Video: Who is to blame for this? Lucky escape for couple on expressway

webfact

Video: Who is to blame for this? Lucky escape for couple on expressway

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

BANGKOK: -- The world of social media was abuzz yesterday after a dash cam clip of an accident was posted on Facebook.

It showed a couple driving in the right lane quite slowly who then pulled across to the left to seemingly allow a Mercedes Benz to pass.

But instead of passing the clearly upset driver just cut in front of the car with the dash cam and forced it to come to a halt.

Seconds later a large truck comes from behind and sideswipes the car causing damage.

The Benz drives off at speed leaving the driver of the damaged car furious.

The footage showed the car catching up with the truck but nothing more.

The poster said it was lucky that they were not killed.

The incident happened on the Ram Intra Expressway in Bangkok on the Sunday and was posted on Facebook under the name Warawan Niruntasuk.

Thai Rath said that expressway police had not received a report of this accident and the poster of the clip could not be contacted.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-06-15

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical Thai driving see this sort of thing, or almost, every time we drive around Bangkok, they either do not know the highway side or ignore it. They have little common sense and no consideration, the only rule they drive by is me first, I have even seen accidents in car parks.

Edited by Orton Rd

When people spend so much money on the MB then see in the cinema or if they go on holiday the same make and model being used as a taxi especialy in Germany is it any surprise they get bad tempered. I cover mine during the day and only drive it at night to save any embarrassment.

Just another 'I am entitled' because of my car.

??????

Edited by overherebc

I doubt the truck can brake on time since this is expressway. Luckily the truck driver managed to veer off to the right lane on time. The dashcam driver could have crashed on the Benz for braking for no reason.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Well I see the blurred out number plate so it's clear enough the car can be traced. Not sure why the victim driver did not report this to the cops asap, in this instance the driver for the 'Mercedes' can be held accountable for putting someone else's life at risk.

In another country that is a serious offense with jail time!  :saai: Remind me - we are in Thailand now!

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Typical Thai driving see this sort of thing, or almost, every time we drive around Bangkok, they either do not know the highway side or ignore it. They have little common sense and no consideration, the only rule they drive by is me first, I have even seen accidents in car parks.

Actually, back in the west. car parks are one of the places that according to insurance companies where accidents occur the most.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

When people spend so much money on the MB then see in the cinema or if they go on holiday the same make and model being used as a taxi especialy in Germany is it any surprise they get bad tempered. I cover mine during the day and only drive it at night to save any embarrassment.

Just another 'I am entitled' because of my car.

??????

1 hour ago, shady86 said:

I doubt the truck can brake on time since this is expressway. Luckily the truck driver managed to veer off to the right lane on time. The dashcam driver could have crashed on the Benz for braking for no reason.

I don't think so! In addition anyone can fabricate a reason for stopping.

1 hour ago, nasanews said:

It was the dash cam car driver fault to swerve to the far right then stopping on busy lane of the left side. 

Are you OK? Swerve? The 'dashcam' car eased normally to the right. He should have gone to centre lane but 'hogging' the right lane is a very minor offence here.

As for stopping, it seems he had little alternative except to 'swerve' into the centre lane.

1 hour ago, LazySlipper said:

Actually, back in the west. car parks are one of the places that according to insurance companies where accidents occur the most.

Mostly claims where someone has already damaged/scratched their car off-road ( not covered by insurance ) and a small bump in the car park on the same area can be claimed for.

Insurance companies in UK don't generally attend accidents and rely on photo's/reports etc.

The driver of the dashcam car needs to go to traffic school. Too many times I see drivers thinking that because they are going the speed limit that entitles them to drive in the right lane. The safest speed is the prevailing speed of traffic, and if traffic is going faster than you, you need to move left. Still, he didn't actually commit any traffic offenses. He was just ignorant.

The MB driver is guilty of reckless driving. Coming to a complete stop on an expressway for no reason creates a road hazard and he needs to be ticketed for it. Depending on the distance between the MB and the truck when he came to a stop, it may be possible to show that it was this reckless driving which directly caused the accident.

The vehicle ultimately responsible for the accident is probably the truck who was unable to stop in time.  He likely had enough time to stop, but just didn't expect to be presented with a stopped vehicle and therefore was slow in braking. Drivers are responsible for being aware of their surroundings. Unless it can be established that the reckless driving by the MB created a situation that was impossible to avoid, the truck driver would bear responsibility.

Personally, I think the MB was at fault, but without any data to back that up it is just an opinion. I think the MB driver was a real jerk with serious emotional problems and should not be allowed a driver's license until he has completed court mandated therapy and received a sign off from a trained psychologist that he is no longer a danger to himself or others.

One can dream...

The driver of the dashcam car needs to go to traffic school. Too many times I see drivers thinking that because they are going the speed limit that entitles them to drive in the right lane. The safest speed is the prevailing speed of traffic, and if traffic is going faster than you, you need to move left. Still, he didn't actually commit any traffic offenses. He was just ignorant.

The MB driver is guilty of reckless driving. Coming to a complete stop on an expressway for no reason creates a road hazard and he needs to be ticketed for it. Depending on the distance between the MB and the truck when he came to a stop, it may be possible to show that it was this reckless driving which directly caused the accident.

The vehicle ultimately responsible for the accident is probably the truck who was unable to stop in time.  He likely had enough time to stop, but just didn't expect to be presented with a stopped vehicle and therefore was slow in braking. Drivers are responsible for being aware of their surroundings. Unless it can be established that the reckless driving by the MB created a situation that was impossible to avoid, the truck driver would bear responsibility.

Personally, I think the MB was at fault, but without any data to back that up it is just an opinion. I think the MB driver was a real jerk with serious emotional problems and should not be allowed a driver's license until he has completed court mandated therapy and received a sign off from a trained psychologist that he is no longer a danger to himself or others.

One can dream...

Most of the drivers here overtake from left if there is a lane hogger on the right lane. I see the expressway is quite empty at that time so the Benz driver must have mental problem for this issue. Anyway there is insurance to cover all these mess and the most important thing is no life is lost. The rule of slower vehicle moving to left lane doesn't exist in this country.

Had almost exactly the same thing happen with some ass in a MB doing 150+ in the far right and start to tailgate me as I was in the far right overtaking slower traffic on my left...

He decided to swerve hard left after I had pass and move into the centre lane causing at least 4 cars behind to brake very hard one locking up wheels..

Once all were stopped he rolled his windows down and shouted something and drove off...

2 hours ago, overherebc said:

Not sure today but back in my UK time the police were really only interested if someone was injured or someone was reported to have been drinking.

As I said, not sure about nowadays.

Same and probably more so. They can see most accidents on CCTV but will only send officers if someone has been injured; someone reports one or more drivers for drinking, being on phone etc; a busy road is blocked and causing serious/dangerous obstruction. They aren't really interest in minor bumps, even not so minor ones and will leave the insurance companies to sort it. 

I've seen varying comments about different forces attitudes to reported instances of road rage with dangerous driving and assaults. Some react very quickly others a little less interested.

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

All 3 drivers at fault, dash cam driver hogging the fast lane, MB driver for road rage, truck driver driving too fast, unable to stop/manoevre.

Exactly what I came on to post.

16 minutes ago, dutchweller said:

Had almost exactly the same thing happen with some ass in a MB doing 150+ in the far right and start to tailgate me as I was in the far right overtaking slower traffic on my left...

He decided to swerve hard left after I had pass and move into the centre lane causing at least 4 cars behind to brake very hard one locking up wheels..

Once all were stopped he rolled his windows down and shouted something and drove off...

That's the Chalong Rat Expressway at the Ram Intrha exit/entrance. I use that expressway a lot and see some atrocious driving. Many drive at excessive speeds, many ignore the "don't change lanes" sections; many flash for everyone to make way for them as they're special; many tailgate to intimidate drivers to move over; and many over and undertake as they weave all over the three lanes, usually at silly speeds regardless of the conditions. 

I was once coming off at the Lat Phrao exit and signalled to move into the left lane from the center lane. The car in the left hand lane was several car lengths behind me and signalling he wanted to move right into the center lane. Easy manouvre - I move left, he moves right behind me and overtakes as I'm slowing to exist. But know,  he insisted on accelerating, trying to undertake me first, then move right in front of me! He was so far behind he couldn't. So he sounded his horn several times, drew alongside, and shouted and waived. Little prick syndrome! He then moved right again, into the fast lane without looking or signalling forcing several cars to break and swerve. He shouted at them too before speeding off.

I can only put behavior like that down to mental illness or being high on something illegal. Trouble is, you never know what those tosspots have in their cars.

26 minutes ago, Nemesis7 said:

No logic or arguments about right or  wrong applies for thai's. it's a whole new planet by itself with own standards on almost every walk of lives 

Logic, cause and effect and critical thinking all passed Thailand by. Therefore the only consideration is "I'm always right, never ever wrong; it's never my fault; and never my responsibility. And they will make absurd comments to prove that!

2 hours ago, Monomial said:

It is not clear how fast the driver with the cam was going. I saw a 50 KM/h sign early in the footage. We don't know how fast it was driving, but we can assume that the MB was over the speed limit as there is rarely any consequences of any significance given to people with that kind of money, driving that fast, in the West or in Thailand, I should add, although this kind of offensive driving should get you in trouble in the West, I would think.