Australian who fled accident scene and was chased by police hits and kills woman 50 in Udon

webfact

5 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Accidents can happen to sober people too, especially in Thailand. And death occurs often. 

Do you have any kids? If any of mine killed someone in a road accident, I wouldn't want them to go to jail  under any circumstances and would do all in my power to stop it, but that's just me.

Your talking generally about road accidents, but surely this is not in the same category as most.  In the UK it would surely be regarded as reckless driving, and this could be manslaughter.  This is like the son of a wealthy businessman who is on the run following a hit and run.  Nobody wants to see anyone in jail.  Of course, we still await the full facts.  If the alleged police shooting took place moments before the collision the charges may be much less serious.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Oh, I see, your culture is superior and you want Thailand to adopt it. Rather shitty attitude IMHO.

If I drive  home today and a hit a motorcyclist, killing them, I should automatically go to jail, even if it was their fault?

No of course not.  You shouldn't go to jail even if it was your fault, providing you are not under suspicion of homicide. But if you were fleeing or driving recklessly then it is a different matter.  The story so far points to serious crime being commited.

This guy gives us all a bad name, but it shows us also that foreigners are not total saints. Lots of bad apples here too maybe should keep that in mind the next time we start bashing Thais. 

This aint no secret, but an obvious fact (and was so, at least to me, for a long time)

:shock1:

7 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

You're welcome to your opinion but after watching news(real news) on TV for many years and reading the local newspapers and talking to people, I will stick to what I said. The law states 50,000 baht compensation and of course some tea money here and there.

There but for the Grace of God, go I....

Mmmm..... maybe strike three (hat trick)

Criminal code.... acts of negligence causing death... up to ten years incarceration.

this story seems to have an aspect of negligence involved, which will be up to the judge to decide.

7 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Please leave your own country's laws there.

You actually want foreigners to get different treatment by Thai authorities? Killing someone on the road is not, and quite rightly, not a jailable offence.

Guys ( n' gals)..... please please please do not leave your own countries laws there.

carry them always, if nothing more than a "rule of thumb" ( if you can't do it on the roads at home, you more than likely can't do it in Thailand).... if you know it's wrong, it's wrong

whilst on the road myself, I often lament the fact that some foreigners driving habits devolve to local "custom", which is usually illegal , and often more dangerous when done by a foreigner, not familiar with Thai roads etc

that said, what you should leave behind ( in your own country) , is any preconceived notion of consequences of actions and justice.

1 hour ago, Briggsy said:

According to the cop on the video there were 4 or 5 shots.

After the pickup had veered off the road, to stop him getting away. From the witness, it sounds like the pickup was coming down the road at speed and ploughed into the motorcycle.

The TV news said after they got him out he was asking the police to shoot him.

6 hours ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Accidents can happen to sober people too, especially in Thailand. And death occurs often. 

Do you have any kids? If any of mine killed someone in a road accident, I wouldn't want them to go to jail  under any circumstances and would do all in my power to stop it, but that's just me.

Do you read your posts?

You say... "do you have kids? If any of mine killed someone in a road accident, etc etc" (above quote)..... understandable I suppose.... perhaps indicative of a skewed social conscience, but understandable

But.... just for a moment, consider the opposite.... do you personally have kids, sir?.... if any of mine were killed in a road accident, I would want the perpetrator to suffer the full extent of the penalties allowed..... or more.

Dont know why peeps are arguing the toss the blokes a Total <deleted>!

If he's pi $$ ed then he deserves everything they give him and if he has a genuine mental illness which affects his ability to drive safely then he should not have been driving, so again his responsibility and he will pay the price (although will not be enough for what he is now responsible for) I D I O T!!!

26 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Guys ( n' gals)..... please please please do not leave your own countries laws there.

carry them always, if nothing more than a "rule of thumb" ( if you can't do it on the roads at home, you more than likely can't do it in Thailand).... if you know it's wrong, it's wrong

whilst on the road myself, I often lament the fact that some foreigners driving habits devolve to local "custom", which is usually illegal , and often more dangerous when done by a foreigner, not familiar with Thai roads etc

that said, what you should leave behind ( in your own country) , is any preconceived notion of consequences of actions and justice.

Good post and excellent advice. I drive a Mazda 3 (40,000 km in 18 months) and I ride a Vespa. I have become very accustomed to driving in Thailand now, without adopting some of their more risky strategies. I understand that millions of Thai families can only afford a scooter, and that this sometimes necessitates them riding 3 up, and I consequently make allowances for them and their safety. When I turn left from a small Soi onto a main dual carriageway, I know that my instinct to just look right towards the flow of traffic will prove insufficient; there will almost inevitably be a two wheeler of some description, or an old lady withe her “somtum" 3 wheeler toodling up the scooter lane in the wrong direction. I know they would be in the wrong, but that is not the point, it is what they do, so all farangs should acquaint themselves with how Thai people use the roads and act in accordance, it will make it safer for everyone.

On 21/06/2017 at 6:51 PM, milesinnz said:

I don't think this is correct reporting. My friend who lives very near there and whose brother is a Policeman in Udon said that he was fleeing, perhaps from the initial crash, and this road is very small, certainly not a road to speed down. She said the Police shot his tires out, and maybe this is when he crashed. Also she was told he was drunk.. she sent me some photos, not with his face blotted out, but for the life of me can't find them at the moment. She also said that the two in hospital had died.. I wonder if the real story will come out ? Who knows ?

"Mu neighbour...she said, she said....  maybe this and that.".. Christ thank god SHE being this woman is not in the jury as he faces the correct sentence.

Best post yet . I see so many foreigners on motorcycle [emoji965] riding like lunatic's , certainly if they drive like that at home , won't have a licence for long . Also DUI is not the fun past time it used to be . I purposely bought a condo in Pattaya on a Baht bus [emoji590] rout because I love a beer [emoji482], yes ever day . No drink driving . Cheap transport . How many of these people don't have proper licences . Your home country licence means nothing here without a IDL . Many people don't know . Really can lead to a world of hurt . Like the previous post said , drive or ride as you do at home . Stay safe in the LOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

57 minutes ago, Blinky62 said:

Best post yet . I see so many foreigners on motorcycle emoji965.png riding like lunatic's , certainly if they drive like that at home , won't have a licence for long . Also DUI is not the fun past time it used to be . I purposely bought a condo in Pattaya on a Baht bus emoji590.png rout because I love a beer emoji482.png, yes ever day . No drink driving . Cheap transport . How many of these people don't have proper licences . Your home country licence means nothing here without a IDL . Many people don't know . Really can lead to a world of hurt . Like the previous post said , drive or ride as you do at home . Stay safe in the LOS.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What is an IDL ?????

1 minute ago, Seismic said:

What is an IDL ?????

International drivers licence, which in fact is an IDP, International drivers permit. Nothing to stop you using your home country licence for 90 days, after that you are required to get a Thai licence.

International drivers licence, which in fact is an IDP, International drivers permit. Nothing to stop you using your home country licence for 90 days, after that you are required to get a Thai licence.

I think you will find if you have an accident without an IDP , you are in the deep . There are many different versions of the rules . But when it comes to insurance, there is only one . Believe what you want , but keep you wallet loaded . Rental companies and the like , will give you a car or bike , no problems , but when things go wrong everyone runs away . Then the hands come out . Few hundred thousand baht for a hospital stay no problem , plus the extras.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, farcanell said:

Do you read your posts?

You say... "do you have kids? If any of mine killed someone in a road accident, etc etc" (above quote)..... understandable I suppose.... perhaps indicative of a skewed social conscience, but understandable

But.... just for a moment, consider the opposite.... do you personally have kids, sir?.... if any of mine were killed in a road accident, I would want the perpetrator to suffer the full extent of the penalties allowed..... or more.

I put that scenario to him earlier (ID 269 page 18) asking if he would find meagre financial compensation a satisfactory outcome if one of his kids were, heaven forbid, to be such a victim, but he has not yet responded …….. I doubt that he will

So many posters defending the Aussie , I find it a bit strange.  Clearly this was an accident waiting to happen from a mental unstable driver. Unfit to drive in Thailand or anywhere else. 

5 hours ago, balo said:

So many posters defending the Aussie , I find it a bit strange.  Clearly this was an accident waiting to happen from a mental unstable driver. Unfit to drive in Thailand or anywhere else. 

Hopefully its from lack of information

Boycie had a post removed because it was taken from another forum, the info in that IF correct shows the drivers behavior

was indefensible on any level by anybody

Alcohol / Mental illness / both maybe,  more info needed

UPDATE:

Appeal for blood as student fights for his life after foreigner killed mother and son in Udon

11pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

UDON THANI: -- An appeal for blood has been made on Facebook for a 15 year old boy who remains in a critical condition in hospital in Udon Thani.

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/989135-appeal-for-blood-as-student-fights-for-his-life-after-foreigner-killed mother-and-son-in-udon/

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

Hopefully its from lack of information

Boycie had a post removed because it was taken from another forum, the info in that IF correct shows the drivers behavior

was indefensible on any level by anybody

Alcohol / Mental illness / both maybe,  more info needed

CCTV footage of the chain of events. Please be advised that some viewers may find the video distressing.

(Please note, the CCTV is taken from a distance and no close up shots are screened. I would not post the video if i thought it was too graphic.)  

https://m.facebook.com/groups/1472697206286519/permalink/2059747487581485/

24 minutes ago, Boycie said:

CCTV footage of the chain of events. Please be advised that some viewers may find the video distressing.

(Please note, the CCTV is taken from a distance and no close up shots are screened. I would not post the video if i thought it was too graphic.)  

He doesn't appear to be going that fast and is the motorbike on the wrong side of the road? Just had a closer look, the motorbike pulls out right in front of him.

15 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Absolutely horrendous, and the truly sickening aspect of this is, how he continues to drive for a short distance after his vehicle has come to a stop, with the poor victim trapped underneath and possibly still alive. One can only assume that he was trying to escape the scene of the carnage he had caused, showing no concern whatsoever for the victim …… only concern for himself being detained …….. my thoughts and condolences are with the poor victim’s family  ……..throw away the key ??

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Sickening display by the Aussie who tries to flee the scene AGAIN  . . . . ! ! !

I hope he gets all that's due to him.

Archived