention, especially with the cute umbrella hat and " mac ".

Probably doesn't want to go back to school ever again. !!

He's not helping his child 0ne bit. She.needs to go to school to learn not in a market. That would be a dead end in job for the rest of her life. Sometimes you have to push them because they don't know. It will.pay off in the end and they will respect you for it latter on.

Not everybody is perfect at parenting. At least the father tries to show his daughter what she would be doing if she doesn't go to school. He could also have shown her
how other girls that don't finish school end up working in bars going to hotels with fat farangs.

The lesson probably would have been just as effective if she did the packaging (in the shop and not in traffic).    Of course, then there wouldn't have been any media coverage.   A symptom of the look at me Facebook / Youtube generation.