Video: Every motorcyclist's worst nightmare - the dreaded car door opens....

webfact

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:17 AM, canuckamuck said:

I am always worried when I open a car door from the driver's side here. More worried for the motorcyclists than myself. I always try to open slow and have a good look before I open it far enough for me to get out. But sometimes you forget and then you think about what you might have done to someone if they had been unable to avoid you.

This seems to be a case of reckless speeding though. The door was open long enough to be seen. I feel bad for the car driver.

I have to disagree, somewhat.

The driver parked too far away from the kerb, and he wasn't looking back when he got out to see if anything was coming. The m'bike would have been seen in the door rv mirror before he opened it. The responsibility is with the person opening the door to make sure it is safe to do so.

The bike rider was at fault for riding too fast and not being prepared to take evasive action. Whenever I was riding past parked cars I always expected some idiot to open their door without looking first and rode accordingly.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, bazza73 said:

Look at the video. There is a road marking visible which indicates there were TWO lanes apart from the scooter lane available to the bike rider, which he chose not to use, at high speed. You're saying the motorbike rider is not at fault.

Your attitude to other road users explains why 80% of road fatalities in Thailand  are on two-wheeled vehicles.

Don't the cops fine people for riding in the overtaking lane?

BTW, the car would appear to be parked in the scooter lane.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

6 hours ago, chrissables said:

I am not bleating you stupid idiot, but replying to a message you sent and giving an example.

I'll let other posters on this thread decide who is stupid. Meantime, I suggest you Google the word "tautology".

Hopefully some more facts will come to light...

but as the car was in the motorcycle  lane , and

motorcyclists there don't look far beyond their front tyre...

I'd add that it's highly likely he didn't even see the car itself until too late, (the very speed is a hint)

and swerved around to miss, and the driver gets hit by his curved ball from countering his over corrections...

he was going to hit the car anyway?

22 hours ago, chrissables said:

The car driver open his door into the motorbikes lane, not the pavement. He was wrong to do so.

Are you suggesting the driver should have climbed across into the passenger seat before exiting the vehicle? If not, how could he open the door into the pavement?

22 hours ago, losworld said:

Passenger did nothing wrong he exited slowly as well. 

Which is one reason the passenger is not hurt. The driver on the other hand ...

On 6/28/2017 at 11:42 AM, littlepe said:

Exactly, its called hazard awareness and is taught and tested in many countries.  Allow for the worse to happen cos it will one day.  Drive with sufficient room from parked cars so that even if they suddenly open a door - you will not hit it.  How many times do you see bike riders skimming alongside parked vehicles with implicit faith that they will not open a door - crazy and unnecessary.

That sound nice in theory and I do that whenever possible when riding my bike. But had a accident here where the car was parked half in the road,  two motorbikes driving besides each other coming face on, also half in my lane so no space for me to keep the 3 feet distance. On top of that the driver of the car was sitting inside for 20 minutes already (saleseman doing some paper work) and then suddenly opened the door a split second before I passed him. Helmet and slow speed saved my life.

On 30/06/2017 at 5:25 PM, longtom said:

That sound nice in theory and I do that whenever possible when riding my bike. But had a accident here where the car was parked half in the road,  two motorbikes driving besides each other coming face on, also half in my lane so no space for me to keep the 3 feet distance. On top of that the driver of the car was sitting inside for 20 minutes already (saleseman doing some paper work) and then suddenly opened the door a split second before I passed him. Helmet and slow speed saved my life.

You're travelling on your bike past a car. How do you know (a) the car driver was a salesman (b) he's doing paperwork (c) he's been in the car for 20 minutes? Do you have psychic powers?

37 minutes ago, bazza73 said:

You're travelling on your bike past a car. How do you know (a) the car driver was a salesman (b) he's doing paperwork (c) he's been in the car for 20 minutes? Do you have psychic powers?

The salesman volunteered the information after being thumped a time or two

It would appear that the bikers posting are blaming the car driver and visa versa, imho

I think the bike must take most of the responsibility for this stupid accident, the car

driver not being entirely blameless. Having said that I have lost count of the number of

times I have had to make a last second swerve to avoid hitting an idiots door on opening,

not only endangering me and the idiot but the traffic behind and alongside me, in my CAR.

I dare say the stars of this video will not be repeating this performance anytime soon. At 

least I hope not???

On 27.06.2017 at 11:21 PM, fruitman said:

This door is opened properly, if they do it fast it's the passengers' fault but in this case it's the motocy's fault.

I am tempted to say it's the farang's fault, if the RTP is called, not matter what, where or when!??...or am I wrong?

Asian roads are notorious for motor bikes being dangerously ridden by unlicensed, underage, speeding juveniles. As such, drivers side doors should only ever be opened after first THOROUGHLY checking it is safe to do so. The car driver caused this accident to happen. Case closed.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 7/1/2017 at 5:16 PM, bazza73 said:

Because I was sitting at my workplace outside as usual,  and the accident happened 30 meters from there, the car was in my line of sight for 20 minutes. After the accident, while still bleeding profusely,  I talked to the man and the shop owner who I know well. Satisfied? Or do you need  a picture?

Edited by longtom

Clearly the Bike driver was not thinking and was riding too fast  ..too... use caution as well as the passenger existing the car... LOOK... But that is not the mindset of the passenger, it is more, I'm here, now move...

5 hours ago, longtom said:

Because I was sitting at my workplace outside as usual,  and the accident happened 30 meters from there, the car was in my line of sight for 20 minutes. After the accident, while still bleeding profusely,  I talked to the man and the shop owner who I know well. Satisfied? Or do you need  a picture?

Why were you bleeding profusely

Not sure if you're winding me up here. :tongue:

Cut my middle finger about 1 inch deep, right through the nail and further. Sounds like nothing but was bleeding like a pig for one hour, plus the finger looks kinda funny now. Btw the guy was paler than me,  at least he was aware what he did. . Plus other damage of course, but I think we're going a bit off-topic here .