PM asks people not to hate military

snoop1130

My Thai wife read this article. No one will hate the military man if the military man is a good man. Her words. I have not yet met

a bad military man, but it seems I do not move in the circles that some posters on this site do. I could say the same about the police.

I read about bad behaviour from the authorities, I read all the venomous comments by posters, but I have yet to see or witness it.

But I live in the boonies, I obey the passport and visa requirements, have the correct licences and don't make an ahole out of myself in public.

Works for me

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, imagemaestro said:

I think the point made that in countries such as mine, Australia, where the military is subordinate to a democratically elected government it is held in high regard.

I remarked recently that I spend half the year in Australia and half in Thailand.  When in Australia I can go years without meeting in public a member of the armed forces.  You never see them except on TV or at remembrance ceremonies.    My Thai friends were astonished; where as in LOS you see them strutting around daily.

If General Prayut is serious about wanting public respect then hand government over to a properly elected representative government of the people's choosing, not his, return with his soldiers to barracks and wait till they are called for.

No more coup's.

The armies of modern countries in democracies serve a vital purpose.  To protect from EXTERNAL aggression.  Military are very good at their one single purpose.  The movement of personnel and equipment quickly and efficiently from one place to another to kill the enemy.  Nothing else.   Nothing !

And no Sir. Thailand is not unique, not special, there are not reasons I don't understand as a foreigner.  That is smoke and mirrors you chaps have been using for years as an excuse.  Be done with it.

The people of Burma, that poor sad walking basket case of a country next door knows what happens if you leave the soldiers in charge.  Thailand does not want sixty years of you.

The Thai military doesn't exist to protect the country, it exists to protect the elite from the people and democracy.  On the few occasions it is called upon to defend the borders it usually does a poor job.  Though I've read that the military does do a good job of managing and taxing illegal smuggling of all kinds at the borders.

Why should he make such a request? Was he reading posts on these forums?:cheesy:

Anyhow any military or VIP display always call a smile on my humble person. I live in a tiny weenie small country, very very close to Europe, where we often see our President, crossing the over the premises of the parliament, going over alone across the road to buy his newspaper (that hides perhaps a X rated review underneath):shock1::cheesy:, and goes back walking to his office, with no display of boys in black suits, black shades, or twisted transparent spring wires in their ears!!!

Friends in other parts of the world, or the expats over here, always burst out laughing when told or when they witness such scenes, but that's how it is here:sleep:!!

Edited by observer90210

1 hour ago, imagemaestro said:

I think the point made that in countries such as mine, Australia, where the military is subordinate to a democratically elected government it is held in high regard.

I remarked recently that I spend half the year in Australia and half in Thailand.  When in Australia I can go years without meeting in public a member of the armed forces.  You never see them except on TV or at remembrance ceremonies.    My Thai friends were astonished; where as in LOS you see them strutting around daily.

If General Prayut is serious about wanting public respect then hand government over to a properly elected representative government of the people's choosing, not his, return with his soldiers to barracks and wait till they are called for.

No more coup's.

The armies of modern countries in democracies serve a vital purpose.  To protect from EXTERNAL aggression.  Military are very good at their one single purpose.  The movement of personnel and equipment quickly and efficiently from one place to another to kill the enemy.  Nothing else.   Nothing !

And no Sir. Thailand is not unique, not special, there are not reasons I don't understand as a foreigner.  That is smoke and mirrors you chaps have been using for years as an excuse.  Be done with it.

The people of Burma, that poor sad walking basket case of a country next door knows what happens if you leave the soldiers in charge.  Thailand does not want sixty years of you.

You make perfect sense to all the lucky people that live in Australia.

But, like it or not, thousands of years of Asian and Mid East history is against you.

Thailand is "lucky" to have a "police force" never mind a defence only force.

If you do not see that the police and military are in competition here.

you must have blinkers on, You either accept life here or you move on.

I stayed here with my lovely wife, the whole tribe of family, the bickering, the lifestyle.

That is my choice, make yours or move on. Democracy has never existed here, get over it or leave.

3 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

You make perfect sense to all the lucky people that live in Australia.

But, like it or not, thousands of years of Asian and Mid East history is against you.

Thailand is "lucky" to have a "police force" never mind a defence only force.

If you do not see that the police and military are in competition here.

you must have blinkers on, You either accept life here or you move on.

I stayed here with my lovely wife, the whole tribe of family, the bickering, the lifestyle.

That is my choice, make yours or move on. Democracy has never existed here, get over it or leave.

"Democracy has never existed here..."

Sure it has, briefly. The majority liked it, the minority hated it, and the military supports the minority.

"...get over it or leave."

Since your initial assumption is wrong, there is no need for us to leave.  Of course even if you were right, we might stay just to annoy people like...

9 minutes ago, heybruce said:

"Democracy has never existed here..."

Sure it has, briefly. The majority liked it, the minority hated it, and the military supports the minority.

"...get over it or leave."

Since your initial assumption is wrong, there is no need for us to leave.  Of course even if you were right, we might stay just to annoy people like...

That is fine for you." A brief period of democracy" may be fine for the plebs, it caused untold grief to the farmers, the backbone of this country.

Your brief period of democracy (despite rampant corruption) caused political murders, terrorism and total uncertainty.

Not the foundation to stable democracy. It also caused untold grief and debt to the farmers

But you city centric democracy heroes don't give a rats about farmers. You are totally ignorant about three fifths of the Kingdom.

God bless you sir, my hat off to you, we bow down to your superior intellect.

Or you could just leave and let Thais resolve a future for themselves. So far, everyone I talk to is happy with the status quo.

PM tells public ‘not to hate the military’ on Khon Kaen trip
By THE NATION

b42f288cd1682692b3a6e25ba12b9e85.jpeg

KHON KAEN: -- Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha yesterday thanked Khon Kaen residents for answering his four questions on elections and governance, with over 10,000 people responding, the most in any province nationwide.

He said that his questions were aimed at sounding out views from the public regarding political matters.

Prayut gave a speech at Khon Kaen University on implementing the government’s Thailand 4.0 policy in the Northeast amid tight security in the auditorium. At the same venue in 2014, shortly after the military coup, a small group of students staged a protest against the power seizure led by Prayut, then the Army chief.

The prime minister said research should be conducted to further develop the country in line with the Thailand 4.0 policy.

He said his government had attempted to “tailor” solutions to problems of different groups of people, particularly those involving poverty. As many as 14.9 million people have registered as low-income earners, he said, adding that authorities would determine why there were still so many poor people.

In the latter part of his speech, the prime minister encouraged questions from the audience and suggestions as to what the government should do to solve their problems.

He also asked his audience not to hate the military or the post-coup government. “I would like to be the prime minister for everyone. All of us should help to avoid conflicts,” Prayut said.

“Please do not hate the military. Certainly some soldiers are bad, but there are bad fish in every occupation. In fact, there are more good people than bad ones,” he said. 

Earlier in the day, military and police officers raided a Khon Kaen house used by the Dao Din activist group.

The raid, which was carried out as students and activists were waking up, was broadcast live on Dao Din’s Facebook page “Dao Din Samanchon”, or “Dao Din, the commoners”.

235c222863f328e73b3ecb01d8d3427b.jpeg

On the live video, the activists asked officers for a search warrant and questioned how they could carry out a search operation without a warrant.

They also claimed the officers, led by Lt-Colonel Pitakphol Chusri of the 23rd Military Circle of Khon Kaen Province, removed unidentified documents from the house.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30318736

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-06-22

9 hours ago, MarkusAUST said:

I suspect the level of hatred will begin to dissipate when there is a democratically elected government in place.

the level of hatred will most probably grow as the masses realize the army dictates who will run in the next election and retain actual control even after the elections are held. this is probably why the general keeps delaying the elections.

6 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

the level of hatred will most probably grow as the masses realize the army dictates who will run in the next election and retain actual control even after the elections are held. this is probably why the general keeps delaying the elections.

Does any of this actually affect you? Just a bit interested in your rants. I actually live here,

I have zero input to what is going on and it does not impact me in any way. Nor my neighbours,

nor my village nor the province. 

I hope you do not live here, your posts are so ridiculous to any resident here.

Unless you live in a bar at Pattaya, they are very insightful.

23 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

Does any of this actually affect you? Just a bit interested in your rants. I actually live here,

I have zero input to what is going on and it does not impact me in any way. Nor my neighbours,

yes it effects me, my 2 kids are half thai, their mum is thai, i have a business in thailand. i will probably retire back to thailand if it is a good place to retire at that stage.

of course you have zero input but there is no way you can live in thailand and not be affected by what is going on.  

interested to know what you think is so ridiculous.

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

10 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

As to liking the army, what is about to happen that the Thais may not like the army.

Maybe nothing, but you raise an intriguing point. Perhaps the dear leader is smarming his way around the people prior to dropping another bombshell. Seems to me that it's time for the Air Force to dip into the public purse, so I wonder if he's about to announce the purchase of 1,000 F-22 Raptors? They're much-needed, of course, because Laos recently bought a new weather balloon which threatens Thai security.

8 minutes ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

yes it effects me, my 2 kids are half thai, their mum is thai, i have a business in thailand. i will probably retire back to thailand if it is a good place to retire at that stage.

of course you have zero input but there is no way you can live in thailand and not be affected by what is going on.  

interested to know what you think is so ridiculous.

Well, you don't live here for a start. I do.

Your input is your input, not the wife or any Thai person.

Welcome back to Thailand when you have thousands of years more history than you do.

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha spoke at the Khon Kean University on government plans for the countries future.

The PM has worked hard to bring Thailand a more stable economy with economic stability through massive projects announced, with more project planned over the next 2 years than has been done over the past 10 years.

This government is best for Thailand as it instills security and development.

I can still go and do as I please .... I can go anywhere without fear of shootings, road blockages, protests and mayhem ...  Thais are understanding the PM's message and it has been confirmed in recent surveys.

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha

594afa0a26aaa_KhunPrayuth.jpg.150ab830328638faf250118aef9c2c18.jpg

32 minutes ago, spiderorchid said:

Well, you don't live here for a start. I do.

Your input is your input, not the wife or any Thai person.

Welcome back to Thailand when you have thousands of years more history than you do.

i just finished living in thailand for 10 years. i just left as i want my kids to be schooled in new zealand.

what is happening now in thailand effects me just as much, probably more than it does you as my family is half thai.  i am not speaking on their or any other thai persons behalf,  i never said i was. 

thousands of years of more history. no idea what that means.

still missing what you think i said that was so ridiculous. 

Edited by williamgeorgeallen

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha spoke at the Khon Kean University on government plans for the countries future.

The PM has worked hard to bring Thailand a more stable economy with economic stability through massive projects announced, with more project planned over the next 2 years than has been done over the past 10 years.

I can still go and do as I please .... I can go anywhere without fear of shootings, road blockages, protests and mayhem ...  Thais are understanding the PM's message and it has been confirmed in recent surveys.

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha

You nailed it.  It works for me, my family, my village, my city and province.

Shut up about interfering in another countries politics. Most other countries have a political mess on their own plates.

Except for the usual Muslim suspects, Thailand is a peaceful , welcoming and tolerant society. I have loved it for many years

despite rampant corruption through the"democratic" years.

1 minute ago, spiderorchid said:

You nailed it.  It works for me, my family, my village, my city and province.

Shut up about interfering in another countries politics. Most other countries have a political mess on their own plates.

Except for the usual Muslim suspects, Thailand is a peaceful , welcoming and tolerant society. I have loved it for many years

despite rampant corruption through the"democratic" years.

Couldn't agree more ....  nice country and a great lifestyle.

It's got me buggered why anyone would stay here if waking up every day with such a dislike ....   but I guess some just wanna whinge all their life and never try to fix their problem.

Just now, steven100 said:

Couldn't agree more ....  nice country and a great lifestyle.

It's got me buggered why anyone would stay here if waking up every day with such a dislike ....   but I guess some just wanna whinge all their life and never try to fix their problem.

Some who live here never venture outside a bar, read some paper and comment expertly.

And they complain, like small children or whingers.

They know everything. Except reality

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha

Here you go again. He is increasing the debt of the country to finance schemes that will not make any profit but will rather be a burden on the economy. When YS proposed these same projects you where against them but now you sing their praises. As there is no transparency these shemes/scams will net them billions in tea money, they couldnt even build a park without having major corruption. How do you think they will build these white elephants without corruption?

2 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

I do agree with you.

I really don't see or hear people hating the military.

The police, however, is another matter.

The only rants against the government I read here on TV, mostly from people coming from countries in the west where democracy has been degraded to a voting circus with no real influence at all.

12 hours ago, YetAnother said:

please help me ; what does this mean ? sometimes intelligent thought requires the appropriate words; and thoughtlessness is just crap

I "think" it means, don't disagree with us and we won't bring a world of hurt down on your arse.

7 hours ago, imagemaestro said:

Agree with what you say other than a couple of minor points re the above. The military also has a role to play in protecting against internal threats (hence seeing British troops on the streets of London recently and the findings of the so called Sydney siege including more of a role for our special forces) and a role to play in humanitarian aide efforts overseas and internal. 

Edited by Salerno
Typo

8 hours ago, SiamBeast said:

Well I gotta admit, I kind of like the guy. He uses force and authority to do things but don't forget one thing: the masses of people are stupid following what everyone is doing. For this reason, I think a "true" democracy is not good for a country. For example, if you want a train rail built, everyone will argue and want shares and try to stall the project - without democracy, the PM can simply say "shut up, we're going ahead with the project now, end of story". It saves millions to taxpayers, get things moving, and improves the country.

That's all well and groovy until it is your house and land facing the bulldozer and the government get to decide on your level of compensation. Maybe they will decide you aren't entitled to any and then what, in a country where arguing is a political crime?

As is usual on here, dictatorship is all fine and dandy just as long as the bad things happen to other people.

Edited by baboon

Classic photo in the BP print version, page 3: The General holding a rose in one hand and his arm around a bemused - looking boy scout. Prayuth with a pained expression hinting of " do I really deserve this?". 

I personally think that he General PM has done at least as good a job as the last two leaders

and I do not think that he is nearly as corrupt as the last two were. My wife is Thai and her family

in Thailand were no fans of the last two leaders.  The last two leaders were considered as very rich

Hi Sos. and of course most Thais know how corrupt they were.

Geezer

2 minutes ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I personally think that he General PM has done at least as good a job as the last two leaders

and I do not think that he is nearly as corrupt as the last two were. 

Hence the need for a blanket amnesty covering all past, present and future actions and stifling of the media.

You are simply choosing to believe what you do.

I personally think that if junta PM Prayut is doing such a stellar job, why is he curtailing open opinion and threaten those who speak negatively. He has so far threatened politicians, activists, students, academician, media and even family members. If he is so good, he should not be afraid of criticism. He should even test his credibility by putting himself as candidate in the next election. He should win, right as he is so popular, competent and goooood. Besides the economic data don't lie and it tell of a poor poor job by him and his staffs. 

Did the PM ever graduate from primary school, his ability to communicate a sincere message or a mature approach to solving a

problem ( Most which have been caused by him ) leaves  a lot to be desired. At least Trump has someone come on after his tweets or speeches to apologies or try and put a positive spin on the BS delivered. Maybe the PM needs to do the same.

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

He also asked his audience not to hate the military or the post-coup government.

On the other hand he could care less:

In 2014 after the coup Prayut said he would only remain in power for one year.

In June 2016 at a Group of 77 forum Prayut said that he won't go anywhere as long as the country does not achieve peace - no matter how much people hate him. He added that without soldiers, Thailand can go nowhere. (publisher name and link not allowed to be cited).

Really, what's there to hate?

8 hours ago, spiderorchid said:

That is fine for you." A brief period of democracy" may be fine for the plebs, it caused untold grief to the farmers, the backbone of this country.

Your brief period of democracy (despite rampant corruption) caused political murders, terrorism and total uncertainty.

Not the foundation to stable democracy. It also caused untold grief and debt to the farmers

But you city centric democracy heroes don't give a rats about farmers. You are totally ignorant about three fifths of the Kingdom.

God bless you sir, my hat off to you, we bow down to your superior intellect.

Or you could just leave and let Thais resolve a future for themselves. So far, everyone I talk to is happy with the status quo.

Democracy was corrupt, but the military isn't?  You need to get out more.

"political murders, terrorism, and total uncertainty" were caused as much, if not more so, but opponents of democracy and the military.

Grief and debt for farmers is hardly unique to democratic governments, as is "unaffordable populist policies" to bring farmers on-side.

I'm all for letting Thais resolve a future for themselves, but I want all Thais to have this opportunity, not just those with money and guns.  That's why I support democracy.

Edited by heybruce

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayuth Chan O Cha

And yet this wonderful government is afraid of elections.  Why do you think that is?