Patong - The Wake

Patong2

not sure how he will get anything to the refugees that are allowed into Thailand, ( not all are and many seem to be stuck in NO mans land or even forced back)  as even aid agencies are NOT allowed contact with them..

more info on their plight

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/karen-refugees-flee-repeated-myanmar-military-airstrikes-thailand.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/hundreds-flee-military-to-thailand-myanmar-border-region/ar-BB1eYaDf

Edited by zzzzz

I read bars are closed till 18 Apr, only illuzion disco is closed for two weeks from today - they have been bad boys...! ???? 

To be fair discos can have a lot larger number of people in them than a bar, so more danger of super-spreading the virus....

41 minutes ago, Agusts said:

I read bars are closed till 18 Apr, only illuzion disco is closed for two weeks from today - they have been bad boys...!

I think all bars are closed in Patong. at least the 3 people I know running a bar there are.

1 hour ago, Susco said:

I think all bars are closed in Patong. at least the 3 people I know running a bar there are.

Of course they are, in all of Phuket not just Patong..., I was just mentioning the re-opening planned date, it's 9 days for bars, 14 days for illuzion and the other two big venues ...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, zzzzz said:

not sure how he will get anything to the refugees that are allowed into Thailand, ( not all are and many seem to be stuck in NO mans land or even forced back)  as even aid agencies are NOT allowed contact with them..

more info on their plight

https://www.irrawaddy.com/news/burma/karen-refugees-flee-repeated-myanmar-military-airstrikes-thailand.html

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/hundreds-flee-military-to-thailand-myanmar-border-region/ar-BB1eYaDf

Apparently the Thai Red Cross have been helping those stuck in camps etc, and he sends donations and the occasional truckload of donated goods to their location on the border.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

I think there will be an explosion of cases after Songkran with everyone travelling all over the country. So i think there may be more lockdowns/closures to come.

Sir, a reasonable assumption but the situation in Lalaland could be more complicated as reliable data pertaining to actual vaccine roll-out and death figures are fudged to suit a political agenda. The media everywhere can/do influence the way of populist thinking of the majority of the great unwashed to sell copy. If there is an improvement in the figures and there are any signs of the story losing momentum, they will rush to find a way to whip up the fear and hysteria again to keep the train rolling and sell more copy, truth or lies.

A Thai friend of many years was giving me her opinion on the vaccination. She is an intelligent professional person with a good job in Bangkok. I told her that I had the jab and was she having hers. She said that she’d read in the news that there could be very bad side effects from the jab and that she was happy just to wear a mask. Good grief, I mused, but I knew any attempts to point out certain other facts would fall on deaf ears. Herd mentality versus herd vaccination…hmmmm, a proverbial rock and a hard place.

Meanwhile, here in UK almost 32 million vaccine doses have been given and I know many that have already had the 2nd jab. A few interesting related notes here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56663969

From 12/04/2021 there will be a relaxing of lockdown rules in England that will mean the re-opening of what was considered non-essential businesses (Pubs, restaurants etc.) but distancing rules still in place. Good news for the traders that have managed to avoid slipping under the waves and losing their businesses. How this relaxation will affect those in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland I don’t know as all the news today is mainly on the death of the Queen’s husband, the Duke of Edinburgh. 73 years married – got to be up there with the record length. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess until masses of locals and visitors alike are immunised it’s going to be slim pickings.

I’ve had 1 jab, my Thai wife doesn’t seem interested though… I reminded her that she won’t be able to go back without it… I’ve got a bit more work to do there I think.

At present we have no plans to come over, but a family illness would change that pretty darn quick I’d imagine.

Which is why I want her fully immunised so as she’s ready to go.

Edited by HighPriority
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

I guess until masses of locals and visitors alike are immunised it’s going to be slim pickings.

I’ve had 1 jab, my Thai wife doesn’t seem interested though… I reminded her that she won’t be able to go back without it… I’ve got a bit more work to do there I think.

At present we have no plans to come over, but a family illness would change that pretty darn quick I’d imagine.

Which is why I want her fully immunised so as she’s ready to go.

Completing your 2 jabs does not mean you are immune to COVID-19.  It means when infected after your jabs, you are less likely to be seriously ill or die.  The trend now is most countries are asking visitors flying in to be vaccinated.  Even that they are still asking for negative PCR test results before flying.  Undergo quarantine on arrival and be tested again before you are free to travel around the country.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kopitiam said:

Completing your 2 jabs does not mean you are immune to COVID-19.  It means when infected after your jabs, you are less likely to be seriously ill or die.  The trend now is most countries are asking visitors flying in to be vaccinated.  Even that they are still asking for negative PCR test results before flying.  Undergo quarantine on arrival and be tested again before you are free to travel around the country.

Yes, let’s swap out immunised for vaccinated.

I think once we are looking at 80%+ vaccination rates of locals and tourists international travel will be slightly less onerous.

1 hour ago, HighPriority said:

Yes, let’s swap out immunised for vaccinated.

I think once we are looking at 80%+ vaccination rates of locals and tourists international travel will be slightly less onerous.

I don't mean to criticise.  But using the right term is important to avoid misinformation.  Just like renewing an extension of stay and not renewing a visa.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, schlog said:

Welcome sandboxlers to patong.

Saw some the last days on beach road. Each time maybe 5-10 sandboxlers outnumbered by 100 taxi, tuktuk and minibus bloodsuckers. 

Yesterday saw how a sandboxler learned it the hard way that no traffic rules excist in patong since 15 months while he was hit by a car on his rented wave. Only patong residents know the new normal driving rules in patong.

Sandboxlers living a dagerous life here. Once again a big chance was missed to regulate the taxi, minibus, tuktuk and the traffic rules in the last 15 month. But it's obvious that the boys in power like always only care for the quick baht and don't waste a thought about next week. TiT.

To be honest those in power certainly have heard about Phuket's taxi and traffic woes 1,000s and 1,000s of times in the last 20 years... There have been countless news stories of taxi drivers behaving badly...

The only reason  to not change things is they like the taxi and traffic situation just the way it has been for the last 20 years......There can be no other explanation....

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 4:49 PM, xylophone said:

Well the powers that be are certainly hoping so, and the July 1 "opening" along with the Navy docking in Patong (or is it Phuket?) will bolster their hopes, although the days when Bangla was flooded with semen seamen are long gone, however it conjures up thoughts of hordes of ladyboys lining Bangla saying, "hello sailor"!

There are some optimists out there, because there are currently five bars undergoing construction/renovation in Nanai Road alone, and a long-time friend and her business partner have opened a small massage shop, where another one failed just months ago, and next to that someone is opening a tea and coffee shop, where a bar previously failed.

Other small business owners whom I know, are struggling badly and are looking to the horizon for hope, although from all I keep reading, which changes from day to day, the numbers originally anticipated have fallen quite markedly.

I sincerely hope that the optimism of the owners of the new establishments opening up, is repaid, as Patong could really do with it.

IMO, for what it's worth, places like Patong and Pattaya need to fail utterly, and be completely reborn as something better. Unfortunately I doubt it will happen- when Phi Phi was destroyed by the tsunami they just rebuilt the same <deleted> but IMO even worse than before.

IMO it's just not Thainess to learn from disaster and create something better from the ashes, ie it worked before, so it should work again. Pity, as it used to be great before greed took over and the smile departed.

For example, when I see other SEA countries on the tv news, their infrastructure seems far and away superior to the third rate infrastructure I see in LOS eg the Pattaya beach promenade is IMO rubbish. Even little Phrao has a better lakeside promenade.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Agusts said:

A lot more activities in Patong today and last few days, more souvenir shops opened, more of massage and salons and restaurants and so on, also some bars opened, but shhhhh...., don't tell anyone...555...!

The beach is very lively today , and last night had a few people mingling about at a few restaurants now bars along the beach. The Bangla road entertainment venues are still closed as far as I know, I think they operate under their own association and can't go ahead and open individually...

And I saw today a lot more men in brown also loitering around looking for a victim....lol, come on, can't take a joke...555...!

Let's just hope their is no outbreak to put a stop to it all, maybe more will open soon with official order hopefully and we go back to how it was "last" year ....! ! ! 

But the taxi mafia again want 1000 and nobody has sorted that? Goodbye....

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Agusts said:

A lot more activities in Patong today and last few days, more souvenir shops opened, more of massage and salons and restaurants and so on, also some bars opened, but shhhhh...., don't tell anyone...555...!

The beach is very lively today , and last night had a few people mingling about at a few restaurants now bars along the beach. The Bangla road entertainment venues are still closed as far as I know, I think they operate under their own association and can't go ahead and open individually...

And I saw today a lot more men in brown also loitering around looking for a victim....lol, come on, can't take a joke...555...!

Let's just hope their is no outbreak to put a stop to it all, maybe more will open soon with official order hopefully and we go back to how it was "last" year ....! ! ! 

what do you mean with men in brown?? some clowns checking people wearing the mask??

• Sad 1

Agreed, It's a start... What I really have really noticed is the speed with which the dirty tub-tuks have showed up, all within a weeks time, now clogging "my" formerly deserted Beach Road. The number of tub-tuks probably exceeds the number of foreign visitors by a factor of 2or3 to 1.... They all came crawling out from under their damp rocks as if somebody sounded the trumpets... hope they all starve.

Also seeing a noticeable increase in the number of BiB's. They must be hungry too.

Edited by Mai mee
  • Like 2