IP addresses and subnets help please.

JaiMaai

A network is set up to manage IP addresses using DHCP.

There is one device that it is desired to have a fixed IP address.

If the device gets assigned an address it is in the range 192.168.1.xxx

Normally, the easy thing to do would be to assign an address outside the IP range set on the router.

The IP range is unknown and it's temporarily not possible to gain access to the router to check.

In theory would this set up work for a fixed IP?

IP 192.168.168.168

Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.1 (as current)

DNS: google / open DNS as current.

The aim is to avoid/reduce the chance of conflict on the network

Thanks in advance.

Jaimaai

There is another way, if your router allows you to do it.

Instead of setting static IP addresses, outside of the DHCP range, you can set reserved addresses - at least you can on my Asus router. You do this by specifying the MAC address of the device that you are connecting and you assign to it any IP address within the DHCP range that is not already reserved.  The device will then always be given the same IP address by the router.

I have my network set up like this - all devices that 'live' in the house have reserved addresses.  The rest of the DHCP range is available for casual visitors.

The advantage of doing it this way is that you don't need to set the IP address on the individual devices.  Just point them at the router and it will assign them their reserved addresses.  This is advantageous for a laptop or tablet or smart phone that may well not always want to connect to the same router.

The static method you mentioned also works provided:

1. The router also has a netmask of 255.255.0.0  (/16) and not /24 (If not, 192.168.168.x will be routed to the default route..)

2. The DHCP range doesn't include 192.168.168.168

The static method you mentioned also works provided:

1. The router also has a netmask of 255.255.0.0  (/16) and not /24 (If not, 192.168.168.x will be routed to the default route..)
2. The DHCP range doesn't include 192.168.168.168

Thanks. If I had access to the router this would be easy but since I don't I can't do the mac address method either. I'll probably set an IP within the /24 range to be sure.

Sent from my SM-J200GU using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, doctormann said:

Instead of setting static IP addresses, outside of the DHCP range, you can set reserved addresses - at least you can on my Asus router.

That would have been my idea/question too.

On my routers DHCP I have defined four fixed addresses based on the MAC addresses of the devices.

I have done this to exclude them from bandwidth control applied to rest of the pack :biggrin:

(I have some kids/family on the WiFi)

That would have been my idea/question too.
On my routers DHCP I have defined four fixed addresses based on the MAC addresses of the devices.
I have done this to exclude them from bandwidth control applied to rest of the pack [emoji3]
(I have some kids/family on the WiFi)

Can I ask how you set bandwidth control?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

Not sure how KhunBENQ does it but my Asus router has QoS that lets you impose bandwidth limits on individual users, based on their MAC addresses.  Very useful when you have someone in the house that likes on-line gaming!  I've had to restrict my son to a maximum of 50% of the available bandwidth.  Probably means that his games don't play too well but at least it does leave some capacity for other users.

35 minutes ago, carlyai said:

At my router there is a setup site for defining bandwidth based on

IP address:

(click on images to see full size)

bwcontrol.jpg

Assigning fixed IP addresses to certain MAC addresses ("devices") is a separate step in the DHCP setup (in my case there are fixed address in the ..190 to ..199 range that are excluded from bandwidth control/limitation).

A bit complicated :smile:

dhcp.jpg

Very useful when you have someone in the house that likes on-line gaming!  I've had to restrict my son to a maximum of 50% of the available bandwidth.

Wow the new online games must use a lot of data...I used to have 6 gamers simultaneously playing Ragnarok on a shared 56kbps Dial up modem...they did complain a bit about "lag" at times but 512 kbps
ADSL became available shortly after
and then it only "lagged" when somebody was doing a big download...which was usually the game update at first startup.

Archived