Vendors grumble as Jomtien Beach overhaul moves into Dongtan

Rimmer

Vendors grumble as Jomtien Beach overhaul moves into Dongtan

1247-n1changes2.jpg

PATTAYA:--Jomtien Beach vendors are complaining their low season is about to get a lot worse as the 600-million-baht shoreline renovation project moves into Dongtan Beach.

Beach chair renters, street hawkers and masseuses moaned they were not given any warning when workers began demolishing the sidewalk and uprooting trees. But Jomtien Beach’s renovation has been underway for more than a year with the project details repeatedly publicized.

The Dongtan phase covers 7.8 sq. kilometers and is budgeted to cost 45.4 million baht. Nong Nooch Landscape and Garden Design is the lead contractor with completion scheduled for late April 2018.

Along with landscaping, a six-meter-wide access road from the Dongtan police box to the Rabbit Resort will be built as well as a larger parking lot.

Vendors whined that the sidewalk is now full of sand and trees that provide shade for customers have been removed, discouraging people from visiting. More reasonable sellers, however, said they will make the best of it and conceded that low season was the best time to do the work – although construction will continue through the next high season.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/vendors-grumble-jomtien-beach-overhaul-moves-dongtan-178541

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-06-23

7.8 sq. kilometers? I don't know where the reporter got that number but they parroted it without giving it much thought. 

It's roughly one kilometer from the police station to the Rabbit Resort. The width of the public area is 50 meters at the widest. So, the Dong Tarn phase involves less than 0.05 sq. kilometers.

19 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

7.8 sq. kilometers? I don't know where the reporter got that number but they parroted it without giving it much thought. 

It's roughly one kilometer from the police station to the Rabbit Resort. The width of the public area is 50 meters at the widest. So, the Dong Tarn phase involves less than 0.05 sq. kilometers.

Probably got the numbers off the invoice.

The money would be better spent on fixing problems that have existed prior to the demolition of Dongtan Beach such as holes in the sidewalks in Jomtien, sidewalks on the beach that have been in need of repairs for years. Then there is the water quality with garbage flowing to the water daily.

" The Dongtan phase covers 7.8 sq. kilometers and is budgeted to cost 45.4 million baht. Nong Nooch Landscape and Garden Design is the lead contractor with completion scheduled for late April 2018."

I wonder how much of that 45 mill is actually being spent on the beach? After what was done to Jomtien Beach, I will never again go to Nong Nooch Garden nor suggest visitors go there (they are connected, aren't they?)

Friend's mother has umbrella & seat concession. I asked him "Did anyone ever ask you what you folks wanted?" (No). They also had to pack up everything and take away from beach a few days ago... "Did they ever tell you why they were doing this? (No).

Elected governments here leave much to be desired, but what we have now.....

On 6/24/2017 at 9:47 AM, Moti24 said:

It'll be good to see a nice beach, but who is going to swim in that disgusting waste dump of a sea!

I tried swimming at that particular section one time and felt soiled beyond belief!  I even had to fight a red pair of men's undershorts to get out of the water and the undershorts damn near won!!!