Tokyo business man just ten minutes into first trip to Pattaya - now 50,000 baht lighter

webfact

Whilst the bad guy here is absolutely the thief, it is a fact that Japan has a very low rate of street robbery and crime in general. This tends to create a false sense of security for Japanese when they go on their travels wandering around places like Afghanistan or Pattaya confident that no particular safeguards are required.

I've never heard of any Japanese with a name anything remotely like "Single Dalian" or even "Single."

And likewise, Japanese businessmen aren't usually big on wearing gold necklaces.

But, Chinese are, and Dalian happens to be the name of a city in China. So perhaps this was a Chinese guy who happened to come from or be living in Japan.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

oh well ....   he can absorb the 50k loss. He's lucky it was only 50k and not more ...

when arriving tourists need to keep gold and money safely hidden ...  it's that simple. And don't carry shoulder bags if you don't need to.

arrive Bangkok

1st put brain into locker

2nd put gold chain in locker and put 50 baht fake chain around neck

3rd always have 10,000 baht in body bag hidden around waist to pay the police for the best service that money can buy

Edited by tezzainoz
  • Like 1

I used to think that Thailand was a very safe country to live in or visit, but I have seen that there are now pockets of crime in areas where many tourists gather, like Pattaya and Phuket. Tourists are generally less careful about their possessions as they are on holiday when nothing can go wrong! This is especially so when they come from countries like Japan or the Middle East where such personal robberies are almost unknown for cultural and enforcement  reasons.

Combine lax enforcement with rich careless tourists and the sharks will gather to pick off their prey. The answer is a combination of prevention advice, that Thailand, especially TAT, is reluctant to give for "image" reasons, and stronger enforcement to remove the sharks by fear of being caught, but who knows if law enforcement here take a share of the proceeds, like is alleged with drugs and prostitution?

Failure to "crack down", a favourite here but rarely continued beyond its announcement, will just mean tourists are discouraged from coming here and will divert to safer destinations like Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam. Thais should realise that countries like Myanmar will soon be competing for tourists as well.

You can combat use of motorcycles for crime by starting to enforce strict licensing, insurance and registration, seizing offenders' machines, and not allowing people to ride around on bikes without plates and without helmets. People are rich enough to get drunk and put petrol in their bikes, they can certainly afford to pay the fees for legalising their transport.

Time Mr PM to stop worrying about twerking and start worrying about cleaning the streets of these sharks by getting the police and army to do their jobs! 

Why did this guy feel that he had to wear a necklace of any kind. Did he not even read any news of

Thailand before this trip. Is Japan blind to the thefts of gold necklaces from Foreignors of China that

have made the news.  I cannot feel sorry for any tourist tat feels they have to wear expensive jewelry of

any kind.

Geezer

28 minutes ago, kcpattaya said:

Based on what exactly?

Erh!!!????!!

Are you actually joking? And don't tell me, you are going to ask for some kind of data or stats to back that up even you know posters won't have access to that info, or won't be that bothered to try just because you ask them to...

24 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

Why did this guy feel that he had to wear a necklace of any kind. Did he not even read any news of

Thailand before this trip. Is Japan blind to the thefts of gold necklaces from Foreignors of China that

have made the news.  I cannot feel sorry for any tourist tat feels they have to wear expensive jewelry of

any kind.

Geezer

Yeah right, blame the victim.

Yes Vacuum I will blame the victim. Pattaya has long been known to be a bit dangerous, especially after

dark.  I was robbed in Pattaya years ago , and I was just glad that I only lost money and not my life.

I got to see a couple members of the Thai mafia.  Not the kind of people you want to meet on your first

visit

Geezer

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but this guy did NOT do his homework, otherwise he would have known better than to be wearing gold in plain sight.  I am not trying to say it is his fault, it is not, but that a little research, prior to going to a foreign destination for the first time, goes a long way.

I know Japan is supposed to be a pretty safe place, but there they have a fully professional, responsible and capable police force.  Thailand does not, hence rampant criminality, often with police involvement.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Foozool said:

Just don't bring your gold to Thailand.

actually I had a nice one, but I sold it before I moved to Thailand since I knew what eventually will end up to.

In the girlfriend's hope chest?  :cheesy:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Tokyo business man just ten minutes into first trip to Pattaya - now 50,000 baht lighter

...and it only took 15 minutes to be on the watchlist of the TAT to prevent him from giving interviews to the media.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Its looks like quiet an efficient system, thief meets the tourist as they get off the bus, maybe a robbery booth at the airport could be next

Ha ha, good one.  Tourist arrivals are made to file through the airport robbery kiosk before Immigration, and they are issued an official receipt.  If confronted by another robber later that day, just show the receipt as proof you've already contributed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thailand49 said:

:stoner:Based, on the story, it smells?   The police can start with the driver of the tour bus?  check his cell phone for the last call?

Just a stab, but maybe the driver saw the gold chain, called ahead to a friend and when they stop and Japanese was waiting bang gone!  The photo showing busy Sukhumvit?  what a coincident?  Last, what is someone trying to prove a 50,000 gold chain on a tour?  Plain stupid in my opinion!  That is like hanging a light bulb around a turkey saying come and get it?

What you think 50k baht is a big gold chain? Its fuckin tiny not even 1500 dollars. 2 Thai baht gold. most bargirls wearing bigger bracelets than that.

That's only a 5 baht chain, hardly unusual. I had a 2 baht chain that was so thin it broke while I was sleeping on a plane so I got the thinnest, most compact 4 baht chain and never had a problem. 

I think the secret is wearing it under your shirt, not like Mr. T. 

2 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

Once again the two thoughts.  Stupid to show off your gold and why shouldn't you be able to show off the bling. I personally  wouldn't even go to a place that is infamous for its snatches.

But Pattaya is world famous for world famous for it's snatches. You can get young snatches, old snatches, slim snatches & fat snatches.

5 minutes ago, Guitar God said:

That's only a 5 baht chain, hardly unusual. I had a 2 baht chain that was so thin it broke while I was sleeping on a plane so I got the thinnest, most compact 4 baht chain and never had a problem. 

I think the secret is wearing it under your shirt, not like Mr. T. 

I wear my 6-pack abs under my shirt too, not like Mr. T. Don't want anyone to steal my 6-pack abs.