Heavy rains forecast nationwide

webfact

Heavy rains forecast nationwide

BANGKOK, 26 June 2017 (NNT) – Heavy rains are forecast across the entire nation this week with floods already reported in areas of the northeast. 

An extended bout of rain in Nakhon Ratchasima province resulted in inundation in several areas with authorities pointing out the situation was exacerbated due to garbage clogging drain pipes. Some roads in urban areas are submerged under 30 centimeters of water with pot holes allowing flooding up to 50 centimeters. The roads are no longer able to be driven by personal vehicles with traffic building up across the province. 

The Meteorological Department has reported storms and thundershowers will be seen in all regions until June 28, warning citizens to be wary at this time. 

In Bangkok, Deputy Governor Chakkaphan Piewngam has inspected the construction of a concrete dam near Wat Ladprao, finding that it has progressed considerably and should be complete by the end of July. The completion will be followed by a dredging of the dam’s waterway. 

The city is accelerated the construction of other dams along Khlong Ladprao but some contractors have pointed out drain pipes and power lines are impeding their work. Once the dams are in place, expected in December this year, communities encroaching on the canal will be spoken to so that they will leave the area.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-06-26

" Some roads in urban areas are submerged under 30 centimeters of water with pot holes allowing flooding up to 50 centimeters. The roads are no longer able to be driven by personal vehicles "

Methinks that roads with 20cm deep potholes were already unable to be driven by personal vehicles before the rain started.

3 hours ago, MaxLee said:

So there you have an upcoming Megaflood of 2017, wanna bet?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Max

I am not sure where you live as that may affect you but from the standpoint of the Rangsit areas I can tell you that we are looking a lot better than we die then.

The canals have been dredged the banks are walled and the side canals have been shored up.

Whjile I have no doubt there will be some flooding here I do not see it reaching the levels that it did then.

With all the money that businesses and airlines have put into DM the last thing they want is to turn it into a big lake again.

I'm not so sure that we will avoid the flooding of 2011-12 again. SOME work has been done on Infrastructure, but here in the North-east, the fish ponds are already full (usually still need another metre at this time of year) and we still have the wettest 3 months to go. Bangkok has some problems and they have even longer before the rains die away. Just depends where the rain will fall, but we can be sure some areas will have a hard time.

On ‎26‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, fruitman said:

It's time to buy an SUV with huge wheels.

Like a HummVee with heavy steel plating underneath. Or if you have a large family even a Chinese troop carrier like the PM's boys are getting. But that might be an overkill.