how to get to the Immigration Office/Promenada Mall by public transport?

neronimo

Promenada has stopped their free transport from the city.  Instead, you must pay to go to Immigration at Promenada Mall.  Your options are song thaews, tuk tuks or Uber/Grab taxis if you have the nerve to use a service that is illegal in Thailand.  Good luck.  It's about 200 baht each way.  Maybe more.

Welcome to Chiang Mai!

5 hours ago, NancyL said:

Promenada has stopped their free transport from the city.  Instead, you must pay to go to Immigration at Promenada Mall.  Your options are song thaews, tuk tuks or Uber/Grab taxis if you have the nerve to use a service that is illegal in Thailand.  Good luck.  It's about 200 baht each way.  Maybe more.

Welcome to Chiang Mai!

Whenever I use UBER, be it in Europe or elsewhere, I make it a point to sit in front, next to the driver and have a cock and bull story ready in case of a check. This makes it look as if a friend is driving you someplace:thumbsup:

11 hours ago, elektrified said:

Public Transport???

Take Uber...you should be fine. Probably about 400 round trip.

If you can pay 400 , you don't need Uber, just take any red song thaw

Edited by EricTh

12 hours ago, NancyL said:

Welcome to Chiang Mai!

I can confirm this. Anyway, this was already posted in Promenada thread. Why is it that some people are lazy to search for it?

I took Uber from Kad Suan Kaew area to Promenada about two weeks ago.  It was 80 Baht there and 100 Baht to come back.  Uber's pricing can be very unpredictable.  I recently discovered Uber's "Surge Pricing" impact.  The cost of a ride can easily double when the "Surge Pricing" kicks in.  For grins I asked a Songthaew driver how much a ride to Promenada would cost?  He said 400 Baht.  

17 hours ago, NancyL said:

Welcome to Chiang Mai!

Grab Taxi is NOT illegal in Thailand, Uber and Grab Car (the services where they don't use actual taxis vs private cars) are however. Grab Taxi uses licensed taxis and is 100% legal. 

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:41 PM, NancyL said:

Welcome to Chiang Mai!

I got 100 going without haggling ( red songtheaw ) from near Chiang Mai gate, and could have got 100 on way back if I'd waited for a red Songteaw dropping off someone. I haggled down to 180, but could have got less if I'd really tried, from one waiting at Promenada.

The best way is to combine the trip to immigration with something else like going to the movies. Wednesday is cheap day- 120 at the back.

On ‎6‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 7:59 AM, EricTh said:

I can confirm this. Anyway, this was already posted in Promenada thread. Why is it that some people are lazy to search for it?

Because there are too many pages now.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I got 100 going without haggling ( red songtheaw ) from near Chiang Mai gate, and could have got 100 on way back if I'd waited for a red Songteaw dropping off someone. I haggled down to 180, but could have got less if I'd really tried, from one waiting at Promenada.

The best way is to combine the trip to immigration with something else like going to the movies. Wednesday is cheap day- 120 at the back.

In my opinion, the normal rate of 200 baht one way is a rip-off.

My guess is these are the people who called for the free rides to be cancelled. They wait at Promenada for a few hours just to rip off customers.

There should be a cheaper public transport other than the red taxis. After all, if I go to Mae Jo university from city center, it costs me only 20 baht which is around the same distance to Promenada.

The best way is to share the trip with other foreigners on Uber/Grab going on the same day if we can't find alternative public transport.

Edited by EricTh

1 minute ago, Bill97 said:

Song taeo to Big C 30 Baht and walk around the corner 4 minutes of much needed exercise.

That's a good option. What's the color of this Song Taeo bus?

Edited by EricTh

We've been using one tuk tuk man for years when e need extra transport  very reliable, not that expensive given that taxis and tuk tuk's etc., are not cheap in CM, he speaks about intermediate level English, always polite, no bullshit ever.

Occasionally not available at the specific time requested because he has lots of regular jobs.

PM to me if you want his name and number. 

thaibeachlovers said: Does anyone know anything about the red songtheaws parked outside Promenada with a written sign on them proclaiming "shuttle, 30 baht"?

The driver I spoke to only waved me to go to the one that wanted 200 baht, and refused to answer my question and muttered something about "inside only".

I was at Promenada around 9.30 and there was no q for any of the categories, and not a lot of people at all. I don't know why there would be less expats just because it is low season.

BTW, the cinema is giving "senior" discounts. 100 baht for a year and the tickets are a lot less every time than full price. Need passport to get the card though.

Don't take the ones who want to charge 200 baht, it's a ripoff.

I've never seen those 30 baht shuttle, in the past, the shuttle was free until they cancelled the service.

When you saw the shuttle, why didn't you go outside and take them that day?

Edited by EricTh

On 6/18/2017 at 5:41 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Where do you catch that songtheaw?

I always choose the bus painted like Furthur.

What colour is that?

Like he said, it is just outside Big C along super highway.

I am not sure how often the bus comes, I tried to catch one in the past somewhere but got sun-burned waiting too long.

4 hours ago, EricTh said:

thaibeachlovers said: Does anyone know anything about the red songtheaws parked outside Promenada with a written sign on them proclaiming "shuttle, 30 baht"?

The driver I spoke to only waved me to go to the one that wanted 200 baht, and refused to answer my question and muttered something about "inside only".

I was at Promenada around 9.30 and there was no q for any of the categories, and not a lot of people at all. I don't know why there would be less expats just because it is low season.

BTW, the cinema is giving "senior" discounts. 100 baht for a year and the tickets are a lot less every time than full price. Need passport to get the card though.

Don't take the ones who want to charge 200 baht, it's a ripoff.

I've never seen those 30 baht shuttle, in the past, the shuttle was free until they cancelled the service.

There is no alternative which is why they won't go for less than 180. If more than one person goes it's still 200 for the songtheaw, not each.

I am not sure how often the bus comes, I tried to catch one in the past somewhere but got sun-burned waiting too long.

I meant where do you catch that songtheaw in TOWN, not at Promenada.

Why go through all this hassle about various song taews, 200Baht, where do they stop, etc etc.

Go door to door.

My family has been using one tuk tuk man for years when we need extra transport.

Very reliable, not that expensive given that taxis and tuk tuk's etc., are not cheap in CM and often longer distances. He speaks about intermediate level English, always polite, no bullshit etc., and if you ask him 'where can I get this' etc., he can often give a possibility, but never any games. And often he will come with you into the shop and try to translate for you.

Occasionally not available at the specific time requested because he has lots of regular jobs. Just re-arrange your times.

PM to me if you want his name and number. 

Never said outside Big C along the superhighway.

Never said catch a bus, said catch a song theow.

4 hours ago, Bill97 said:

Never said outside Big C along the superhighway.

Never said catch a bus, said catch a song theow.

Song Thaeo is not even an English word, technically, it is a Thai bus that is shared among passengers.

Does any bus actually go inside Big C just for you? I doubt so.

All the buses I've taken drop me along the main road.

Song Thaeo is not even an English word, technically, it is a Thai bus that is shared among passengers.

Does any bus actually go inside Big C just for you? I doubt so.

All the buses I've taken drop me along the main road.

There are usually about 4-5 songthaews queued up at Big C Extra (Super Highway). But the drivers all want 200 to go anywhere. If you are a skilled bargainer and can speak some Thai - then maybe 150. As far as Big C Don Chan is concerned (near Prom), I've never seen regular queues of songthaews there. The wife's mother likes to shop there and she usually finds a tuk tuk outside to take her and her groceries back to her house for about 120 Baht.

On 6/21/2017 at 3:09 PM, EricTh said:

Does he charge 30 baht and below for one person? I don't think so.

30Baht? to Where?

His pricing, like all tuks tuks is per specific trip.

Just one passenger, 30Baht in CM is not going to take you far.

Only cheap fare is flagging a red song taow and get on board with no discussion indicating that your accepting the standard route he's following. Ring the bell to get off along the way and you'll probably get a a 30Baht fare, but depending on how far you've traveled along the standard route.

But specific trips, just for you, the pricing on any transport is way way above the above scenario. 

Plus Tuk tuks don't ply standard jump on / jump off. routes.They are specific trips point to point as requested by you, you alone.

If you want to go say Maya to Promenade, you alone, by tuk tuk then don't expect a 30Baht fare, totally unrealistic.

• Like 1

If Prom where on the route of one of the "special" non-red songthaews then the fare would be much less than 30 baht.  Sometimes I go to see expats admitted at Nakorn Ping hospital, just beyond Lanna golf course and can take the Mae Rim song thaew for 15 baht.  It picks up people near the Chang Puek bus station and Warorot market.