Australian who fled accident scene and was chased by police hits and kills woman 50 in Udon

webfact

4 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

It would be ironic if it is his page cosidering his personal statement, part of which I have quoted below. ?

"I also excel at finding innovative solutions to complex problems. This is not only referring to the analytical way that I address regular issues that come up frequently, but also the cool head that I use to handle emergency situations calmly and with great focus on lowering risk and fixing the problem rapidly."

Well he was quoted as saying "shoot me now",  cant get any more rapid a solution than that.

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Assuming it's one and the same person 

Lots of jumping to unsubstantiated conclusions throughout this entire thread not just this particular case. 

42 minutes ago, Laab Muu said:

It would be ironic if it is his page cosidering his personal statement, part of which I have quoted below. ?

"I also excel at finding innovative solutions to complex problems. This is not only referring to the analytical way that I address regular issues that come up frequently, but also the cool head that I use to handle emergency situations calmly and with great focus on lowering risk and fixing the problem rapidly."

"but also the cool head that I use to handle emergency situations calmly and with great focus on lowering risk and fixing the problem rapidly."

Cool head!!!!!

3 hours ago, JustNo said:

Karma isn't mystical, it isn't an entity or 'punishment / reward' - it is simply cause and effect through a conscious decision. if you have a negative cause or action, you will most likely end up with a negative outcome, be it gross or subtle. And it doesn't have to be a physical outcome, you may be left with negative thoughts which will impact your emotion and state of mind. It's pretty simple.

I've learnt something here. I looked up Karma and it seems attached to Buddha in some way. Gone 60 odd years without thinking or even knowing about it.

6 hours ago, owl sees all said:

This Karma stuff does not seem simple to me!

He was driving recklessly and she was driving without due care and consideration for herself and her passengers' safety.

End result?! A tragedy!!

Therein lies the difference between the philosophy of the east & west. The 3 killed have hopefully attained 'moksha' or been liberated from the endless cycle of birth & death. The Aussie will spend the rest of this life in misery, then die to be born again. No liberation for him till he makes enough merit! Simple?

Just now, saakura said:

Therein lies the difference between the philosophy of the east & west. The 3 killed have hopefully attained 'moksha' or been liberated from the endless cycle of birth & death. The Aussie will spend the rest of this life in misery, then die to be born again. No liberation for him till he makes enough merit! Simple?

Many thanks for clearing that up for me but is this a life after death thing?

6 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

All your statement does is highlight some peoples refusal to take on personal responsibility and their need to always be a victim. People make their own choices, and people then need to take responsibility for the results of those choices. Having a forum mostly inhabited by foreign residents and visitors intent on excusing locals of taking responsibility for their actions is a curious thing, and screams of people wanting to be 'accepted' at any cost, even if that cost is throwing all logic out of the window. Imagine if this had happened in your home town, in your home country. What would be the reaction? 

With respect, asking what the reaction would be if it had happened in someone's own home town or country is completely irrelevant. The point in question is whether or not foreigners living in Thailand are willing to accept / understand / tolerate the culture of road use and driving here in Thailand.

Comparisons to other countries are futile, the laws governing driving in Thailand are not very different to those governing driving in, for example, the UK; the clear disparity is that in Thailand the laws are rarely enforced.

When I first came here 5 years ago, I was initially frustrated, even irritated, by the culture of driving and riding. I soon realised however, that when the laws are not enforced, a status quo of ignoring them, even forgetting they exist, inevitably develops. 

It quickly became apparent to me, that understanding and accepting this status quo without adopting any of the risk laden manoeuvres, was the best and safest way to drive, both for myself and other road users. This has nothing to do with screaming to be accepted at any cost, or discarding any logic; aux contraire, it is the very essence of embracing logic. So please don't assume that everyone that chooses to accept and tolerate the way of driving here does so for a reason to suit your rather arrogant narrative ..... PEACE ✌️✌️ ?? ?

P.S. .... millions and millions of families in Thailand cannot afford a car, many struggle to even afford  a small motorcycle, which then becomes the mode of transport for the whole family ...... they don't have the same freedom to make the choices that you and I are lucky enough to enjoy ..... try to remember where you are

24 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

With respect, asking what the reaction would be if it had happened in someone's own home town or country is completely irrelevant. The point in question is whether or not foreigners living in Thailand are willing to accept / understand / tolerate the culture of road use and driving here in Thailand.

Comparisons to other countries are futile, the laws governing driving in Thailand are not very different to those governing driving in, for example, the UK; the clear disparity is that in Thailand the laws are rarely enforced.

When I first came here 5 years ago, I was initially frustrated, even irritated, by the culture of driving and riding. I soon realised however, that when the laws are not enforced, a status quo of ignoring them, even forgetting they exist, inevitably develops. 

It quickly became apparent to me, that understanding and accepting this status quo without adopting any of the risk laden manoeuvres, was the best and safest way to drive, both for myself and other road users. This has nothing to do with screaming to be accepted at any cost, or discarding any logic; aux contraire, it is the very essence of embracing logic. So please don't assume that everyone that chooses to accept and tolerate the way of driving here does so for a reason to suit your rather arrogant narrative ..... PEACE ✌️✌️ ?? ?

P.S. .... millions and millions of families in Thailand cannot afford a car, many struggle to even afford  a small motorcycle, which then becomes the mode of transport for the whole family ...... they don't have the same freedom to make the choices that you and I are lucky enough to enjoy ..... try to remember where you are

What a load of pointless twaddle.

6 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

articulate …… but great to see that you’ve finally turned on your spell check ✌️?

It's hard to handle typo's when you're poking with two thumbs and trying to manage a steering wheel at the same time...

5 hours ago, anto said:

Another Forum they gave McGregor  and somebody else did say McGarry .I have never heard the name McGarry but McGregor is quite common ,so i go for McGregor ,as most likely to be correct .

Mcgarry is of Irish descent, not too common but also not unknown

4 hours ago, bannork said:

This is not your home town or home country, we're not in Kansas now, We're in Thailand where industrialization arrived at breakneck speed.

The rapid growth, boom, of the Thai economy in the 1980s and 90s meant millions of people purchased motorbikes and now pick-ups without any driving instruction. They just learnt on the road, the result of which is a high accident rate but also an unwritten code where people get used to motorbikes, carts going against the traffic, pulling across , cutting in front.

Unfortunately on that day the lady and her son and nephew on the motorbike came across an idiot  in a pick-up driving way too fast in an attempt to avoid getting caught for his previous collisions. She probably saw him out of the corner of her eye but didn't register the speed he was going at on that stretch of the road. that was her fatal error.

Oh my word what a post, all that remains is for me to say its about time they learned the error of their ways

Slow learners is not in it

3 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Oh my word what a post, all that remains is for me to say its about time they learned the error of their ways

Slow learners is not in it

They don't see it as errors. Police don't catch violators of the motoring laws so where are the errors? 

7 minutes ago, bannork said:

They don't see it as errors. Police don't catch violators of the motoring laws so where are the errors? 

Yes you are correct, errors just does not hack it, criminal negligence is more appropiate

4 hours ago, NanLaew said:

But the picture on the LinkedIn page isn't close to what we see of him in the post-accident pictures.

Maybe he hadn't updated it for a while.

Driving Licence pictured in the Thai Press (minus the blurring) when reporting the accident last week.

59527ee33bb85_PointBlur_Jun272017_223936.jpg.9793dafc68979550b51ebf13c735e23b.jpg

32 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Mcgarry is of Irish descent, not too common but also not unknown

I just looked up the Linkedin page for Joel Niven McGarry .The photo is definitely a younger version of him ,and it points to connections with Mukdahan ,Thailand ,which is only about 200 kl from Udon City .

4 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Driving Licence pictured in the Thai Press (minus the blurring) when reporting the accident last week.

59527ee33bb85_PointBlur_Jun272017_223936.jpg.9793dafc68979550b51ebf13c735e23b.jpg

That would put his age at 66 ,which looks about right .

8 hours ago, anto said:

That would put his age at 66 ,which looks about right .

Why would that put his age at 66?

He is 54 years old. The press reported that he is 55, but his birthday is later this year.

It quickly became apparent to me, that understanding and accepting this status quo without adopting any of the risk laden manoeuvres, was the best and safest way to drive, both for myself and other road users. This has nothing to do with screaming to be accepted at any cost, or discarding any logic; aux contraire, it is the very essence of embracing logic. So please don't assume that everyone that chooses to accept and tolerate the way of driving here does so for a reason to suit your rather arrogant narrative ..... PEACE [emoji111]️[emoji111]️ [emoji120][emoji120] [emoji41]

Yep and you will end up the same . Dead or in jail with a attitude like that . Just because the locals want to go straight through red light , wrong way up one way street , flying up the inside , does not mean you need to drive the same way . Not everyone drives like an idiot here. You sound like an educated person , so you should drive like one.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Did I miss something, because his DOB is obviously blurred out on this photo of his licence ??

I see his DOB before i blurred out some details on his driving licence and posted here.

I just wanted to certify his correct name in a post i made earlier in the thread.

I hope this clears any confusion and were not going to have an extra 45 pages of dispute about his name, if he had an IDL-IDP/Thai licence, his age etc :whistling:

1 minute ago, Blinky62 said:

Yep and you will end up the same . Dead or in jail with a attitude like that . Just because the locals want to go straight through red light , wrong way up one way street , flying up the inside , does not mean you need to drive the same way . Not everyone drives like an idiot here. You sound like an educated person , so you should drive like one.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You know, there is a lot to be said for how stupidly rigid the rules are in the U.K.

My father once got prosecuted for creeping through a red light at 3 A.M. on his way home. There was no traffic, and a very clear view in all directions. The 'judges' all said 'so why not just wait, is it so hard' and the other people, the kind you hate, said 'what was the harm in making a valued judgement in a unique circumstance'?

The fact is that, with most rules being 'flexible' in this country, we should be evaluating at all times whether it is better to follow the rule or not. Sometimes it's a question of safety, and other times it's convenience. Both are valid reasons. We use motor vehicles to make progress.

Failing to make progress is a fail in the U.K. driving test.

It is only in a very few extreme cases that people end up dead or in jail. I'm making this point because on my way to one appointment I have twice weekly at the Airport, I go through a red light. I either go through the middle lane on green, or filter the left lane on red (though there's no sign allowing this). There are also a few other T junctions I know where it's safe to filter the red light when traffic isn't coming in from the junction.

Sometimes it's perfectly safe to regard the red light as a warning light and proceed with extreme caution.

Likewise, if you fill up at the Esso garage 100m from Megabangna (and about 12 lanes between you and TEsco on the opposite side of the road/bangna-trad highway) then you can either 1. Join the crazy dangerous traffic which is getting tangled up with merges for the next 2-3km before going over a really crazy crowded u-turn bridge where cars try to decide between 1 or 2 lanes before coming down the other side and battling through busses pulling out and cars trying to turn into Tesco from the third lane....

Or you can U-turn and ride 100 metres up the right side of the road - again using extreme caution if any cars are travelling in the first couple of lanes.

If you drove here more than a year and you did not understand that the left side of the road, the left one or two lanes on multi-lane roads, are not 'slow' lanes, they are regarded as not much more than parking and turning areas (cars should drive as close to the centre of the road as possible which creates the dilemma of bikes having nowhere to overtake except the inside in many cases).

You sound a lot like an American teacher that reversed her 4x4 into my GSX-R and cursed me for stopping behind her 'you wouldn't do that back home now would you?' she said. I told her 'I don't know about YOUR home, but we learn to use our brains and eyes when we drive'.

Your statement shows clearly that you don't understand much. So you drive like an idiot British driver, or a moronic US driver. We'll use our intelligence and adapt.

7 minutes ago, ben2talk said:

You know, there is a lot to be said for how stupidly rigid the rules are in the U.K.

My father once got prosecuted for creeping through a red light at 3 A.M. on his way home. There was no traffic, and a very clear view in all directions. The 'judges' all said 'so why not just wait, is it so hard' and the other people, the kind you hate, said 'what was the harm in making a valued judgement in a unique circumstance'?

The fact is that, with most rules being 'flexible' in this country, we should be evaluating at all times whether it is better to follow the rule or not. Sometimes it's a question of safety, and other times it's convenience. Both are valid reasons. We use motor vehicles to make progress.

Failing to make progress is a fail in the U.K. driving test.

It is only in a very few extreme cases that people end up dead or in jail. I'm making this point because on my way to one appointment I have twice weekly at the Airport, I go through a red light. I either go through the middle lane on green, or filter the left lane on red (though there's no sign allowing this). There are also a few other T junctions I know where it's safe to filter the red light when traffic isn't coming in from the junction.

Sometimes it's perfectly safe to regard the red light as a warning light and proceed with extreme caution.

Likewise, if you fill up at the Esso garage 100m from Megabangna (and about 12 lanes between you and TEsco on the opposite side of the road/bangna-trad highway) then you can either 1. Join the crazy dangerous traffic which is getting tangled up with merges for the next 2-3km before going over a really crazy crowded u-turn bridge where cars try to decide between 1 or 2 lanes before coming down the other side and battling through busses pulling out and cars trying to turn into Tesco from the third lane....

Or you can U-turn and ride 100 metres up the right side of the road - again using extreme caution if any cars are travelling in the first couple of lanes.

If you drove here more than a year and you did not understand that the left side of the road, the left one or two lanes on multi-lane roads, are not 'slow' lanes, they are regarded as not much more than parking and turning areas (cars should drive as close to the centre of the road as possible which creates the dilemma of bikes having nowhere to overtake except the inside in many cases).

You sound a lot like an American teacher that reversed her 4x4 into my GSX-R and cursed me for stopping behind her 'you wouldn't do that back home now would you?' she said. I told her 'I don't know about YOUR home, but we learn to use our brains and eyes when we drive'.

Your statement shows clearly that you don't understand much. So you drive like an idiot British driver, or a moronic US driver. We'll use our intelligence and adapt.

Laws  are there for our  protection those who get caught not playing correctly should pay the penalty, if they are still alive of course

Continually reeling out the excuses will not cut down the road kill, YOU, will reap what you sow

So many have your attitude to safe road use, this explains the situation in Thailand 

UK and Thailand approx same size of population in numbers of course, road kill figures 17 - 1 in Thailands favour

Yes the stupidly rigid rules of the UK  certainly have a lot to answer for

Safe motoring to all including the Death Wish merchants

5 minutes ago, oldlakey said:

Laws  are there for our  protection those who get caught not playing correctly should pay the penalty, if they are still alive of course

Continually reeling out the excuses will not cut down the road kill, YOU, will reap what you sow

So many have your attitude to safe road use, this explains the situation in Thailand 

UK and Thailand approx same size of population in numbers of course, road kill figures 17 - 1 in Thailands favour

Yes the stupidly rigid rules of the UK  certainly have a lot to answer for

Safe motoring to all including the Death Wish merchants

"Laws  are there for our  protection those who get caught not playing correctly should pay the penalty,"

"Yes the stupidly rigid rules of the UK  certainly have a lot to answer for"

Ah, the irony...

40 minutes ago, Boycie said:

I see his DOB before i blurred out some details on his driving licence and posted here.

I just wanted to certify his correct name in a post i made earlier in the thread.

I hope this clears any confusion and were not going to have an extra 45 pages of dispute about his name, if he had an IDL-IDP/Thai licence, his age etc :whistling:

Thanks you cleared it up definitively .Also checking his Linkedin page it matches him and that name . 

Archived