Water filter system - stainless or fiberglass tanks??

DepDavid

I need to install a filter system and need to get real life experience feedback. I have seen the photos of corroded stainless tanks but they never indicate age or location of install. Which system do you think is best? I don't need an automatic backflush system. Thank you in advance.

Do you currently have an issue with iron in your water?

1.  Bacterial Iron in Well Water

Iron bacteria is usually identified by slime in places such as toilet reservoirs or by the presence of a slimy mass fouling softeners or filters.

2.  Ferric Iron in Well Water

Also known as red water iron, ferric iron in well water is essentially clear water iron that has been exposed to oxygen – usually from the air, thereby oxidizing.  Carbon dioxide leaves the water and the oxygen combines with the iron to form ferric ions (Fe+++).  This gives the water a red rust coloring.

3.  Ferrous Iron in Well Water

Often called clearwater iron because it is clear when poured, this substance is found in water that contains no oxygen. Typically, it comes from deeper wells and groundwater sources. Carbon dioxide acts on iron in the ground to form soluble ferrous bicarbonate. In water this forms ferrous ions (Fe++).

Iron tends to “contaminate” stainless steel surfaces. Also, ion-exchange water filtration processes tend to cause their own problems.

Why Does Stainless Steel Rust?

polymersolutions.com  |  by Alex Wensley  |  March 19, 2015

As always, you need to know what water issues you're actually having before someone can give advice or propose a potential solution.

You're not making this easy by not disclosing your current water test results.

If you want to do this on your own, highly suggest a google search --  site:thaivisa.com keywords go here

Example:   Site:ThaiVisa.com Stainless Steel or Plastic Water Tank

Lots and lots and lots of discussion on the topic. ThaiVisa is pretty great that way.  

Try it, I think you'll get the answer you're looking for.

2 hours ago, DepDavid said:

I'm looking for real life experiences based on steel or fiberglass filter system not holding tanks. First thought was to search this site but nothing came up.

Do filtering systems have tanks ?

Are you looking for a filtering solution to service multiple outlets ?

Edited by Techno Viking

Just now, RichCor said:

The water has to come into contact with the filter/exchange medium and remain contained somehow.

ThaiVisa_Filter.jpg.00155f1bcf0447fa90467861e5807034.jpg  ThaiVisa_Filter2.jpg.0674e631dacbe8371fdd951d1342a675.jpg

yeah thats a filter assembly.

The thread title mentions tanks but then the OP goes onto say no holding tanks..... very confusing with the very limited info from the OP as to what he/she is looking for.

@DepDavid think you are looking at something like this, either in fibreglass or stainless?

Personally I went for fibreglass for the reasons in the above link, and cost.

20 litre each carbon filter and resin filter.

Manual backwash every week and brine recharge resin every 2 weeks.

IMG20170617133026.jpg

Try a slightly different google search then,

site:ThaiVisa.com replace whole-house stainless steel water filter

Some sample returns:

Water Filters - Stainless Steel Vs Fiberglass
Started by 202marcellus, June 25, 2008

Water filter advice needed.
Started by TBWG, May 6, 2016

Recommendation for whole house sediment filter
Started by Monomial, February 12, 2016

A Large Water Fliter Wanted
Started by BIGJIMMY, March 8, 2011

...though, given you're looking for real-life comparison experiences, it's a bit like panning for gold dust. But there are a few posts discussing the quick rust-out issue with the local 'Thai' stainless steel.