Some observations

Wilso

So I've just spent 10 days in Thailand (my 10th trip), and will be returning for 14 more in a couple of days -I'm in Hong Kong at the moment. Firstly road safety. Despite what I've read on these forums, the only change I've seen is the availability of seat belts in the back seat of taxis. Cars still routinely drive at twice the posted speed limit. Motorcycles are still making they're own rules and as many riders don't wear helmets as do. 

In Thailand I expect to be harassed by various vendors, and for the most part, I accept it. I realise they're fighting to make a living. But in Phuket, i was almost slapped in the face by signs for ping pong shows while walking hand-in-hand with my 9-year-old daughter. Would Thai people think this was acceptable for their own children? Fair enough if I was walking alone. And on the issue of vendors, I think if a seafood restaurant can charge you 2000 baht for a lobster dinner (which ultimately is no cheaper than at home), I should be able to enjoy it without being harassed every 5 minutes by people hawking every piece of junk under the sun. I love Thailand (I married one of it's citizens) but it can get under even my skin at times.

I agree with the issue of restaurants charging THB 2000,-- for a meal for 2!!....As a principle, would never set foot in such a place in Thailand that tries to play the get global crap scam that all the nations in the world play and raise prices!!....

People are attracted to Thailand for the quality of the food at low prices...should these prices raise, tourist money will flock elsewhere, but there will always be fools who will pay such exorbitant costs that is not worth the money!!

I was walking through Bangla road with my wife and daughter. There were plenty of other families. Or maybe you'd prefer families stopped going to Thailand at all, and it existed purely for sex tourists?

2000 baht was just for my lobster. 1kg at 200 baht per 100 grams. The other 5 people at the table came to 1300 baht combined. I knew it was going to be expensive, and accepted it as a one off indulgence that I won't repeat, but the constant interruptions got to be tiresome to the point that for the first time in 10 trips, I actually snapped at one of the hawkers.

59 minutes ago, Wilso said:

Firstly road safety. Despite what I've read on these forums, the only change I've seen is the availability of seat belts in the back seat of taxis. Cars still routinely drive at twice the posted speed limit

I have being coming to Thailand for the past 15 years and I have seen great improvement.

I cant Talk about all Thailand but in my neck of the woods there are cameras for speeding and  traffic lights all over the place. IMO it has made a big difference.

No disrespect to places like Puckett and other tourist places but IMO these places are not Thailand but a commercial version, not unlike many places in the world with similar venues . 

IMO if you want to enjoy what Puckett has to offer you need to be prepared for all it has to offer and make effort to avoid that which does not suit you.

Puckett is not created only for you and your needs.

But I understand your frustration.

Wilso  Welcome to TV, this a forum for people to exchange ideas, comment on other peoples posts etc.

Not a place for gutter language, it takes all sorts, some people  agree with you some dont, please be nice to others and they will be nice to you.

Edited by colinneil

35 minutes ago, Wilso said:

I was walking through Bangla road with my wife and daughter. There were plenty of other families. Or maybe you'd prefer families stopped going to Thailand at all, and it existed purely for sex tourists?

No Wilso but it's widely known the area is not too family friendly at certain times and there is plenty of other places where you could have gone to which were the opposite of your experiences. Tarring thailand on the basis of one road. I guess HK is the same everywhere as chunking mansions.

53 minutes ago, Wilso said:

Bangla road is the prostitute area, not a family with young children area. There are loads of places in Thailand were you can go as a family without hookers.

Bangla road is the prostitute area, not a family with young children area. There are loads of places in Thailand were you can go as a family without hookers.

Bangla was but not anymore except up some side alleys. Loads of kids and prams and families going between Jungceylon and the Beach. Was much different 15 years or more ago

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

54 minutes ago, Othello said:

Bangla was but not anymore except up some side alleys. Loads of kids and prams and families going between Jungceylon and the Beach. Was much different 15 years or more ago

"Loads of kids and prams and families going between Jungceylon and the Beach"  doesn't mean the hookers are gone.

7 hours ago, Othello said:

And? Not saying that... in the old days the topless bars had the girls and l b's in your face when u walked by!

Up till at least 4 years ago, now you still have the guys with the pictures. It still isn't a kids area.

Edited by FritsSikkink

Thailand is a diverse place with many choices...

It was your choice of what street to walk down - your choice of where to eat... hopefully with some more experience here you will become more adept at choices. 

We live in Central Thailand, but I have managed to visit Phuket and Pattaya w/wife and kids and stay out of red light districts and enjoy the beach, resort, restaurants and have a pleasant family oriented holiday. 

It is a tourist hub that is famous for some of the clientele it brings in. What did you expect? 

Surely if you have been travelling here for so long and your wife is a citizen, then you would be aware of where and where not to visit. There are many places in Thailand where you are not stopped every minute, where you do not pay ridiculous amounts for food and where you are not confronted with 'adult entertainment' advertising.

Would be like going to Syria and complaining there were bombs going off all around you and spoiling your holiday. 

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

I have being coming to Thailand for the past 15 years and I have seen great improvement.

I cant Talk about all Thailand but in my neck of the woods there are cameras for speeding and  traffic lights all over the place. IMO it has made a big difference.

No disrespect to places like Puckett and other tourist places but IMO these places are not Thailand but a commercial version, not unlike many places in the world with similar venues . 

IMO if you want to enjoy what Puckett has to offer you need to be prepared for all it has to offer and make effort to avoid that which does not suit you.

Coming to Thailand for 15 years and still hasn't learned how to spell Phuket :cheesy::unsure:. Amazing. And we accuse Thais of living in a bubble.....

Harassed by vendors? Maybe in Nana...

Vendors in most non-tourist places are very much non-harassing. In local markets you may even need to wake them up or wait for them to stop eating their noodles before they kindly sell you a ma muang.

10 day visits to tourist traps seldom allow for any meaningful observations.

Edited by shadowofacloud

Go to the many places where they will not let the hawkers in,,, I agree they are annoying.

You want to eat "painted Cray" you know u will pay for it (overrated anyway)

Bangla is an adult entertainment street, not for kids in the evening

16 hours ago, sirineou said:

Phuket 

17 hours ago, colinneil said:

Wilso  Welcome to TV, this a forum for people to exchange ideas, comment on other peoples posts etc.

Not a place for gutter language, it takes all sorts, some people  agree with you some dont, please be nice to others and they will be nice to you.

Gutter language? Did I miss a post?

Are you for real? Walking with your 9 year old daugther in an area that sells sex shows. It´s either perverted or you were out drinking in bars with your daugther. Which is same irresponsible.

Seems like you only can see wrong with Thailand, when you actually are the one that makes the biggest mistake.

Edited by Get Real