American tourist who died at remote waterfall "insulted the spirits" say Koh Samui locals

webfact

32 minutes ago, billd766 said:

quote from the OP  " Police and foundation rescue staff had to trek three kilometers on foot to reach the victim and other tourists. They were in a steep and rocky area not officially opened for tourism due to its inaccessibility."

So if those highly sophisticated Westerners with all their accumulated scientific knowledge completely ignored the fact that the area was not officially opened for tourism due to its inaccessability, that makes them smarter than the highly suprstitious locals who actually don't go to that area.

Westerners are smarter than Thais are they?

Where did I say Westerners are smarter than 'Thais'? Why is this a West Vs. Thai thing? Are there not Thais who use science as a measure for applying common sense?

You've inferred that for your own agenda.  I'm having a go at people who think that using superstition is somehow endearing. It's not. Whether it be in the West or Thailand, this mentality is detrimental to moving forward. 

It's 2017. There are no spirits, ghosts or bogeymen. There never were. 

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder how many people who post on TV have any religious beliefs? Probably most on here would call them self Christian or one of the other established cults. If so I would suggest they take a close look at their belief and see all the issues that others would call stupid. For example does anyone really believe the Red Sea was actually parted so they could walk over? Really? Come on, every area of the world has its own beliefs and if you look closely at them all they are basically the same. The difference is the way it is presented to its immediate audience.

13 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

No superstitions here....but if he really peed on a sacred area?...what to say?....was he dizzy due to some other reason? what to say?.

This reminds me of that train derailment up north a few years back when heavy rain washed away some of the track support. They sent the train through hoping it would be OK; but it derailed. The Thai railway authority blamed it on the workers who built the line in the first place; citing that they were not good enough Buddhists.

5 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

The spirit who was offended has now been identified as gravity.

If there as any spirit involved it probably came in a 700 ml bottle with a Sang Som label on the front..

Edited by darksidedog

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, things like religion were created to control people and for someone reason it's still working. Now we are progressing as societies and we can use law and order to deter people from doing harm. We can use science to to deter people from trying to defy gravity, etc. 

Using knowledge we can move forward and progress as a species. Using old nonsensical superstitious claptrap keeps some people in the stone ages. Opinions never change facts. People have the right to believe in whatever they want. Just like other people have the right to think that belief is stupid and detrimental to our well-being and progression. 

Rkidlad, Your post made my day.....So good !!!! thx ! respect !!!

16 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Where did I say Westerners are smarter than 'Thais'? Why is this a West Vs. Thai thing? Are there not Thais who use science as a measure for applying common sense?

You've inferred that for your own agenda.  I'm having a go at people who think that using superstition is somehow endearing. It's not. Whether it be in the West or Thailand, this mentality is detrimental to moving forward. 

It's 2017. There are no spirits, ghosts or bogeymen. There never were. 

But you are inferring for your own agenda that if Thais are superstitious  and don't belive in science then they cannot be as smart as Westerners who DO believe in science.

If in 2017 you don't believe in spirits, ghosts or bogeymen that is up to you. Other people do which is up to them.

10 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

I wonder how many people who post on TV have any religious beliefs? Probably most on here would call them self Christian or one of the other established cults. If so I would suggest they take a close look at their belief and see all the issues that others would call stupid. For example does anyone really believe the Red Sea was actually parted so they could walk over? Really? Come on, every area of the world has its own beliefs and if you look closely at them all they are basically the same. The difference is the way it is presented to its immediate audience.

"Religion poisons everything." The late, great, Christoper Hitchens.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

But you are inferring for your own agenda that if Thais are superstitious  and don't belive in science then they cannot be as smart as Westerners who DO believe in science.

If in 2017 you don't believe in spirits, ghosts or bogeymen that is up to you. Other people do which is up to them.

I didn't 'infer' anything. I 'implied' that superstitious beliefs are nonsensical and do damage to societies. 

Like I said; people have the right to believe in whatever they like. Just like I have the right to believe that their beliefs are horribly misinformed and for the stone age. 

Anyone who believes in science and not superstition 'is' literally smarter, yes. Regardless of their skin colour, sex, nationality, religion or creed. Stop making this an us Vs them thing. 

Wich belief again has even a Holy Ghost?

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Let's agree. There are stupid people everywhere in the world: Thais and foreigners. This story proves it. 

While the belief that some external "entity" causes accidents or casts spells,...is quite universal, let me remind the Thais who believe this that Romans and Greeks believed that gods were causing lightning, floods, tsunamis,... because they did not know the real causes. Sounds of cracks in the house are likely rats running around, not ghosts. We now know that there are scientific phenomena that cause these things. Aren't Thai teachers teaching this? This is so backward.

Not to say that Western culture is that much better, but at least we teach that we must face and own our errors and we don't subscribe anymore to the idea that gods and such are in charge. Maybe the "farangs" are not that stupid. 

Still, was it a fall or someone pushed him? Was he alone? 

6 hours ago, daboyz1 said:

Will "insulted sprits" be the official cause on the death certificate? 

I guess the police report will be same hard to write.

But, who knows. Maybe it will twist and turn. Finally it will be a travel companion that gave him a small push!

Oooohh! Good grief! The spirit is real!

6 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

It is easy to mock the local people for their beliefs, but having spent a long time in rural Asia (outside of Thailand) I have a slightly different take.

I always found that the local animism and the concurrent belief in 'spirits' was more a way to try and live in harmony with nature, In olden days, the easiest way to express what we now call environmentalism and common sense in dealings with nature was to ascribe what they saw to a supernatural presence, and by heeding the 'spirits', local people adapted themselves to their local conditions.

I think it is true that the guy slipped on a rock. That said. the local belief might actually have been saying "don't go there or you might slip on a rock". It is just expressed in a different manner.

Cheers

at last something intelligent that makes sense....well said my friend!

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, things like religion were created to control people and for someone reason it's still working. Now we are progressing as societies and we can use law and order to deter people from doing harm. We can use science to to deter people from trying to defy gravity, etc. 

Using knowledge we can move forward and progress as a species. Using old nonsensical superstitious claptrap keeps some people in the stone ages. Opinions never change facts. People have the right to believe in whatever they want. Just like other people have the right to think that belief is stupid and detrimental to our well-being and progression. 

And the unfortunate American will be flow back to America and have a Christian Funeral with prayers and people believing he has been taken by God.. as it was his time, or the Devil or Demons killed him, and now he will have eternal life with Jesus and God on a fluffy cloud.

And you think the world is more developed or human minds progressed more?

Is it not possible to have a long piece of rope with one end tie to a tree before you descend from the top? But if you are trying to climb up it would be more of a problem and higher risk of falling to your death. Those rocks are slippery when wet. No grip at all.

If you consult a Tarot Card gypsy before you climb, you may receive a card that says "Youthful Folly".