Australian who fled accident scene and was chased by police hits and kills woman 50 in Udon

webfact

20 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

Ah look, you have edited your quote from saying;

to

The article actually says that it was a head on collision, this could easily be on his side of the road, you don't know.

Did you read the bit of my quote saying where the bike ended up. 

He killed her. 

He had earlier been involved in an accident he fled from. 

He was driving in a reckless manner. 

Gaol him. 

Edit 

Another article in this thread says one of the children has also died. 

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I'm not sure what your comment and referring to that sentence from the article is supposed to mean...

Yes, they had a head-on collision. But who was driving in what lane? And who presumably was driving in the wrong direction lane?

The OP article doesn't address that.

My quote wasn't aimed at your post but rather the one prior to it. 

7 hours ago, milesinnz said:

I don't think this is correct reporting. My friend who lives very near there and whose brother is a Policeman in Udon said that he was fleeing, perhaps from the initial crash, and this road is very small, certainly not a road to speed down. She said the Police shot his tires out, and maybe this is when he crashed. Also she was told he was drunk.. she sent me some photos, not with his face blotted out, but for the life of me can't find them at the moment. She also said that the two in hospital had died.. I wonder if the real story will come out ? Who knows ?

'Police shot his tires out'

Screenshot_2017-06-21-23-42-12.thumb.png.18f1ec0a4ccbf52c99d671f9347f5ca2.pngScreenshot_2017-06-21-23-42-31.thumb.png.747c72284e869e609ace4b1b36adc436.pngScreenshot_2017-06-21-23-42-41.thumb.png.c596974c5c2f7d4157488b21bfd75c4a.pngScreenshot_2017-06-21-23-40-40.thumb.png.75f803dc0e2ba883e9c035dcf8bb6ee2.png

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

If he is we might have to wait awhile to hear what actually happened straight from the horses mouth

Maybe after spending some time in Thailand, he actually start believing he is 1 of the natives already.

2 hours ago, gemguy said:

Ha Ha...once again we can count on the Australians for some raucous entertainment.

Sadly I dont think the families of the victims find it very entertaining. I reckon they wish this gentleman had stayed in his home country. 

Sorry to ruin your laughs with my comment. 

3 minutes ago, Boycie said:

'Police shot his tires out'

If this is true then a huge portion of the responsibility for the death must be levelled directly with the police, why would they start shooting tires out on a vehicle for a minor traffic violation when it is obvious to any buffoon that doing so would endanger the public, and gain little.

Of course there are other factors to look at, such as was she wearing a crash helmet as required by law? was she breaking the law carrying more than one passenger and thus not in full control of the bike? were the passengers wearing crash helmets? was she in her correct lane? Had she been drinking during the day? Did she hold a current licence, insurance and tax for the vehicle being driven? All the same questions need to be asked about the driver of the car, except of course the ones about crash helmets and passengers.

More information needed.

What the hell goes on here ? You admit to having some pills , feel drowsy don't drive . Sounds like he was pissed , that's a big risk when your not in your home country. Do a runner from an accident , you don't do back home . Police chase , <deleted> stop . Guns shooting stop . It's a mandatory jail time back home now for high speed chase . What planet was he on . So many chances , what a mess. No body wins . Two family's shattered. I was no angel when I was young . But when in a foreign country don't test your luck . Sadly for him he is nearly as famous as the lady killers .

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

8 hours ago, elliss said:

Would  a  Thai have stopped ,  after  a minor trafic incident . nope

Would  a farlang  have stopped , after a minor trafic incident ,unlikely .

Would you have stopped ?  

Yes.... unequivocally 

I think if you speak English well enough to post on this site means you come from some sort of law full society. Yes of course you stop . You play a very dangerous game thinking you can do the same as the locals . Don't drink and drive don't run from the coppers . And get a licence . All a of which you do in your home country . Like I said you can play up in your home country , but overseas dangerous game.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

If the police shot his tyres just before this incident then maybe it's possible that he lost control due to his tyres rapid deflation ?

Wouldn't that be something that causes an accident which would otherwise not have happened ?

16 hours ago, robblok said:

That totally depends on what kind of guy you are.. on that values money over life or not. 

I certainly would not want to be in his shoes. Seems not only Thais use the mental illness excuse. 

This guy gives us all a bad name, but it shows us also that foreigners are not total saints. Lots of bad apples here too maybe should keep that in mind the next time we start bashing Thais. You read it quite often about a Thai doing a runner but I have read now more then enough times about foreigners doing the same, even though there are far less of us.

When Thais do it they get hung out here, when a foreigner does it there will always be those defending him / her on here. 

people generally are more likely to do a runner in thailand because we all know the police are inefficient, lazy and unprofessional so the chances of getting away with a crime by doing a runner are high and that's why so many people hit and run. oh, and because there is a cultural avoidance of taking responsibility fr your actions in thailand.

Well now that it seems obvious that the police shot his tires, we really need to know the details leading up to that event. Did he just do a runner after the initial fender bender and the police gave chase immediately? Unlikely but possible. Or was there something else going on that made the man flee? A crowd turned ugly perhaps? Did someone have a weapon? So much we don't know. Obviously the guy is at fault for something, but how much of this was escalated by others?  There is a reason people flee accident scenes here.

According to my sources , he was coming out of the Central multi-storey car-park and in doing so hit another vehicle, he then panicked and left the scene, up to that point he had only had a minor accident.

In fleeing this scene he while driving along a road which had a particurlarly sharp turn he collided with this motorcycle. The Governors statement stated that this woman nor her son or the other child were wearing any helmets ( not that, that would have saved her ) . The fate of the other boy was not mentioned.

RIP to the deceased, but in reality , he might be suffering from a mental illness and although everyone is up in arms, a good lawyer will make the fact that 3 people on a motorbike is illegal and hopefully the mother has all the necessary documentation regarding the motorcycle. I have also #been informed the Foreigner is fully legal. 

It will be hard for the foreigner , but as we all know the courts will find according to the law and the arguments of the lawyers, not the hang them high knee jerk reactions of the public.

31 minutes ago, Khun Paul said:

According to my sources , he was coming out of the Central multi-storey car-park and in doing so hit another vehicle, he then panicked and left the scene, up to that point he had only had a minor accident.

In fleeing this scene he while driving along a road which had a particurlarly sharp turn he collided with this motorcycle. The Governors statement stated that this woman nor her son or the other child were wearing any helmets ( not that, that would have saved her ) . The fate of the other boy was not mentioned.

RIP to the deceased, but in reality , he might be suffering from a mental illness and although everyone is up in arms, a good lawyer will make the fact that 3 people on a motorbike is illegal and hopefully the mother has all the necessary documentation regarding the motorcycle. I have also #been informed the Foreigner is fully legal. 

It will be hard for the foreigner , but as we all know the courts will find according to the law and the arguments of the lawyers, not the hang them high knee jerk reactions of the public.

Your version doesn't leave much time for the police to get involved, determine a course of action and shoot out his tires.

6 hours ago, farcanell said:

Yes.... unequivocally 

Stopping after a minnor accident in our own countries is a given, here I'm not so sure cos as we all know even if it's not your fault you know  the thais are going to screw you for as much money as possible.we all know the Thais do a runner so until it happens to you maybe you may not be so quick to stop.

7 hours ago, Moonmoon said:

Maybe after spending some time in Thailand, he actually start believing he is 1 of the natives already.

It would certainly improve his outlook, if he was especially if he was well endowed with coin

5 hours ago, ukrules said:

If the police shot his tyres just before this incident then maybe it's possible that he lost control due to his tyres rapid deflation ?

Wouldn't that be something that causes an accident which would otherwise not have happened ?

I dont suppose it would have improved the vehicles handling characteristics to any great extent

The answer to your question is yes it could / might have been a contributing factor to this incident, amongst others of course

2 minutes ago, catman20 said:

Stopping after a minnor accident in our own countries is a given, here I'm not so sure cos as we all know even if it's not your fault you know  the thais are going to screw you for as much money as possible.we all know the Thais do a runner so until it happens to you maybe you may not be so quick to stop.

They can have as much money as the insurance policy will give them, which is substantially more than what I could be extorted for... and I'm happy with that.

whilst not actually having had an accident of note, in my years here, I have helped in  the aftermath of an accident, on three occasions, and even though I have read the advice on these pages (suggesting that this is a bad idea), I would not hesitate to do it again

i do understand the issues involved, but helping others, especially if hurt by my hand, is important as well (that said, a major demotivator might be personal safety in a crowd situation, but if fleeing was nessesary, it would be to a police station to accept responsibility)

8 minutes ago, farcanell said:

They can have as much money as the insurance policy will give them, which is substantially more than what I could be extorted for... and I'm happy with that.

whilst not actually having had an accident of note, in my years here, I have helped in  the aftermath of an accident, on three occasions, and even though I have read the advice on these pages (suggesting that this is a bad idea), I would not hesitate to do it again

i do understand the issues involved, but helping others, especially if hurt by my hand, is important as well (that said, a major demotivator might be personal safety in a crowd situation, but if fleeing was nessesary, it would be to a police station to accept responsibility)

Ah welcome back the voice of reason , you have been away for so long and greatly missed

Archived