Australian who fled accident scene and was chased by police hits and kills woman 50 in Udon

webfact

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, RobFord said:

A friend who worked here 20 plus years ago was told by his company that if he was in an accident to leave the scene and contact the company lawyers. The point was that if the police had you, you were truly screwed.

I don't think much has changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I've worked here over 20 years and absolutely agree. Leave the scene of the crime. Sure, you'll get the newbies here telling you about their country and forgetting that Thai culture/law is different.

Actually it not when the police get you it when it get's to the station the fine become much bigger, and when it gets to court, you're <deleted>.

Accidents happen here, and there are correct channels for dealing with them. I've found all police very reasonable as soon as they find out I'm not a clueless tourist or retiree that needs their missus to speak for them.

5 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I've worked here over 20 years and absolutely agree. Leave the scene of the crime. Sure, you'll get the newbies here telling you about their country and forgetting that Thai culture/law is different.

Actually it not when the police get you it when it get's to the station the fine become much bigger, and when it gets to court, you're f***d.

Accidents happen here, and there are correct channels for dealing with them. I've found all police very reasonable as soon as they find out I'm not a clueless tourist or retiree that needs their missus to speak for them.

I also have found most often, nit just police, but Thais in general, will treat you very differently once they know you can speak Thai at least enough to have a decent conversation. It has so many benefits and this is one of them, dealing with matters such as accidents. It's as if that wall between 'clueless idiot farang' and Thai breaks down a little bit, and they see you as a human being lol

3 minutes ago, JustNo said:

I also have found most often, nit just police, but Thais in general, will treat you very differently once they know you can speak Thai at least enough to have a decent conversation. It has so many benefits and this is one of them, dealing with matters such as accidents. It's as if that wall between 'clueless idiot farang' and Thai breaks down a little bit, and they see you as a human being lol

Sadly that wall will remain with 95% of the lazy ones.  One idiot cop at the weekend looked inot my car and started speaking to my 15 year old daughter until I gave him a piece of my mind. 

1 hour ago, Khun Paul said:

According to my sources , he was coming out of the Central multi-storey car-park and in doing so hit another vehicle, he then panicked and left the scene, up to that point he had only had a minor accident.

In fleeing this scene he while driving along a road which had a particurlarly sharp turn he collided with this motorcycle. The Governors statement stated that this woman nor her son or the other child were wearing any helmets ( not that, that would have saved her ) . The fate of the other boy was not mentioned.

RIP to the deceased, but in reality , he might be suffering from a mental illness and although everyone is up in arms, a good lawyer will make the fact that 3 people on a motorbike is illegal and hopefully the mother has all the necessary documentation regarding the motorcycle. I have also #been informed the Foreigner is fully legal. 

It will be hard for the foreigner , but as we all know the courts will find according to the law and the arguments of the lawyers, not the hang them high knee jerk reactions of the public.

Assuming this is correct, then it appears he is the sole instigator of the accident, in that the fact that the motorcyclist was not wearing any protective gear hardly had any relevance to how the incident was caused.  Having 3 on the bike is to an extent equally irrelevant.  Or to put it another way, even had she been compliant of the law, she would still have been hit.

Quite what the charge will be I don't know, but I'm sure he'll be in clink for a very long time.  If Australia has some reciprocal agreement with Thailand, as the US does, then after a few years he'll be able to serve the rest of his time in his home land.

Like I say: assuming this account is correct.

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Assuming this is correct, then it appears he is the sole instigator of the accident, in that the fact that the motorcyclist was not wearing any protective gear hardly had any relevance to how the incident was caused.  Having 3 on the bike is to an extent equally irrelevant.  Or to put it another way, even had she been compliant of the law, she would still have been hit.

Quite what the charge will be I don't know, but I'm sure he'll be in clink for a very long time.  If Australia has some reciprocal agreement with Thailand, as the US does, then after a few years he'll be able to serve the rest of his time in his home land.

Like I say: assuming this account is correct.

He will do NO jail time, unless he is penniless. being a foreigner has nothing to do with the consequences here.  Being a gullible fool, however.....

1 hour ago, oldlakey said:

I dont suppose it would have improved the vehicles handling characteristics to any great extent

The answer to your question is yes it could / might have been a contributing factor to this incident, amongst others of course

It must be a factor.  Then again, would they have done it if he was not already posing a significant risk?  You never know where Thailand is concerned.

8 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Did you read the bit of my quote saying where the bike ended up. 

He killed her. 

He had earlier been involved in an accident he fled from. 

He was driving in a reckless manner. 

Gaol him. 

Edit 

Another article in this thread says one of the children has also died. 

Please leave your own country's laws there.

You actually want foreigners to get different treatment by Thai authorities? Killing someone on the road is not, and quite rightly, not a jailable offence.

2 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

He will do NO jail time, unless he is penniless. being a foreigner has nothing to do with the consequences here. 

Quite honestly, having been here a long time and having known a couple of people who have seen the inside of Thai chokey, I think you're wrong there.  If he has a few bob that could be a factor in duration.

2 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

You actually want foreigners to get different treatment by Thai authorities? Killing someone on the road is not, and quite rightly, not a jailable offence.

Eh! I think you're wrong on this one too.

One more will be the hat-trick. :smile:

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

Eh! I think you're wrong on this one too.

You're welcome to your opinion but after watching news(real news) on TV for many years and reading the local newspapers and talking to people, I will stick to what I said. The law states 50,000 baht compensation and of course some tea money here and there.

There but for the Grace of God, go I....

23 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

You actually believe that it is quite right and somehow justifiable that if you are culpable of killing someone on the road, it does not deserve a jail sentence ......... really ?? ........ how sad 

1 minute ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

You actually believe that it is quite right and somehow justifiable that if you are culpable of killing someone on the road, it does not deserve a jail sentence ......... really ?? ........ how sad 

I hope you never are in an accident. Would you volunteer for jail if the judge imposed only a fine?

Maybe you are superhuman and not capable of having an accident. Or do you mean fleeing the scene deserves jail time?

Well, they've got him now, and presumably he will be charged with the same set of offences that the Red Bull scum (I hate both him and his family for a total lack of remorse) hasn't yet faced for a similar incident involving the death of a policeman. Unless Aussie's got plenty of dosh to pay the grieving family, he'll be spending a long time in prison reflecting on his stupidity. 

A clear warning that could have happened to anyone who drinks or takes drugs/medication that impairs driving - next time it could be you.

4 minutes ago, stephenterry said:

Well, they've got him now, and presumably he will be charged with the same set of offences that the Red Bull scum (I hate both him and his family for a total lack of remorse) hasn't yet faced for a similar incident involving the death of a policeman. Unless Aussie's got plenty of dosh to pay the grieving family, he'll be spending a long time in prison reflecting on his stupidity. 

A clear warning that could have happened to anyone who drinks or takes drugs/medication that impairs driving - next time it could be you.

Accidents can happen to sober people too, especially in Thailand. And death occurs often. 

Do you have any kids? If any of mine killed someone in a road accident, I wouldn't want them to go to jail  under any circumstances and would do all in my power to stop it, but that's just me.

14 hours ago, jenifer d said:

sorry, not the police's fault WHATSOEVER

there is NO possible excuse to absolve this misbegotten murderer from perditition in prison 

Wouldn't have happened if they did blow out tyres.Why do the police be so dramatic.Surely they could have just followed him home,they have his rego number.

1 minute ago, louse1953 said:

Wouldn't have happened if they did blow out tyres.Why do the police be so dramatic.Surely they could have just followed him home,they have his rego number.

22 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

I hope you never are in an accident. Would you volunteer for jail if the judge imposed only a fine?

Maybe you are superhuman and not capable of having an accident. Or do you mean fleeing the scene deserves jail time?

......... I don't understand your response, I was merely questioning your code of ethics, one by which you deem a custodial sentence to be completely wrong for someone culpable of killing another human ✌️??

14 hours ago, jenifer d said:

3 people on a m/c might be illegal, but even more illegal is fleeing the scene of an accident

then committing manslaughter by having another accident...

i see 3, 4, even 5 people on a m/c daily; i've done it both as driver and passenger, too often to count;

it's just what is done here

that said, would sure like to see REAL justice in the case of a certain energy drink scion who murdered a cop with his car

Just because "it is what is done here"no way absoves the the bike rider from negligence,dead or not.And why do you do it.

1 minute ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Accidents can happen to sober people too, especially in Thailand. And death occurs often. 

Do you have any kids? If any of mine killed someone in a road accident, I wouldn't want them to go to jail  under any circumstances and would do all in my power to stop it, but that's just me.

In my case, it would depend on the circumstances. In the Red Bull case, the scum has not taken any responsibility for his actions or shown any remorse, and if I was his parent, I'd drag him into court - albeit pay for his defence. What happens after that, is up to the judge. 

He was following the "When in Rome" rule.

3 on a motorbike, 2 survived. How many helmets? I'd guess zero.

RIP to the lady but lets remember with a less passengers on the bike she might have been able to avoid being hit.

20 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

Nobody wants to have a road accident, but what if, heaven forbid, one of your kids was killed on the road by someone driving dangerously or under the influence of alcohol or drugs; would you not want that person to serve a considerable custodial sentence, or would financial compensation satisfy you ??

9 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

......... I don't understand your response, I was merely questioning your code of ethics, one by which you deem a custodial sentence to be completely wrong for someone culpable of killing another human ✌️??

My code of ethics, get outa here.

I wasn't giving my opinion but stating the facts.

Don't put words in my mouth.

13 hours ago, Thai Ron said:

I do but just because they haven't been granted indefinite leave to remain, to all intents and purposes, they can remain here for good with endless extensions of stay.

They've moved here for economic reasons - sound like immigrants/migrants to me

Nearly all of us are Non immigrants,simple as that.

5 minutes ago, MrPatrickThai said:

My code of ethics, get outa here.

I wasn't giving my opinion but stating the facts.

Don't put words in my mouth.

You said  …… “Killing someone on the road is not, and quite rightly, not a jailable offence” …. sounds very much like an opinion to me, an opinion that you are free to retract if it was said in haste ??

Archived