More than five million children need urgent humanitarian aid in Iraq – UNICEF

webfact

More than five million children need urgent humanitarian aid in Iraq – UNICEF

By Ahmed Rasheed

tag-reuters.jpg

Displaced Iraqi children attend a class in a tent school set by United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) at Hammam al-Alil camp south of Mosul, Iraq May 23, 2017. REUTERS/Ari Jalal

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - More than 5 million children are in urgent need of aid in Iraq, the United Nations said on Thursday, describing the war on Islamic State as "one of the most brutal" in modern history.

"Across Iraq, children continue to witness sheer horror and unimaginable violence," the United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) said in a statement.

"They have been killed, injured, abducted and forced to shoot and kill in one of the most brutal wars in recent history."

In Mosul, children are being deliberately targeted and killed by Islamic State militants to punish families and deter them from fleeing, it said.

International organizations estimate that more than 100,000 civilians, of whom half are children, are trapped in extremely dangerous conditions in the Old City centre, the last district still under the militants' control in Mosul.

More than 1,000 children have been killed and more than 1,100 wounded or maimed since 2014, when the ultra-hardline militants seized large swathes of Iraq, it said. Over 4,650 children have become separated from their families.

The militants have lost most of the Iraqi cities they came to control, after a series of U.S.-backed offensives that began in 2015. They are also close to losing all of Mosul, the northern city which served as their de facto capital.

(Reporting by Ahmed Rasheed; Editing by Hugh Lawson)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-06-22

4 hours ago, Goanna said:

I am flabbergasted. Islam is such a peaceful religion. How can this be. More incorrect reporting from the west. Surely muslims take care of their children, peacefully of course.

Yup. The arab and/or muslim want to fight each other and the West on one hand but also want the western nations to provide humanitarian aid? Talk about having your cake and eating it. Let the Arab world look after these poor kids.

5 hours ago, Goanna said:

I am flabbergasted. Islam is such a peaceful religion. How can this be. More incorrect reporting from the west. Surely muslims take care of their children, peacefully of course.

17 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Yup. The arab and/or muslim want to fight each other and the West on one hand but also want the western nations to provide humanitarian aid? Talk about having your cake and eating it. Let the Arab world look after these poor kids.

Arabs and Muslims in did not invade a sovereign country, half a million American soldiers did and after catastrophe اhappened they realized there were no weapons of mass destruction.   They should have helped Iraqis but instead they installed a government run by figures who were opposed to Saddam and loyal to Iran.

2 minutes ago, nasanews said:

Thank you Americans for ruining Iraqis lives and their future.

Oh really? And the Muslim extremists are not slaughtering their own people including women and children? Internecine warfare? Tribal or religious warfare is not involved? You are naive if you think it is Americans who have ruined Iraqi lives. They (the Americans AND their allies) maybe muddying the waters that is about all. For how many years were Iraqis and Iranians fighting each other before the Americans became involved? Get off your a** and go help them yourself or crawl back under your rock!

BTW: I am NOT a U.S. citizen or related to nor have I renounced any U.S. citizenship.

3 minutes ago, nasanews said:

Arabs and Muslims in did not invade a sovereign country, half a million American soldiers did and after catastrophe اhappened they realized there were no weapons of mass destruction.   They should have helped Iraqis but instead they installed a government run by figures who were opposed to Saddam and loyal to Iran.

"Arabs and Muslims in did not invade a sovereign country," And they didn't invade Kuwait either?

37 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Oh really? And the Muslim extremists are not slaughtering their own people including women and children? Internecine warfare? Tribal or religious warfare is not involved? You are naive if you think it is Americans who have ruined Iraqi lives. They (the Americans AND their allies) maybe muddying the waters that is about all. For how many years were Iraqis and Iranians fighting each other before the Americans became involved? Get off your a** and go help them yourself or crawl back under your rock!

BTW: I am NOT a U.S. citizen or related to nor have I renounced any U.S. citizenship.

33 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

"Arabs and Muslims in did not invade a sovereign country," And they didn't invade Kuwait either?

You win I quit because in fear of my state of mind which could be affected debating your nonsense.

Continued nonsensical trolling will earn suspensions.   The call for aid is not limited to the West and the organizations which provide humanitarian aid are not all western countries.   

What about a world movement to pressure the likes of Dubya , Cheney, Rumsfeld, Blair, Howard and don't forget the Israelis to donate to a "Restore the world" fund. Or, should we just leave it to our illustrious leaders to do it all again.

It's too obvious that Nth. Korea are next in line. Who will be the lucky country? Oh, and let's not forget the Saudies. They obviously have some unfinished business. Maybe they are still expecting compensation for their "martyrs" who skilfully piloted those planes full of people into buildings also full of people.

Reminiscent of Hiroshima and Nagasaki when you think about it..

Hey all you rocket scientists and brain surgeons out there !!

What about humanity? 

12 hours ago, webfact said:

More than 5 million children are in urgent need of aid in Iraq

I'm sure Trump will gladly help, provided each child signs a promissory note to repay the US for any aid received. A heart of gold has been replaced by an IOU.

For many families living in countries such as Iraq and Syria- it is not their fault that their countries have been reduced to rubble by the actions of Governments, dictators, rebels, religious nutters etc.

if your country is in a state of war- would you as a human being - decide to bring more & MORE kids into the world?  many of these families are huge.  

Just asking? 

For many families living in countries such as Iraq and Syria- it is not their fault that their countries have been reduced to rubble by the actions of Governments, dictators, rebels, religious nutters etc.

if your country is in a state of war- would you as a human being - decide to bring more & MORE kids into the world?  many of these families are huge.  

Just asking? 

It would be much better to lose one five kids to war than one of one...

Besides, what else do they have to do?

It seems that a good chunk of the ME is in a war state, Saudi Arabia, Sunni  Iran, the other side of the hatred. then throw in Iraq with , its mixture of Shiites, Sunni, Kurds etc.    Afghanistan.  Makes me wonder, who loves who  and who hates who to the core, so much that the groups of terrorists come from which of these groups.  Is this why the fighting will not be stopped in our lifetime?

Geezer

Let's stay on topic, please.  

Families in that part of the world tend to be larger, but friends I have living there, all have much smaller families than they were born into.   That is anecdotal information, but keep in mind that access to any type of family planning information or birth control is severely limited.

4 hours ago, peterb17 said:

Just asking? 

In the bigger picture the worldwide number of Internally Displaced People (IDPs) and refugees now stands at 65.5 million people, with only approx 100k+ being resettled annually, so massive amounts of financial and resource aid required. 

IDPs & refugees within Syria and Iraq is currently in the millions, I would doubt they have access to good quality care for contraception, plus many would come from rural areas where before the current wars the average number of children per family was six; similar to other countries with rural populations who have low quality education and poor. Other Muslim countries such as Indonesia, where education is improving with reducing rates of poverty, are trending to smaller family sizes.

13 hours ago, nasanews said:

You win I quit because in fear of my state of mind which could be affected debating your nonsense.

Gotcha.  :thumbsup: I only pointed out that they DID invade a sovereign nation. That is a fact, not recognised by you.

Nice to have a chat with you. :smile:

7 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

It seems that a good chunk of the ME is in a war state, Saudi Arabia, Sunni  Iran, the other side of the hatred. then throw in Iraq with , its mixture of Shiites, Sunni, Kurds etc.    Afghanistan.  Makes me wonder, who loves who  and who hates who to the core, so much that the groups of terrorists come from which of these groups.  Is this why the fighting will not be stopped in our lifetime?

Geezer

No - the fighting will not stop in our lifetime because it is not in the interests of the US for there to be peace in the region.  

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

No - the fighting will not stop in our lifetime because it is not in the interests of the US for there to be peace in the region.  

One track mind at work.

Why bother with reasoning when tossing truisms does just fine.