One missing, six rescued from drowning at Phuket beaches

snoop1130

One missing, six rescued from drowning at Phuket beaches

Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_2017612164229515_jicuPcdvwqUrwyTtvqDmPaGsUlgSBsJlbmfqPJmL_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET:-- Two Thai tourists were safely rescued while one is still missing after the trio went swimming in a red-flagged area at Karon Beach yesterday afternoon.

The missing man, Arnon Rodjui, is originally from Samuthprakan, reported Col Charnarong Krongkue of Karon Police. 

Officers from the Karon Tourist Help Center and Karon Police searched for Mr Arnon using jet-skis this morning, but were unable to find any trace of the 28-year-old. 

Full Story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/One-missing-six-rescued-drowning-Phuket-beaches/66689?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-6-12

First Karon drowning of this low season, I believe, and probably not the last.

The article is not totally accurate: the Thai 'tourists' mentioned were all living and working in Phuket, mostly for an air-conditioning installation and service shop in Karon. The body of the missing guy was found at the rocks near the Marina Hotel in Karon this afternoon. 

Three of them were swept away and the two rescued at least had the sense to strip to their underwear before swimming; the dead guy was wearing jeans; not a good idea but, quite simply none of them should have been swimming at that location at that time with red flags flying.

I was familiar with the deceased, vaguely knowing his girlfriend and his mother, to whom i offer my condolences.

Karon beach has some quite strong surf and undertow.  I was there during November and December.  I am a very good swimmer, having grown up in the Ocean state, was on the swim and dive teams, a lifeguard etc.  But I am now currently not a STRONG swimmer. There is a big difference.  At 60 I am in good shape but I know I can't go swim one mile, or do much of the stuff I used to do.  I was getting knocked around quite a bit by the surf and I was not in deep.  And most people panic and fight the undertow or cross currents, instead of just going with them.  Unfortunately sometimes that drives one into rocks. 

42 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

But the white top waves coming in should signal caution.

They should, which is why I stayed out off Kata beach, so a lot quieter than Karon, this Sunday.

52 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Not without a beach umbrella and sun lounger, its hospital time with cancer from the rays in the civilised world.

So use them, they're available.