Passport expires April 2018. 1 year Visa expires Sept 2018. What will happen?

As stated - my passport expires April 2018. 1 year Visa expires Sept 2018.

Will I get a 1 year extension up to Sept 2018 or April 2018?

If April 2018 will I have to go through the visa renewal process again, or can I get the stamp transferred to the new passport?

Thanks!

What type of visa do you you have?

Have you made an error in the date that you extension expires? Perhaps September of 2017. If that is correct your new extension would only be valid to the date your passport expires and you would have apply for a new extension then.

Also when its time to renew your passport make sure you apply for the renewal about 4 weeks before expiry (for Uk citizens anyway)........if you wait until the last week before it expires and you dont get the new passport back until a week after expiry of the old one you will have to pay overstay for the period from the old expiry date to the new passport start date when you go to immigration to move your visa stamps from old to new.

Its just happened to a friend of mine in Pattaya he had 8000 baht to pay.

The situation outlined by the OP happened to me. My passport was in a pile with those of about 20 others at my workplace. Neither I, the Personnel Officer, or anyone at Immigration noticed that mine only had about 6 month's validity remaining. It was rubber-stamped with the same 1 year visa as the others.

It only came to light several months later when I re-entered Thailand after a trip abroad. The Immigration Officer at the airport wrote out an order telling me to go the Immigration Office within 7 days to get my Extension of Stay validity shortened to conform with my passport validity. This occurred in approximately 1999. After I got my new passport, they gave me the remaining portion of my 1 year in the new passport.

10 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

New passport; transfer the visa.

A visa cannot be transferred. Immigration only transfers stamps they have done and does a annotation about the visa you used for entry.

If you have a valid visa issued by and embassy or consulate you have to use both passports on entry to the country to use the visa in the old passport.

13 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Or, as with the British passport, carry both passports.

Why?

It is the same for all passports.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

One of the prerequisites for getting a one year visa is your passport must not expire before the year is up.

How did that mistake  slip through? ?

It didn't.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If that is correct your new extension would only be valid to the date your passport expires and you would have apply for a new extension then.

2 hours ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Also when its time to renew your passport make sure you apply for the renewal about 4 weeks before expiry (for Uk citizens anyway)........if you wait until the last week before it expires and you dont get the new passport back until a week after expiry of the old one you will have to pay overstay for the period from the old expiry date to the new passport start date when you go to immigration to move your visa stamps from old to new.

Its just happened to a friend of mine in Pattaya he had 8000 baht to pay.

For British citizens you should apply well before 4 weeks from the expiration date of your passport. In fact you should do it up to 9 months beforehand, if it fits in with travel plans or extensions of stay. 

You can get up to 9 months added to the 10 years if you renew early.

They will not put a one year visa in a passport with only six months validity, get your new passport first, your old one will be cancelled, take both to your local immigration office,  they will transfer your stamps from old to new free of charge, come September start the procedure again, i have recently been through this process, pretty straight forward

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JIMMY56 said:

They will not put a one year visa in a passport with only six months validity, get your new passport first, your old one will be cancelled, take both to your local immigration office,  they will transfer your stamps from old to new free of charge, come September start the procedure again, i have recently been through this process, pretty straight forward

The will not give you the remainder of the the one year extension when you get a new passport. If your passport has less than one year of validity the extension will only be until the date your passport expires and then you have to apply for a new extension when that is ending.

Form this page on immigration website. http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php

According to the New Regulation from August 13, 2013, when submitting application for Visa Extension if the validity of passport of the applicant is not longer than one year left before expiry, the extension of stay will be permitted not exceeding the expired date of passport. 
After the renewal of your passport of obtaining a new passport, you have to re-apply for Visa Extension by submitting required document and paying extension fee ( 1,900 Baht ). In case of overstay, the fine is 500 Baht per day.

A assume your recent was before August of 2013.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

For British citizens you should apply well before 4 weeks from the expiration date of your passport. In fact you should do it up to 9 months beforehand, if it fits in with travel plans or extensions of stay. 

You can get up to 9 months added to the 10 years if you renew early.

Yes best to do it well in advance.....................another thing to watch for is to make sure you dont have a 90 day report looming just after you intend to send the passport off.....

5 minutes ago, thaiflyer1 said:

Yes best to do it well in advance.....................another thing to watch for is to make sure you dont have a 90 day report looming just after you intend to send the passport off.....

You don't have to send your passport anywhere to get a new UK passport. They give it back to you when you apply for the new one.

Same for most other countries.