Australian who fled accident scene and was chased by police hits and kills woman 50 in Udon

webfact

Just now, giddyup said:

Your intent and purpose, certainly no one else believes that.

So I met this guy with a permenent residence card, he's been working here for years....he was not an Aussie though, was from the UK.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ukrules said:

So I met this guy with a permenent residence card, he's been working here for years....he was not an Aussie though, was from the UK.

I already said that it's possible to become a Thai citizen if you satisfy some pretty stringent tests, but the number of Aussies who have managed to do that would be tiny in comparison to the numbers here.

10 minutes ago, Artisi said:

If as reported, a minor accident and then flees the scene resulting in a fatality and serious injury to 2 kids  - - no sympathy from this Aussie -  throw the book at him. 

Why flee a minor accident, a few wai's and a few hundred Bht would have sorted the problem. 

Doesn't make much sense unless the police were standing there at the side of the road when the intial accident happened and gave chase, this is not what happened according to the report. There were no police on hand as someone phoned them. The rest is mere rumour and I wouldn't believe any of it at this stage.

Someone's muddying the waters with this incident.

He may have had an accident earlier in the day, 1 hour before, 10 minutes before. I see nothing published that links the fatal incident to the other incident apart from some rumours posted here.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I already said that it's possible to become a Thai citizen if you satisfy some pretty stringent tests, but the number of Aussies who have managed to do that would be tiny in comparison to the numbers here.

Sure, this guy spoke pretty much perfect Thai and that I believe is one of the requirements.

So Australian immigrant in Thailand wipes out family after minor scrape.
20 years imprisonment is the only acceptable punishment

It isn't about time served time, it's all about the money.

The Red Bull heir paid about 2 million baht to the family not to have them pursue him in court. Seems about right because you haven't heard a word since, and know the ones letting him run free aren't settling for 2 million baht from a billionaire.

If you have money you don't serve time, it just cost money. Same as back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Exactly - this doesn't add up.

Is the minor incident in any way connected to this second incident ? I do question this.

How long before the second indident did the first incident happen ? Hours before ?

The article is written like he was fleeing from the police who miraculously turned up within seconds to be able to give chase but I have a feeling they only knew about this incident as his license plate number was familiar due to the earlier report.

In short - I don't believe a word of it.

Well, the bottom line is, there seems to be little doubt or dispute that this guy was in a head-on collision that left two of the people on the motorcycle dead. How exactly that occurred, I wouldn't rely on the account in the article as having a high probability of factual accuracy.

However, it also would seem to be true that the guy also was involved in some kind of prior property damage incident at some point earlier, and didn't stop for that. That detail, leaving aside any notion of a supposed police pursuit, certainly doesn't put this guy in a better position re the second/fatal incident.

But I would agree with your general guess that it's probably pretty unlikely that the BIB were right on this guy's tail in hot pursuit of when when the fatal crash occurred. It's possible, of course, but the BIB rarely seem to be that fast to respond to anything... so who knows.

Best I can say is, this guy doesn't appear to have been someone who ought to have been driving in his then-current condition, whatever that was.

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, the bottom line is, there seems to be little doubt or dispute that this guy was in a head-on collision that left two of the people on the motorcycle dead. How exactly that occurred, I wouldn't rely on the account in the article as having a high probability of factual accuracy.

However, it also would seem to be true that the guy also was involved in some kind of prior property damage incident at some point earlier, and didn't stop for that. That detail, leaving aside any notion of a supposed police pursuit, certainly doesn't put this guy in a better position re the second/fatal incident.

But I would agree with your general guess that it's probably pretty unlikely that the BIB were right on this guy's tail in hot pursuit of when when the fatal crash occurred. It's possible, of course, but the BIB rarely seem to be that fast to respond to anything... so who knows.

Best I can say is, this guy doesn't appear to have been someone who ought to have been driving in his then-current condition, whatever that was.

Hope you're not driving :)

I'm going to put all this bs down to the fact that many of those commenting probably mirror this clod - eg old, white male - and, on any other day, it could just as easily have been any one of them in a similar situation. This is why they try to pick apart the account of events to see if somehow, anyhow, it was just an unfortunate misunderstanding that's left two innocent people dead and a third in a coma.

Maybe they'll let him off with probation.

<deleted> off.

If this had been a Thai, you lot would be coming up with all kinds of theories and have the geezer swinging from a tree by his neck already. But here, because it's "one of our own", suddenly there's scope for clemency. Some suggest he'll be sweet if he coughs up a couple of mill but I think the guy should go down for a long, long time. He was driving like a complete <deleted> after what was a minor collision and his sentence should reflect the fact that two people (potentially three) have lost their lives as a result.

23 minutes ago, silent said:

Hope you're not driving :)

I'm not defending the guy or excusing what happened.

I started off my original post with the very clear statement:

"The article and events are bad, that's for sure."

Just saying, the details as laid out in the OP article may not be exactly accurate, as if often the case with media reports here, in terms of just how the final fatal collision occurred. [The article's notion that he was fleeing police would seem to be at odds with the separate statement in the article that he was heading for lunch at Central when the final crash occurred.]

To be fair, the guy's degree of real blame would depend on just exactly how that final collision occurred -- and the article provides very little real explanation of that. That's what actual accident investigations are supposed to resolve.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm not defending the guy or excusing what happened.

I started off my original post with the very clear statement:

"The article and events are bad, that's for sure."

Just saying, the details as laid out in the OP article may not be exactly accurate, as if often the case with media reports here, in terms of just how the final fatal collision occurred.

To be fair, the guy's degree of real blame would depend on just exactly how that final collision occurred -- and the article provides very little real explanation of that. That's what actual accident investigations are supposed to resolve.

Couldn't put it better myself. Somewhere beyond the confusion caused by gossip and speculation lies the truth. 

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

He killed the woman didn't he. How do you make that 3?

Wifey  has just informed me , the two young lads are both in coma . Helmets ?

The  scene of the incident is Lake Nong Bua ,  just past the Chinese temple ,

a quiet side road that runs parallel to the railway line .Shoot the tyres , Why 

Maybe the falang was thinking they were popping at him .

Reserve judgement , until the facts  are  clear .  live in hope . Los ??

Hang him High ....TVF has passed judgement , nuff said . RIP. 

All comments about him are absolutely right but just one point on the death and serious injuries, I've seen the other pics and again looks like all head injuries and looks like no-one is wearing a helmet. So like you said he deserves his fate but to add. would they of been so seriously hurt if they too had obeyed the law and wore helmets? It will make interesting reading to see what his defence makes of it.

2 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Substantial front damage to his truck from the bike collision.   Probably not going that slow.  The leaving two previous accidents certainly speaks of some mental or alcohol problem.  I wouldn't give great credence to the "going to lunch" story.

Liquid lunch?

8 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Ran off from a minor accident....what a horrible

person....hope they charge him with murder, sell

his 

truck, house and all his money in the Thai bank 

account He has to compensate the family.

How can you say such bad things, you don't know all the details, there's a lot more to this story. Don't be too quick to judge. You may be in a simala position one day.

2 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

I'm going to put all this bs down to the fact that many of those commenting probably mirror this clod - eg old, white male - and, on any other day, it could just as easily have been any one of them in a similar situation. This is why they try to pick apart the account of events to see if somehow, anyhow, it was just an unfortunate misunderstanding that's left two innocent people dead and a third in a coma.

Maybe they'll let him off with probation.

<deleted> off.

If this had been a Thai, you lot would be coming up with all kinds of theories and have the geezer swinging from a tree by his neck already. But here, because it's "one of our own", suddenly there's scope for clemency. Some suggest he'll be sweet if he coughs up a couple of mill but I think the guy should go down for a long, long time. He was driving like a complete <deleted> after what was a minor collision and his sentence should reflect the fact that two people (potentially three) have lost their lives as a result.

Mate I reckon you are spot on here. I think there would plenty here, especially Aussies, that drink everyday and then jump in their car or on their bike. Some of those would also happily flout the speeding laws whilst intoxicated. Out of that lot there would be some that have heard the rumour and thus believe you never stay at the site of an accident in Thailand and so would then do a runner. Bloody Disgraceful and then as you say will try to find some mitigating circumstance such as they should have been wearing helmets. Some on here have even tried to say that because he may have a mental illness to consider that. Well if he does why the <deleted> is driving around in his car pissed? Today I am almost ashamed to be Australian because of this colossal fyckwit.  RIP to those that have passed.

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

This moron idiot now is going to give all us foreigners driving cars

a bad name

Utter rubbish.

14 hours ago, robblok said:

This guy gives us all a bad name

Again, utter rubbish.

13 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

now wait a moment.  three people on the motorbike?  Easy to control and handle and drive?  Not.  Who was in what lane?

Control of a motorcycle would be highly impeded by having 3 persons sat on it, also the seating position of the dead rider would no doubt have played a major part in her death.

12 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

He never stopped he is 100% responsible.

All not stopping makes him 100% responsible for is not stopping.

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

He's killed someone due to reckless driving.

There is no part of the article that I read which suggests he was driving recklessly, do you have a link to where you have gleaned this information from?

For all anyone knows from this report he could have been stationary in his own lane and the motorcycle being driven illegally with 3 persons aboard crashed straight in to him. You know no more if the rider of the motorcycle was checking her mobile phone than the farang driver was driving recklessly.

There is a lot of information needed before blame starts to be thrown around against either side, though we do know from the report that the motorcycle was being illegally driven, and in direct conflict to the manufacturers guidelines.

3 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

Utter rubbish.

Again, utter rubbish.

Control of a motorcycle would be highly impeded by having 3 persons sat on it, also the seating position of the dead rider would no doubt have played a major part in her death.

All not stopping makes him 100% responsible for is not stopping.

There is no part of the article that I read which suggests he was driving recklessly, do you have a link to where you have gleaned this information from?

For all anyone knows from this report he could have been stationary in his own lane and the motorcycle being driven illegally with 3 persons aboard crashed straight in to him. You know no more if the rider of the motorcycle was checking her mobile phone than the farang driver was driving recklessly.

There is a lot of information needed before blame starts to be thrown around against either side, though we do know from the report that the motorcycle was being illegally driven, and in direct conflict to the manufacturers guidelines.

Did you bother to read the part where it says he collided with the motorbike? 

Nah, too busy defending this man, eh.

9 hours ago, little mary sunshine said:

Ran off from a minor accident....what a horrible

person....hope they charge him with murder, sell

his 

truck, house and all his money in the Thai bank 

account He has to compensate the family.

That would be the right thing...of course the police would take their 90% cut first.

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Nah, too busy defending this man, eh.

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Here you go

Ah look, you have edited your quote from saying;

Did you bother to read the part where it says he ran in to the back of her motorbike? 

to

The article actually says that it was a head on collision, this could easily be on his side of the road, you don't know.

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Here you go

I'm not sure what your comment and referring to that sentence from the article is supposed to mean...

Yes, they had a head-on collision. But who was driving in what lane? And who presumably was driving in the wrong direction lane?

The OP article doesn't address that.

Archived