Patong - The Wake

Patong2

42 minutes ago, Psimbo said:

Hab snip:

people don't want to hang around that late to get laid.

Agreed and who’s ever made a sound decision about any lass when it’s 1:30am and you’re staring at the world through a well-oiled set of beer goggles? A note about those apps; has anyone here seen a profile photo that matches the date that actually turns up? ????

• Haha 2

Agreed and who’s ever made a sound decision about any lass when it’s 1:30am and you’re staring at the world through a well-oiled set of beer goggles? A note about those apps; has anyone here seen a profile photo that matches the date that actually turns up? [emoji1781]
Usually they are fairly representative of their profile. But these work nicely for the mongerer: no barfine, no lady drinks, anytime of the day, and you don't have to leave your hotel.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

A note of caution to posters.

Please remain on topic and do not discuss prostitution, as per forum rules.

17) You will not discuss the specifics of prostitution. Though Thailand has a visible sex industry, and acknowledgement of that fact is not forbidden, ThaiVisa is not the place to seek or give information on this topic, regardless of your sexual habits, preferences or orientation.

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, Psimbo said:

TAT is British slang for 'crap' and with reason. They skew their stats on a regular basis to the point that they are farcical.

Taking on other people's points about the girls. With the advent of Thaifriendly and Tinder the girls are more savvy now and realise they don't have to sit around in a grotty beer bar all night to make some cash- this is part of the reason the bars are on their ersses. I know a girl that works off these sites and takes 2 clients a day, an afternooner and an early evening usually- she's made her cash and is happy. She can then get on with life for the rest of the night.

With the discos you have this crazy situation that freelancers don't even go out til about 0130 in the morning, part of the reason i have always advocated that the nightlife in Phuket needs to start earlier, not later,  and close earlier as it does in other parts of Thailand. people don't want to hang around that late to get laid.

"With the advent of Thaifriendly and Tinder the girls are more savvy now and realize they don't have to sit around in a grotty beer bar all night" - good point, Psimbo.  WeChat is another popular pick up app. 

I have often said, these apps have become somewhat of a "digital disruptor" in the "bar girl" / bar trade here.  

If you have a look at these apps, you will see there are women from many different countries "working" here, with very little chance of being arrested. 

I can only see these apps gaining in popularity with working girls in the future. 

Edited by NamKangMan

1 minute ago, NamKangMan said:

"With the advent of Thaifriendly and Tinder the girls are more savvy now and realize they don't have to sit around in a grotty beer bar all night" - good point, Psimbo.  WeChat is another popular pick up app. 

I have often said, these apps have become somewhat of a "digital disruptor" in the sex / bar trade here.  

If you have a look at these apps, you will see there are women from many different countries "working" here, with very little chance of being arrested. 

I can only see these apps gaining in popularity with working girls in the future. 

Hey guys remember what the Mod Leungken has said..............treading on dangerous ground here perhaps!!

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Hey guys remember what the Mod Leungken has said..............treading on dangerous ground here perhaps!!

I didn't think what I posted breached forum rules, but if have since taken the "s*x" word out and used the words "bar girl." 

Other sectors have been "disrupted" by technology.  Eg. taxi, accommodation, currency etc. (Uber / AirBnB / BitCoin)

I see no harm in discussing, within forum rules, how a people within a certain "occupation" in Thailand are making use of these apps.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Psimbo said:

With the discos you have this crazy situation that freelancers don't even go out til about 0130 in the morning, part of the reason i have always advocated that the nightlife in Phuket needs to start earlier, not later,  and close earlier as it does in other parts of Thailand. people don't want to hang around that late to get laid.

generally a younger crowd out at 1.30am - maybe thats what these girls are looking for? tip still the same i suppose!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 7:57 PM, GeorgeCross said:

generally a younger crowd out at 1.30am - maybe thats what these girls are looking for? tip still the same i suppose!

Whilst the "tip" may still be the same, I doubt the demographic of younger male tourists, frequenting the night clubs on their holiday, will be taking any of these girl back to their home country, which used to be the ultimate goal of a young Thai girls going to the night clubs.

33 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Whilst the "tip" may still be the same, I doubt the demographic of younger male tourists, frequenting the night clubs on their holiday, will be taking any of these girl back to their home country, which used to be the ultimate goal of a young Thai girls going to the night clubs.

Not only because of age of customers in clubs but also harder for the guy to lie to himself about what she really is when comparing  a club freelancer vs a bar girl.

Have noticed over last few months girls who went the club route dont seem to be striking it "lucky" where bar girls still seem to be at sponsored to go home at same rate. And when you consider the club girls generally seem to younger/better looking/better english than bar girls thats an interesting difference. 

26 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Happy to see this topic still alive.

Happy to report that all our Patong apartments have been 100% full, for the past 3 months + now have a waiting list.

So much for the 'wake' 

Yeah ton of people here, good for business like yours, though any buisness thats discretionary (bars and mid end restaurants ect) seem to be having horrible high season. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Happy to see this topic still alive.

Happy to report that all our Patong apartments have been 100% full, for the past 3 months + now have a waiting list.

So much for the 'wake' 

Good to hear Lik although many folks would say it has been tough over the past year, and I think that included you at one time, and I think it's a very mixed bag all in all and this latest "upsurge" may be a temporary blip or maybe leading onto greener pastures, who knows.

I do know that last night out and about, Bangla was crowded, but not as much as it has been in other high seasons, the bars with bands catering for the younger set were full, but the single bars catering for the older style patrons, weren't particularly bustling, although part of Soi Sea Dragon was busy and the other part wasn't as – go figure?

I did mention on another thread that my favourite restaurant was full, and to expand upon that, the restaurant opposite, although not full was doing very good business, and a couple of restaurants just up the road were almost full. Having said that none of them were what we would call "top end" restaurants, but in my opinion do offer good value for money.

What was very obvious from the passing foot traffic was that the demographic, as has often been said, has definitely shifted to the younger set.

Outside of that, a couple of bars near me have been struggling terribly, and one seems to be in the process of being "remodelled", not that you could do much with it with the small space, and I doubt it would make any money, whilst two very small bars just a stones throw away are also having a tough time with lack of patronage.

The large hotel opposite me which has a huge dining area which is never used (no customers) would appear to be struggling although the owner/family is responsible for a very famous "brand"/name in Patong with other premises, however lack of customers and a very large upkeep (I would think) has resulted in rumours about the finances.

Patong will always be "something to somebody" but perhaps not the high-end resort type which were originally envisaged for this place, more so the everyday traveller, the backpacker and lo-so/budget holidaymakers from you know where.

So to quote a line from a song from Journey, which I sing in Red Hot, "some will win, some will lose, some are going to sing the blues, oh the movie goes on, and on, and on..........".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xylophone said:

Good to hear Lik although many folks would say it has been tough over the past year, and I think that included you at one time, and I think it's a very mixed bag all in all and this latest "upsurge" may be a temporary blip or maybe leading onto greener pastures, who knows.

<snip>

Yes. it is a very mixed bag. We just won out right now. NKM ... so much for our 'dead' assets .... ????

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

Yes. it is a very mixed bag. We just won out right now. NKM ... so much for our 'dead' assets .... ????

Steady on LIK.  It was YOU who used the term "dead" assets, not me. 

I was merely pointing out that in relation to property, if it's not earning, and it's not appreciating in value, and it's costing in fees, taxes, maintenance etc, then what have you got? 

I suggested, not the windfall that many here seem to think they will be leaving there spouse, upon their demise. 

Your situation is different.  Your properties are your business.  I was more referring to the "when I die the missus gets the place" brigade.  My question still remains to those people, what, exactly, do you think you are leaving?" If it can't be sold, even at a fire sale, and can't be rented out, what have you got???? 

I congratulate you on your occupancy rate.  I believe you run a good operation, so it's only right you should reap the fruits of your labor.  

The fact these properties are in Patong is interesting.  I always said, Mayor Keesin cleaned up, either way.  If your accommodation was in Patong, fair chance he had a financial interest in the property you were staying at.  If your accommodation was not in Patong, he picked up "transport fees" when you came into Patong for night out.  Either way, he got your money.

LIK, due to the transport situation here, is it possible your Patong properties are well located to take advantage of the transport problem here?  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lashay said:

Not only because of age of customers in clubs but also harder for the guy to lie to himself about what she really is when comparing  a club freelancer vs a bar girl.

Have noticed over last few months girls who went the club route dont seem to be striking it "lucky" where bar girls still seem to be at sponsored to go home at same rate. And when you consider the club girls generally seem to younger/better looking/better english than bar girls thats an interesting difference. 

Yeah ton of people here, good for business like yours, though any buisness thats discretionary (bars and mid end restaurants ect) seem to be having horrible high season. 

I was more focusing on the nationality of the younger guys in the night clubs, not their age.

I have no statistics to back this up, but, I would not be surprised if the girls running off the phone apps. Eg. WeChat, are getting more customers than the club girls, and bar girls, particularly with some of the ridiculous "bar fine" prices being asked.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

My question still remains to those people, what, exactly, do you think you are leaving?" If it can't be sold, even at a fire sale, and can't be rented out, what have you got???? 

Everything has a price and can be sold and/or leased out(unless it is a toxic waste site.)

The “wives” will end-up with a house to live in for free, or a house earning rental income, or they can sell it and use the proceeds to buy a house and/or land in cheaper locations.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 6:53 PM, xylophone said:

The large hotel opposite me which has a huge dining area which is never used (no customers) would appear to be struggling although the owner/family is responsible for a very famous "brand"/name in Patong with other premises, however lack of customers and a very large upkeep (I would think) has resulted in rumours about the finances.

I've always suspected that hotel/restaurant wasn't built to cater to customers. Seems an ideal enterprise for tidying up extra cash. How many years now, and I've yet to see a single customer in the large restaurant.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Mysterion said:

Everything has a price and can be sold and/or leased out(unless it is a toxic waste site.)

The “wives” will end-up with a house to live in for free, or a house earning rental income, or they can sell it and use the proceeds to buy a house and/or land in cheaper locations.

I agree with you, but not entirely. 

Market forces, supply v demand, dictate prices in the market. 

Occasionally, there is an out of line sale, where someone pays over the market value, due to sentiment.  There used to some of these buyers on Phuket, but they are now long gone.

It's well known there is an oversupply of property here, and they keep building more. 

Economics 101 dictates that when supply is low, demand is high, thus pushing prices up.  When supply is high, demand is low, thus pushing prices down. 

Could a widow sell at a fire sale price - probably.  I have a question for you.  What "hit" do YOU think she would have to take in order to liquidate within 90 days?  Serious question.  

Given many of the "wives" are from Issan, I would would suggest they would move back home upon their partner's demise, so living in a Phuket property would probably not be an option.  

Renting it out is also a possibility, but with management fees, taxes, maintenance etc - hardly the windfall they expected to be bequeathed to them, and it must be remembered, with all the new properties being built,  it's a race to the bottom to secure a long term tenant.  Rents just keep going down.  I know I haven't had a rent rise in 3 years, which doesn't even keep up with inflation.  

So, not wanting to reside in the property, selling at fire sale, rents being pushed down - where is the windfall for the "wives?"  What, exactly, is being left behind for them?

17 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Renting it out is also a possibility, but with management fees, taxes, maintenance etc - hardly the windfall they expected to be bequeathed to them

Taxes, management fees and maintenance? This is an Issan wife we're talking about! The entire cost of that lot will be around zero baht!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

Taxes, management fees and maintenance? This is an Issan wife we're talking about! The entire cost of that lot will be around zero baht!

I do detect the humor in your post. 

So, old farang hubby dies, she contacts an agent and instructs them to sell the property quickly, and if they can't, to find a tenant.

She then heads back to Issan to be with her family, with not a baht in her pocket from the property.

The agent can't find a buyer, or a tenant, so the place sits derelict.

I'm quite sure there are many places already like this here.   

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, schlog said:

<snip>

I personaly know not only 1 women who came to Phuket 20-30 years ago and are in this situation.

They would no way move to Isaan. For what? They happy here and have more money then most and want no dusty hot life in a isaan village.

Bravo ... Well stated. No way my wife is leaving Phuket. And she is from southern Thailand. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

Bravo ... Well stated. No way my wife is leaving Phuket. And she is from southern Thailand. 

Agree LiK, as with schlog, our experiences are light years away from the bubble that NKM lives in and his social circle.

• Like 2

@ LIK, pagallim and schlog.

Geeze, it's you guys that live in your own little bubbles.  You think every post I submit is directed at YOU, and your own personal circumstances.  I am posting IN GENERAL.  No need to take anything personally.

Ok, so your spouses were not hookers or gold diggers.  Good for you.  Yes, bravo, bravo, bravo.  I would never take either as a partner, but at least I don't look down upon those who have.  They have their reasons for doing so, and their reasons are none of my business, although I suggest psychology has more to do with it than libido.  

Now, tell me you don't look around and see the "relationships" I am talking about.  Do you deny they exist?  Do you deny they are in great numbers in Thailand?  Do you think you are all living somewhere far removed from the Thailand sex trade????  Phuket is not Kensington - London, for example.  You will be in the queue at the supermarket with these people, and their partners, whether or like it, or not.  Get over it.

I am sure you have been to a social function where you meet a new couple, and you can tell straight away what their relationship is all about.  I bet you don't walk out in disgust, yet, you are happy to beat your chest on TV, whilst personally attacking me, claiming to be elitist.   

You have all been here long enough to know that many have taken Issan girls as brides.  Hell, even AirAsia created the Phuket - Udon - Phuket route, just for this demographic.  

So, back to the point, when farang hubby dies, and no longer is around to pay all the bills, what do you think will become of these properties. 

NOTE: the focus is on the property, not the relationship.  GOT IT????

@@ schlog - that's a condo, apartment, small house, not a 50 million baht mansion. YOU GOT THAT?

I am talking about your regular geezer with a girl from Issan, and yes, there are thousands of them here. 

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, schlog said:

Why should she want to sale?

Having property 10-50 million baht worth, why you think she will have no cash?

I personaly know not only 1 women who came to Phuket 20-30 years ago and are in this situation.

They would no way move to Isaan. For what? They happy here and have more money then most and want no dusty hot life in a isaan village.

Yes, that's your typical Thai / Farang couple - with a 50 million baht property.  ????

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Actually, Chalong, but regardless, both places offer more quality than Patong for sure.

Chalong.  ????????

You've got some well to do farang down there.  Not a hooker, or ex-hooker in sight, in Chalong.  ????????

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Chalong.  ????????

You've got some well to do farang down there.  Not a hooker, or ex-hooker in sight, in Chalong.  ????????

Indeed you do NKM, some of the highest priced property on the island in Chalong, but that's immaterial.   As mentioned previously, yes there are some who's partner's background maybe is not something they would want broadcast, but that's equally the case in any part of the world.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1