Aussie tourist suing Thai government after horrific knife attack in Phuket

webfact

SCARRED FOR LIFE 

Tourist left looking like Batman baddie THE JOKER after his cheek was slashed wide open in a horrific sword attack

By Jon Lockett

fbb.jpg

Image: Carters News Agency/THE SUN

Jamie Shackleton now suing after he was maimed in a botched robbery attempt in Phuket, Thailand

A TOURIST has told how he was left looking like Batman baddie THE JOKER after his cheek was slashed wide open in a horrific sword attack.

Jamie Shackleton was scarred for life and still suffers terrifying flashbacks after his face was maimed by a 24-inch samurai sword in a botched robbery attempt in Phuket, Thailand.

The 28-year-old, from Perth, Australia, needed a five-hour operation and 48 stitches to close the huge 15 centimetre gash which ran across his left cheek and exposed the inside of his mouth.

Jamie had no travel insurance and so was forced to fork out £6,000 for private healthcare but now plans to seek compensation from the Thai government following the attack in February, 2009.

Full story: https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3781995/tourist-left-looking-like-batman-baddie-the-joker-after-his-cheek-was-slashed-wide-open-in-a-horrific-sword-attack/

-- THE SUN 2017-06-13

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Jamie now plans to seek compensation from the Thai Government under the 2001 Compensation and Expenses for Injured Persons and the Accused Act"

Not exactly "suing" the government, but hey...headlines these days: relevance is optional.  :coffee1:

Now if he seeks compensation following the guidelines of "financial compensation to victims who suffer injuries resulting from criminal offences" do not be surprised if the government says something along the lines of "since their was insufficient evidence and nobody was convicted of a crime it can't be proven that a criminal offence took place and so you get no compensation". :unsure:

I'd  be interested to know if anyone has heard of or knows of someone who has been compensated by the government through this Act.

oh really this is not such a big deal just like the other incident in Pattaya where another tourist was bashed up...!!!

the country needs in prioprity to deal with those over sexy busty superstars with sexy pelvic moves that make the top brass of governance, hard under their pants!!

who cares for these tourist farangs in Thailand who have "huge" amounts of money to drink and screw all those busty cuties that hang around??!!!

Hmmm.

The  attempted robbery was in 2009. Suspects never caught, police file closed in 2012 due to lack of evidence (no suspects, no sword, etc). Decides to sue in 2017.

I can't find a link to any story about the original robbery in 2009. Anyone else remember this ? (Though it was in Phuket and with all the crime stories coming from there it may not have been reported.)

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Hmmm.

The  attempted robbery was in 2009. Suspects never caught, police file closed in 2012 due to lack of evidence (no suspects, no sword, etc). Decides to sue in 2017.

I can't find a link to any story about the original robbery in 2009. Anyone else remember this ? (Though it was in Phuket and with all the crime stories coming from there it may not have been reported.)

maybe they just made it up ....

25 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

...with all the crime stories coming from there it may not have been reported.

Daily Mail says Mr Shackleton was running his own internet café in Phuket at the time of the attack. Not a tourist and no health insurance apparently.

Now let's come up with some interesting alternative reasons for the attack... Maybe he had already been warned about doing business in Pattaya.

Edited by ben2talk

With all the hype about the safety of foreigners whilst in Thailand, that the TAT keep ranting about, he has every right to seek compensation.....attacked by Thai thugs with a sword!

This was a terrorist attack!

Regardless whether he had was operating a business or not.

Edited by ChrisY1

As stated before, it's not a lawsuit, it's merely a claim under an act of law, which is easy to find online.

If he thinks he's going to get Western-style compensation then I think might be disappointed, however, assuming the time limit hasn't passed, he may well succeeding in getting something.

Typical over-sensationalism by the Sun.

Quote "Jamie now plans to seek compensation from the Thai Government under the 2001 Compensation and Expenses for Injured Persons and the Accused Act" 

Unfortunately, I think this only applies to Thai citizens, and not to foreigners.

1 hour ago, johnkirks said:

Aussie tourist, in Phuket, pays in Brit pounds?

I would imagine the sun, being what can loosely be called a newspaper and being British, converted the cost for the ease of its mostly uneducated cock womble readers.

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

Daily Mail says Mr Shackleton was running his own internet café in Phuket at the time of the attack. Not a tourist and no health insurance apparently.

Now let's come up with some interesting alternative reasons for the attack... Maybe he had already been warned about doing business in Pattaya.

Why would he be warned about doing business in Pattaya when he is in Phuket?

2 hours ago, SABloke said:

"Jamie now plans to seek compensation from the Thai Government under the 2001 Compensation and Expenses for Injured Persons and the Accused Act"

Not exactly "suing" the government, but hey...headlines these days: relevance is optional.  :coffee1:

Now if he seeks compensation following the guidelines of "financial compensation to victims who suffer injuries resulting from criminal offences" do not be surprised if the government says something along the lines of "since their was insufficient evidence and nobody was convicted of a crime it can't be proven that a criminal offence took place and so you get no compensation". :unsure:

I'd  be interested to know if anyone has heard of or knows of someone who has been compensated by the government through this Act.

The Brazilian model who was raped a few months ago was given money under this plan. I believe there have been others but cannot name them off hand, usually a high profile crime. Maybe the brit tourist in Hau Hin couple of years ago.

21 minutes ago, kingkenny said:

Why would he be warned about doing business in Pattaya when he is in Phuket?

ROFL ok, thanks - just curious if there'd be any Mafia undertones creeping in there. I talked to someone who opened a business in around 1996 who told me the biggest risk was that someone might see him as competition and try to bully him out.

3 hours ago, johnkirks said:

Aussie tourist, in Phuket, pays in Brit pounds?

The article doesn't specifically say he paid in pounds. 

The article in from a UK newspaper, therefore they probably converted the amount to pounds for their local readers convenience.

This attack was allegedly perpetrated by thugs who wield such weapons knowing the chances of them getting caught and facing consequences are limited. 

Someone, even the government is responsible for this lawlessness for if those in positions of decision making power encouraged greater levels of enforcement and a greater policing ethic many events such this may not even exists.

It is impossible to apply a 'what could be' statistic but it is a safe assumption to make that with improved enforcement and an improved policing eithic the average criminal and thug would be forced to re-think their behavior. 

4 hours ago, ben2talk said:

Maybe they'll compensate by slashing the price...

Is this story real news, or part of some propaganda to support setting up insurance vending machines at airports?

Even under the scheme mentioned, if you arrive with proper travel/medical insurance there would be no need to use vending machines and the fact remains that the unfortunate individual in the O/P ought to have had insurance. Focusing on the vending machines is just misdirection by those defending their own irresponsible behavior.

Certainly the majority of tourists or expats who expect to be treated for illness or injury in Thailand do not have such a horrific experience as the victim in the O/P, but the fact remains that traipsing about the planet assuming you are magically immune to more mundane illnesses or injury is childishly irresponsible.

And,  the more tourists and expats who stiff the hospitals after receiving medical treatment, the more expensive it becomes for those of us who do pay our bills since the hospitals' losses have to be made up some way. Not many non-government hospitals are run as charities with unlimited funding from indulgent benefactors intent on preserving nanny state mentality.

This happened back in 2011 (its in the article in the Sun). Secondly, he was not a tourist - he was running his own business "Jamie, who was running his own internet café in Phuket at the time of the attack, said: “When I was attacked my face was slashed open so wide I looked like the Joker from Batman – that’s exactly how it was." 

As perps are still at large .... no surprise there .....