Bomb suspect handed over to Bangkok police

webfact

Bomb suspect handed over to Bangkok police
By The Nation

e071a719a86e17c9d8629a72db079b28.jpeg

Wattana Pummares

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Thai Army on Tuesday handed over to police a retired electrical engineer arrested for allegedly planting bombs at Phramongkutklao Hospital and other spots in Bangkok.

Wattana Pummares, 61, a former engineer at the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (Egat), was arrested last week under a junta order that empowers soldiers to detain suspects. 

National police chief General Chakthip Chaijinda and his deputy, Pol General Srivara Rangsibhramanakul, as the chief investigator, received the suspect from the Army at police headquarters.

After a police press conference, Wattana will be taken to reenact the crimes he allegedly committed in five locations. 

The five locations are his home in Ramindra where he allegedly composed the bombs, in front of the Major Ratchayothin Theatre where he allegedly planted the bomb in 2007, Phramongkutklao Hospital, the compound of Egat in Bang Kruai, Nonthaburi province where he allegedly parked his car with the bombs inside, and a shop in Bang Kruai where he allegedly bought materials used to make bombs.

Wattana will later be detained at the Crimes Suppression Division before further reenactments are staged.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30318599

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-20

Bangkok bomber says sorry
By The Nation

559b85a7a33223a64e75b14e29a18439.jpeg

Wattana Pummares (blue shirt)

BANGKOK: -- A retired electrical engineer suspected of being behind bomb attacks in Bangkok - including Phramongkutklao Hospital last month - has apologised to those affected by his crimes.

Wattana Pummares, 61, said that his intention was only to convey his frustration over the coup and the military taking over the premiership.

“I wish to express my regret and convey my apologies to those affected by my acts and particularly those injured,” he said in a press conference packed with journalists at the Royal Thai Police headquarters.

The press briefing was held after the military handed over Wattana to police. He was also charged with three cases relating to three bomb attacks in Bangkok this year. He insisted that he acted alone in all the attacks that could be dated back to 2007.

“I acted out of my frustration over the coup and the military’s participation in politics, not by political motivation. No politicians of any side were behind my activities,” he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30318601

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-20