How Many Weeks In Advance Can I Apply For A One Year Extension For Retirement?

My retirement extension expires on November 1, 2017.

My question is, how soon can I go to Immigration and apply for a one year extension?

As I recall, last year they were accepting extension applications two weeks prior to expiration.

The sooner the better for everyone that includes home country income, as many currency exchange rates are retreating. 

It's impossible to estimate how much extra funding is to be deposited in a Thai Bank when declaring home country pension income to meet the minimum of 800,000 THB. At today's exchange rate figuring US$'s vs. THB that would be approximately $23,529.  As the dollar retreats that could go much higher.  A major currency devaluation would be a nightmare.

The safest way would be to deposit 800,000 THB + in the bank, but that is a fair sum of money to be tied up with so much financial concern in the world today.  Then there is the concern if they increase the 800, 000, THB minimum, with currencies retreating within the 3 month seasoning period!

It's impossible to do an estimation of the exchange rate in 3 months, at the end of October, 2017; at application time.

Does anyone know if there have been any rumors or recent changes to the 800,000, THB minimum required, or the number of months the funds have to be seasoned after the first year?

In view of the foregoing, many of my friends are considering moving out of Thailand to Vietnam or Cambodia where long term visas requirements are a bit more relaxed and expenses are lower, depending on what visa you apply for.

^^^What lopburi3 said.  

The Bangkok/CW Immigration allows up to 45 days early as that is where I apply and have applied between the 30 and 45 day point no problem.  Money and/or seasoning requirement is as of the "application date."   

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

30 to 45 days early.  Bangkok allows up to 45 days prior.  

I went in to Bangkok Immigration last year 45 days early and they told me to come back in 30 days.  I went back in 30 days and the same Supervisor told me to come back in 2 weeks!  I even had airline documentation that I was leaving three days after my first visit and my return was after expiration.  That made no difference.  I finally got the extension two weeks before. I have been living here for 11 years!  I understand why many are leaving Thailand.  I guess I will go in 46 days early and see what happens or just leave the country. Thank you for your response. I understand every Immigration Officer takes a different position.

Edited by Kabula
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pib said:

^^^What lopburi3 said.  

The Bangkok/CW Immigration allows up to 45 days early as that is where I apply and have applied between the 30 and 45 day point no problem.  Money and/or seasoning requirement is as of the "application date."   

Thank you for your reply.

Was your application submitted recently?

I went into Bangkok Immigration last year 45 days early and they told me to come back in 30 days.  I went back in 30 days and the same Supervisor told me to come back in 2 weeks!  I even had airline documentation that I was leaving three days after my first visit and my return was after expiration.  That made no difference.  I finally got the extension two weeks before. I have been living here for 11 years!  I understand why many are leaving Thailand.  I guess I will go in 46 days early and see what happens or just leave the country. Thank you for your response. I understand every Immigration Officer takes a different position.

Edited by Kabula

This was Chiang Watanna for one year retirement extension of stay - and your bank deposit had been in account long enough?  Have been doing retirement extensions at Bangkok for more than a decade and always between 30-45 days early and have not seen any such reports on this forum of them requiring less during this time.

My last extension was made yesterday and was about 33 days early.  But I am using income rather than bank deposit - but have no reason to believe there is any difference.

Edited by lopburi3

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

This was Chiang Watanna for one year retirement extension of stay - and your bank deposit had been in account long enough?  Have been doing retirement extensions at Bangkok for more than a decade and always between 30-45 days early and have not seen any such reports on this forum of them requiring less during this time.

My last extension was made yesterday and was about 33 days early.

Thank you.  Good to know. Yes, my bank funds were seasoned long enough last year.  I just had a grumpy, female Immigration Officer. I can understand why some are grumpy!

9 minutes ago, Kabula said:

It's impossible to estimate how much extra funding is to be deposited in a Thai Bank when declaring home country pension income to meet the minimum of 800,000 THB. At today's exchange rate figuring US$'s vs. THB that would be approximately $23,529.  As the dollar retreats that could go much higher.  A major currency devaluation would be a nightmare.

The income requirement is 65k baht monthly income not a annual income of 800k baht. Annual income is only 780k baht.

If you are worried about coming up short on income you could put some money in a Thai bank to use combined with your income. For example if you were worried about coming up short on income by 5000 baht per month (60k baht annual income) you could put 80k baht in the bank to meet the combined total requirement of 800k baht.

As said you can apply up to 30 days early or 45 at some offices.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kabula said:

Thank you for your reply.

Was your application submitted recently?

I went into Bangkok Immigration last year 45 days early and they told me to come back in 30 days.  I went back in 30 days and the same Supervisor told me to come back in 2 weeks!  I even had airline documentation that I was leaving three days after my first visit and my return was after expiration.  That made no difference.  I finally got the extension two weeks before. I have been living here for 11 years!  I understand why many are leaving Thailand.  I guess I will go in 46 days early and see what happens or just leave the country. Thank you for your response. I understand every Immigration Officer takes a different position.

My last extension at Chaeng Wattana (Bangkok) was Aug 16.   Sounds like you may have had some other issues not mentioned with your extension request with them wanting you to come back at the two week before point. 

13 minutes ago, Kabula said:

I went back in 30 days and the same Supervisor told me to come back in 2 weeks!

Are you talking about an L queue desk officer who reviews paperwork after obtaining a queue number and being called?  Unusual if both trips got the same queue desk.

You can apply for your one year extension up to 45 days before expiration of your current extension in Chiang Mai, with the day of the extension and the current day each counting as a day.  The funds have to be on deposit for at least 90 days ahead of the date of application and the letter from the bank verifying this cannot be more than 7 days old.  I'm told that if using an income letter from an embassy/consulate, it can't be more than six months old, but I don't use this method.

" The funds have to be on deposit for at least 90 days ahead of the date of application "

I've always been curious about this: isn't it 3 months usually, and 2 months for the first extension? Most often that isn't the same as 90 or 60 days, and Immigration can be very picky about that. 

24 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

I've always been curious about this: isn't it 3 months usually, and 2 months for the first extension? Most often that isn't the same as 90 or 60 days, and Immigration can be very picky about that. 

It is 60 days for the first extension and 3 months after that for a retirement extension.

• Like 2

Did my retirement extension about 1 week ago at ChaengWattana-  40 days early- no problem at all and no new requirements. In and out in 3 hours with new extension. Had Income Letter less than 6 months old.

I did notice that there appeared to be all different staff than prior years- all women ad I also noticed that the final signature for  retirement extensions is a different person that the one signing off on marriage extensions. Probably division of duties to make sure the same person does not sign off on everything.

9 hours ago, Kabula said:

I just had a grumpy, female Immigration Officer. I can understand why some are grumpy!

The same officer two different times and it was only you who wasn't allowed to submit an application for an extension?

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

I always go in more than 30 days early at Jomtien. Never been refused. 

You are obviously a 'hansum man'. The general rule for Jomtien is 30 days.

I tried last 2 years to do early - No - 30 days.

Edited by pontious

29 minutes ago, pontious said:

You are obviously a 'hansum man'. The general rule for Jomtien is 30 days.

I tried last 2 years to do early - No - 30 days.

I've never asked, I just hand over my documents and keep my mouth shut. I never ask any questions or try to tell the officer what to do or squirm on the edge of my chair. I think they appreciate the rare silence. 

More than 5 years ago I definitely was going in closer to 45 days early. The past few years it's been definitely more than 30 days but not by that much.

4 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I've never asked, I just hand over my documents and keep my mouth shut. I never ask any questions or try to tell the officer what to do or squirm on the edge of my chair. I think they appreciate the rare silence. 

More than 5 years ago I definitely was going in closer to 45 days early. The past few years it's been definitely more than 30 days but not by that much.

I have done the same - I do not not squirm on the edge of my chair, and hand in my forms and say nothing - they tell me to come back within  30 days.

13 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Out of interest, why do you always go more than 30 days before?  Is there some benefit from doing so?

51 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Out of interest, why do you always go more than 30 days before?  Is there some benefit from doing so?

Because I want to get it over and done with for another year ... the sooner the better.

1 hour ago, pontious said:

I have done the same - I do not not squirm on the edge of my chair, and hand in my forms and say nothing - they tell me to come back within  30 days.

A careful balance needs to be struck between  not squirming and appearing overly cavalier.

14 minutes ago, Wake Up said:

Man people here worry too much

Possibly you misinterpret dry humor as worry ... but thanks for worrying about us.

10 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

20? All?

I would be both surprised and annoyed if I'm still at it 20 years from now. If I am still about in 2037 I will probably approach annual renewals of extensions a great deal more casually than I do now.