Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD) - What medicine do you take ? Does it help ?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, TonyClifton said:

You'll have to show me your source for that statement.  Carbs are typically the culprit, not fat.  

High fat foods or fried and fatty foods can cause the LES to relax, allowing more stomach acid to back up into the esophagus. That is basic biology.

You keep on offering very bad if not dangerous advice and then questioning  good and helpful advice. Why?

32 minutes ago, Flustered said:

If you had Had 2 endoscopies with biopsies but they returned negative, how could you have a hiatus hernia? It would have shown up with the endoscopy.

Unless you are trying to say that you were looking for the cause of the hiatus hernia or the cause of the acid reflux? Not very clear.

The hernia was diagnosed many years ago  and the medicine amongst others was zantac with the advice to quit smoking and modify my diet .  This was then ok for a number of years but then started again  which led to the endoscopies .  Ulcers were suspected  but not found  and it was then that I was put on omeprazole until a new doctor said that he wanted me to have another endoscopy along with biopsies  and again that proved clear . My father also suffered with the same problem .  

2 minutes ago, superal said:

The hernia was diagnosed many years ago  and the medicine amongst others was zantac with the advice to quit smoking and modify my diet .  This was then ok for a number of years but then started again  which led to the endoscopies .  Ulcers were suspected  but not found  and it was then that I was put on omeprazole until a new doctor said that he wanted me to have another endoscopy along with biopsies  and again that proved clear . My father also suffered with the same problem .  

OK, understood now.

Sounds like a diet issue.

I have had to change my diet completely to help combat the acid reflux. My endoscopy did find inflammation in the stomach which was not helping and a change in diet (fare well very hot curries and no medicinal brandy) did relieve my problem and sort out the inflammation.

However, acid reflux is part of my life but controlled by prescribed medicine.

4 minutes ago, Flustered said:

OK, understood now.

Sounds like a diet issue.

I have had to change my diet completely to help combat the acid reflux. My endoscopy did find inflammation in the stomach which was not helping and a change in diet (fare well very hot curries and no medicinal brandy) did relieve my problem and sort out the inflammation.

Such is me and what medicines are you taking ? One further thing is that I do have flatulence even though I have regular daily bowel movements . 

26 minutes ago, superal said:

Such is me and what medicines are you taking ? One further thing is that I do have flatulence even though I have regular daily bowel movements . 

Lanzoprazol 30 mg 30 mins before breakfast.

13 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

Low stomach acid also causes GERD, and this is a simple test to check it.

http://hansacenter.com/simple-at-home-test-for-low-stomach-acid/

A pity I used all my baking soda in the refrigerator to catch all the bad food stink.  But I do enjoy a good belch, so I'll run out to get some right away!

When we all become old farts it becomes a game of balance.  I'm diabetic, treating diabetes mainly with diet and 2 prescription pills.   I eat low carb.  If I deviate I can get reflux with a vengeance and this is while taking omeprazole. I see coffee mentioned, and hot peppers as bad actors for our diets.  I consume both in large quantities.  What works for me may not work for you.  With that said, we humans didn't evolve eating potato chips and pretzels.  We consumed meat and vegetables.

Get back to basics, walk, have lots of sex, and watch comedies.  And one more piece of advice, never trust a fart.

Fat slows the emptying of the stomach considrrably (which is why foods higher in fat are more filling, and why very low fat diets often lead people to eat more calories in the long run).

If a fatty meal is eaten in the evening then even waiting the recommenfed 2 hours, you may still have food in your stomach when you go to bed.

Lying flat with a full ir partly full stomach invites reflux.

On the subject of a hiatus hernia; Quote, "The cause of a hiatal hernia is usually unknown. Weak supportive tissues and increased abdominal pressure can contribute to the condition. The hernia itself can play a role in the development of both acid reflux and a chronic form of acid reflux called gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)".

I experienced gastric reflux some 14 years ago and never did anything about it until it got very uncomfortable, so I saw my doctor/surgeon who did an endoscopy. The result was that I was suffering from GERD and this had advanced to a stage where it was then termed, "Barrett's oesophagus" which is a condition which can preclude oesophageal cancer and this was clearly shown in pictures of the oesophagus.

Several measures were recommended including not eating too late, cutting down on working hours and the stress levels (which were extremely high at the time) and cutting out things like alcohol and any smoking, not to mention experimenting with my diet to see what foods triggered the condition. In addition I was to raise the head of the bed and eat smaller portions and eat more slowly.

I was prescribed omeprazole, 40 mg in the morning and 40 mg in the evening and that worked well. In order to try and control the stress and get some better sleep, I was also prescribed triazolam (anti-anxiety and sleeping aid) for a short period of time.

It was at this time of my life I decided to quit working and retire because my job was just far too stressful.

At the same time I cut down on the amount of omeprazole to 20 mg twice a day and this still worked well.

I was keen to get off this although my doctor/surgeon at the time said long-term use in low doses would not be a problem, however I tried something called d-Limonene capsules (it's an extract of orange oil and believe it or not is also used in some cleaning products) after reading quite a bit about it and it seemed that these particular capsules did help some folk, but not others, but they certainly helped me.

The last time I went back for a gastroscopy was about four years ago and after following the regimen above, I had another endoscopy and my doctor/surgeon was absolutely amazed because all signs of the Barrett's oesophagus had gone so I mentioned the d-limonene capsules and he said he was going to do a bit of research on them (that's the reason why I think this NZ doctor is the best doctor I've ever known because not only is he very experienced, he does listen and he has an open mind with regards to things like this and he will be prepared to try "off label uses" for some drugs, obviously in conjunction and with my agreement).

Anyway fast forward to now and I take no omeprazole apart from a couple over two or three days if my reflux seems to get bad for whatever reason (and I don't know why). I stay away from things like red peppers, milk chocolate and strong coffee, however chilies and spicy food don't bother me, but the occasional curry might give me a little bit of discomfort in the early hours of the morning.

I can eat dark chocolate and I love it far too much, and I drink perhaps three glasses to a bottle of red wine every night and with that I will have 3 to 4 cigarettes after my evening meal.

As I said I really don't suffer from it now, however I do keep some omeprazole capsules in the fridge just in case and just occasionally may swallow a spoonful of Gaviscon.

I did a lot of research on it and discussed it at length with my doctor and also with pharmacist friend of mine who suffered from it extremely badly and he had tried just about everything and really wanted to go the natural route, so tried digestive enzymes, cutting down on grains and every form of diet change he could think of, all to no avail. Even fixing his hiatus hernia surgically didn't help him and I really felt sorry for him, because with all his medical knowledge, he still wasn't able to do much about his condition.

In conclusion I think that there are some people who suffer from this and for whom it is extremely difficult to find a "cure", however I have been lucky with cutting down on stress, taking omeprazole and also the d-limonene capsules.

That's my story and I hope it helps somebody.

11 hours ago, xylophone said:

I can eat dark chocolate and I love it far too much, and I drink perhaps three glasses to a bottle of red wine every night and with that I will have 3 to 4 cigarettes after my evening meal.

Unbelievable. You are hoping your story helps somebody, when your lifestyle indicates an increased risk of liver disease, emphysema or lung cancer.

I had 2 endoscopy's both saw the same problem hiatus hernia. They way the doctor described it was. Its like a trap door at bottom of stomach, opens after eating to let a bit of acid in to digest food then closes tight.  Yours is partialy open all the time therefore letting acid in constantly. Prescribed Omeprazol at the time 20mg in morning. Later after 2nd scope changed to Lansoprazole 30mg in morning. Then years down the line is had to take a 300mg slow release one name eludes me now at night as well Iwas then refered to a dietician. Who informed me there is no set rule from one person to the next. What affects one maybe doesnt affect another. In genral dairy products/fatty meat/spicy food/crisps/citric fruit drinks/beer basicaly everything anybody usually takes for granted. But to go away eat/drink what i like and see if it affects you. After months of trial and error i found pastry of any kind/milk (but only if i drunk it neat)/crisps/nuts of any kind/spicy food and worst of all my beloved Marmite. Luckily enough beer (my tipple anyway which is heinekin and a nice tot or seven of dark rum OVD) doesnt affect me (well it does but not the acid).

Since coming here i reajusted the diet nothing to spicy(which means very little thai food is eaten by me). Lanzoprazol is not available so i tried loads of diffrent formulas eventually hitting on two Tablets that work for me. 

As a side note and i have no idea if one is related to the other as i have always sweated a lot i took up my old habbit of salt tablets which i took for many years whilst in foriegn parts. Since starting on these i have noticed a real reduction in acidic episodes when forgetting to take morning of evening tablets.

5 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Unbelievable. You are hoping your story helps somebody, when your lifestyle indicates an increased risk of liver disease, emphysema or lung cancer.

Well I was sincerely hoping that the elements with regards to omeprazole, perhaps better sleeping habits and less stress, not to mention trying to sort out the best diet which alleviated the symptoms, would be of help.

I certainly didn't think that after reading my post people would suddenly take up smoking and drinking red wine.

Not that it makes any difference, but for the record, my liver function tests are good (kidney tests also) and fairly regular screening shows no problems with lungs or associated bits and pieces. Having discussed much with my doctor over the years, he did advise me to cut down on the red wine, so now it's more like three glasses a night and as regards the smoking, his words were something along the lines of, "well I have to tell you that it is not good for you, however if you are having around three cigarettes per night, and you don't inhale (which I don't), then I doubt whether it will do you any harm".

24 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Well I was sincerely hoping that the elements with regards to omeprazole, perhaps better sleeping habits and less stress, not to mention trying to sort out the best diet which alleviated the symptoms, would be of help.

I certainly didn't think that after reading my post people would suddenly take up smoking and drinking red wine.

Not that it makes any difference, but for the record, my liver function tests are good (kidney tests also) and fairly regular screening shows no problems with lungs or associated bits and pieces. Having discussed much with my doctor over the years, he did advise me to cut down on the red wine, so now it's more like three glasses a night and as regards the smoking, his words were something along the lines of, "well I have to tell you that it is not good for you, however if you are having around three cigarettes per night, and you don't inhale (which I don't), then I doubt whether it will do you any harm".

As far as I am concerned you do not have to appease others , whatever are your little pleasures is your business and I would never criticise another man's habits . Each to their own . With regards to the wine you are conservative on your intake . The smoking aspect will always attract criticism and we know we shouldnt do it but once again its your choice and from what you say it is  negligible . BTW I know 2  doctors In the UK and 1 is a regular 4 pints a night man and the other  a regular whiskey drinker and smoker . They both go jogging every day and play golf .   I better not post my habits cos they are a lot heavier than yours and the snipers would have a field day .

• 5 months later...

Hello, is it true that eating meals at regular time and having a more organized life can help with these problems ? It seems pure BS for me as I know many people having a "perfect life" (in a medical way( but still having these reflux problems...

9 minutes ago, BsBs said:

Hello, is it true that eating meals at regular time and having a more organized life can help with these problems ? It seems pure BS for me as I know many people having a "perfect life" (in a medical way( but still having these reflux problems...

Reflux can be controlled by medication. If, however, it can be controlled by modifying one's eating and drinking habits, then that is a preferable course of action.

Most medications have side effects. For example, I was on anti-inflammatories for years due to osteo-arthritis of the lower spine. I learned how to do without them, and as a result my blood pressure medication became more effective.

I don't get reflux anymore. I make sure the last food I eat is at least 3 hours before I go to bed.

Actually the usual medication given (omeprazole and other PPIs) do not control reflux, they just render it less uncomfortable by making the gastric fluid less acidic. There are some down sides to this, and it can be very hard to get off these meds.

Lifestyle modifications -- especially weight loss  and eating smaller amounts at a time, and not lying down for several hours after eating - can help reduce the frequency of reflux.

In another thread one of our members reported getting relief from Airess, an herbal preparation sold in 7-11s and other places that supposedly reduces gas formation.

I've tried it myself and seems to work for me too. No idea how, but it does.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Actually the usual medication given (omeprazole and other PPIs) do not control reflux, they just render it less uncomfortable by making the gastric fluid less acidic. There are some down sides to this, and it can be very hard to get off these meds.

Lifestyle modifications -- especially weight loss  and eating smaller amounts at a time, and not lying down for several hours after eating - can help reduce the frequency of reflux.

In another thread one of our members reported getting relief from Airess, an herbal preparation sold in 7-11s and other places that supposedly reduces gas formation.

Sorry what is this airess ? how does it look ? I will try it ! thank you so much !

On 6/27/2017 at 5:39 PM, TonyClifton said:

With that said, we humans didn't evolve eating potato chips and pretzels.  We consumed meat and vegetables.

But we also lived to the ripe old age of 30, if we were lucky. 

Evolution did zilch to prepare us to live beyond child propagating age.  I'm not saying potato chips (crisps to our cousins across the pond) are a good idea (I'd be 5kg lighter if they'd never been invented).  But there's a lot of artificial reasons we're living to 80-90 years of age nowadays, balanced by other artificial things that make sure Big Pharma gets their pound of flesh from us because they get us addicted, and then they can do horrible things to us.

1 hour ago, BsBs said:

Sorry what is this airess ? how does it look ? I will try it ! thank you so much !

http://sandm.co.th/en/shop/handy-herb-airess/

Has picture.

The 7-11s all carry it, but in small single packets (2 capsules, 10 baht each). It is in the section with the herbal candies etc.

It is just a mixture of herbs t(tumeric, cinnamon, nutmeg and coriander) that are supposed to help with gas, but it has helped several people's reflux including mine- presumably because gas can increase stomach pressure and hence reflux.

If you are at all overweight, weight loss will do wonders for this problem.

My brother was diagnosed with GERD a few years ago and he started with pantoprazole , his problems are completely gone and the doctor told him he should take them for the rest of his life. No side effects . 

3 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Sorry Sheryl, but the sole task of PPI's is actually to control the amount of acid produced in the stomach, not just to make it less acidic.

After an unsuccessful Nissens Fundoplication op back in the 80's i have taken PPI successfully since that time every single morning ,and am blessed ,without any obvious side effects.

My reflux was so bad that if i bent over i would have acid in my mouth.

If i do not take one {miracid i am using in Thailand] with breakfast, i will have extreme reflux symptoms by midday.

15 hours ago, BsBs said:

There are lots of things that can help with this condition, but the sad fact is that doctors don't REALLY know the exact cause and if you look at the information readily available you will see that there are many "suspects" put forward as to why reflux happens and the terminology always includes the words "may", "can be", "believed to cause" and so on, as in the following: –

"There are a few things that are believed to cause GERD:

·         1. Being overweight, slouching, smoking, drinking, and having a generally poor lifestyle.

·         2. Hiatal hernia, pregnancy, diabetes, very fast gaining of weight, and other medical conditions.

·         3. Eating immediately before sleeping, as well as eating meals that are too large.

·         4. Having a diet that is rich in onions, garlic, fatty foods, spicy stuff, caffeinated drinks, citrus, etc.

·         5. Certain medications, such as nitrates, antihistamines, and calcium channel blockers.

What this one doesn't mention is the fact that stress can be a contributor, and also that the oesophageal sphincter can become less effective over time, and indeed this can happen even in younger people. The oesophageal sphincter can be weakened by the "usual suspects" – – alcohol, smoking, drinking hot fluids etc as well as the ravages of time, and this allows stomach acid and enzymes to get through it and into the more delicate oesophageal tissue

With some people certain foods can trigger it and my trigger foods are red capsicums, onions, strong coffee and believe it or not, basil pesto! I don't seem to have any problems with my alcohol intake (red wine mostly) or the occasional cigarette!

My condition was pretty severe and did result in Barrett's oesophagus, which could be termed as a "potential precancerous situation" and my major change was in my working environment, which was hugely stressful, so I gave it away, sold everything and came here! In addition to this I took omeprazole and this worked very well and for a short period of time was on triazolam to cut down on stress and anxiety and also to help me sleep.

This combination worked extremely well and I rarely suffer from it now. One thing to add is that I wasn't keen on staying on omeprazole for the rest of my life, so I tried something natural, called d-limonene (capsule form) which was recommended by a friend because it had worked for him, and it worked for me, just taking 10 capsules over a 20 day period and I was free of it for anything between six months to a year, with just the very occasional two or three day ingestion of omeprazole. I will add that the original capsules were made by a company called Life Extension and they worked well, however they stopped producing them and substitutes haven't worked quite as well.

In a nutshell, try all of the things which are usually recommended by your doctor and have a good look at your lifestyle. I noticed that someone mentioned they'd had a nissen fundoplication and a pharmacist friend of mine who had done no end of research on his severe reflux, finally succumbed to this operation, however it was of no use whatsoever, so beware that in his words, this should be the last thing to try, and then only as a last resort.

Edited by xylophone

1 hour ago, xylophone said:
There are lots of things that can help with this condition, but the sad fact is that doctors don't REALLY know the exact cause and if you look at the information readily available you will see that there are many "suspects" put forward as to why reflux happens and the terminology always includes the words "may", "can be", "believed to cause" and so on, as in the following: –

"There are a few things that are believed to cause GERD:

·         1. Being overweight, slouching, smoking, drinking, and having a generally poor lifestyle.

·         2. Hiatal hernia, pregnancy, diabetes, very fast gaining of weight, and other medical conditions.

·         3. Eating immediately before sleeping, as well as eating meals that are too large.

·         4. Having a diet that is rich in onions, garlic, fatty foods, spicy stuff, caffeinated drinks, citrus, etc.

·         5. Certain medications, such as nitrates, antihistamines, and calcium channel blockers.

What this one doesn't mention is the fact that stress can be a contributor, and also that the oesophageal sphincter can become less effective over time, and indeed this can happen even in younger people. The oesophageal sphincter can be weakened by the "usual suspects" – – alcohol, smoking, drinking hot fluids etc as well as the ravages of time, and this allows stomach acid and enzymes to get through it and into the more delicate oesophageal tissue

With some people certain foods can trigger it and my trigger foods are red capsicums, onions, strong coffee and believe it or not, basil pesto! I don't seem to have any problems with my alcohol intake (red wine mostly) or the occasional cigarette!

My condition was pretty severe and did result in Barrett's oesophagus, which could be termed as a "potential precancerous situation" and my major change was in my working environment, which was hugely stressful, so I gave it away, sold everything and came here! In addition to this I took omeprazole and this worked very well and for a short period of time was on triazolam to cut down on stress and anxiety and also to help me sleep.

This combination worked extremely well and I rarely suffer from it now. One thing to add is that I wasn't keen on staying on omeprazole for the rest of my life, so I tried something natural, called d-limonene (capsule form) which was recommended by a friend because it had worked for him, and it worked for me, just taking 10 capsules over a 20 day period and I was free of it for anything between six months to a year, with just the very occasional two or three day ingestion of omeprazole. I will add that the original capsules were made by a company called Life Extension and they worked well, however they stopped producing them and substitutes haven't worked quite as well.

In a nutshell, try all of the things which are usually recommended by your doctor and have a good look at your lifestyle. I noticed that someone mentioned they'd had a nissen fundoplication and a pharmacist friend of mine who had done no end of research on his severe reflux, finally succumbed to this operation, however it was of no use whatsoever, so beware that in his words, this should be the last thing to try, and then only as a last resort.

So many variables involved in reflux issues.

As you say the Nissen Fundiplication should indeed be a last resort, as it was in my case, but as i said it was not successful,and created more problems than it solved.

Back in the eighties, it was open surgery and not,as is now laparoscopic surgery and i ended up badly infected and a two night stay ended up 6 weeks in hospital and a lot of time in ICU>

One omeprazol daily for 30 years now and no ill effects.

I found that sucking on one Tums or Rolaids - calcium carbonate - when I had it would usually make it go away. I had friends bring them from overseas. Another help for me is using a small amount of coconut oil in my coffee - 1 tsp. It stops it from being acidic and does not bother my stomach at all, even on an empty stomach. Coffee use to really bother me. My reflux has gone away pretty much completely without drugs over a period of time.

20 hours ago, jamieoutlook said:

One omeprazol daily for 30 years now and no ill effects.

Like you, I've been taking PPI's pretty much since they came on the market, and before that Famotidine and Cimetidine (H2 blockers I think).  Looking at the available literature, I'd amend your comment about side effects to indicate that the side effects are nowhere near bad enough to stop me from taking them.  I'd have thrown myself under a bus decades ago if there was no relief from the 24/7 heartburn.  But there are side effects, and some of them are insidious, sneaking up after years or decades.

That said, my heart guy recently had me try another alternative PPI that seemed to work a little bit better than the Miracid and doesn't interact with my heart meds like Omeprazole.  But I gave up on it simply because it wasn't as widely available, and Miracid can be purchased in every tiny pharmacy in Thailand.  Sorry I don't recall the name.  If anyone's interested, post back and I'll dig through my Samitivej receipts.