Coins thrown into plane engine by elderly passenger for 'luck'

webfact

Coins thrown into plane engine by elderly passenger for 'luck'

A superstitious elderly passenger delayed a flight in Shanghai after throwing coins at the engine for good luck, a Chinese airline has confirmed.

The 80-year-old woman threw her change at the China Southern Airlines flight as she crossed the tarmac to board.

She told police she launched the coins as she "prayed for safety" on Tuesday. Of the nine coins launched, only one hit its intended target - but this was enough to force the evacuation of 150 passengers for several hours.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40421811

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-06-28

44 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I would have thought it unnecessary to explain that a planes engine is not a wishing well, but apparently gross stupidity is alive and well.

I have no idea where you live... but I envy you.

that is not what I experience everyday.... this level of ignorance is quite normal.  I would bet that if more everyday folks had access to the airplanes to do this.... there would be plenty of coin tossers even after stories like this one.. in fact, more likely..... more of these just because of the story

.... not to get publicity... oh my gosh.....but because they say "hey! that sounds like a good idea"...... and as to whatever else they are told, such as how a jet engine works.... is just some gobbledook put out by "intellectuals" or just more of the same old "nonsense" they hear and see everyday...

....but the coin tossing sounds like a good idea. 

and fun.

Edited by maewang99

56 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I would have thought it unnecessary to explain that a planes engine is not a wishing well, but apparently gross stupidity is alive and well.

Remember, this is the new traveling demographic that has mandated airlines revise their whole pre-flight safety briefing to specifically advise against opening the oxygen mask compartment doors and even the emergency exits.

Last week, I flew Vietnam Airlines out of Bangkok for the first time in about 8 months and as an emergency exit row seat occupant, I was advised by a rather serious looking flight attendant that under no circumstances was I to try and open the door at all. Ever. This was never mentioned in the previous years flying them 3 or 4 times a year. I guess their increased Chinese passenger load has dictated this.

AirAsia famously captioned their entry into LC flying as "Now everyone can fly" to which I quickly added, "...but I wish half this lot had stuck to the bus instead."

5 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Remember, this is the new traveling demographic that has mandated airlines revise their whole pre-flight safety briefing to specifically advise against opening the oxygen mask compartment doors and even the emergency exits.

Last week, I flew Vietnam Airlines out of Bangkok for the first time in about 8 months and as an emergency exit row seat occupant, I was advised by a rather serious looking flight attendant that under no circumstances was I to try and open the door at all. Ever. This was never mentioned in the previous years flying them 3 or 4 times a year. I guess their increased Chinese passenger load has dictated this.

AirAsia famously captioned their entry into LC flying as "Now everyone can fly" to which I quickly added, "...but I wish half this lot had stuck to the bus instead."

I made quite a few internal flight in China between 2005 2007, I recall phones ringing during take off, people calling other people during take off, people sitting in what seat they liked and having to get a hostess to turf them out, ridiculous amounts of hand luggage . A panel covering the airvents and lights fell off during a flight and the "Taped" it back up. Scrum down and pushing in on boarding and check in, all in all a nightmare. To this day I try to avoid flying in Asia during CNY.

I haven't seen any report of the plane crashing after the delay. So it is fair to say that the old lady's wishes have worked. Who knows what misfortunate the flight would have had otherwise. 

We'll soon see some locals throwing amulets in the engine for good luck :-)

3 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I made quite a few internal flight in China between 2005 2007, I recall phones ringing during take off, people calling other people during take off, people sitting in what seat they liked and having to get a hostess to turf them out, ridiculous amounts of hand luggage . A panel covering the airvents and lights fell off during a flight and the "Taped" it back up. Scrum down and pushing in on boarding and check in, all in all a nightmare. To this day I try to avoid flying in Asia during CNY.

Ignorance is everywhere, some ladies talking, one shares that her son was a soldier in the Vietnam war, her friend says 'did he get a week-end in Paris'? 

4 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Chinese and Filipinos seem to have absolutely no concept of what acceptable cabin baggage is. 

I took the attached photo at Utapao last year, and i kid you not...this was one Chinese womans carry on baggage, 9 bags!!!!!!

What is just as mystifying is why do the airline staff allow it!!

Chinese duty free at Utapao.jpg

6 minutes ago, LennyW said:

Chinese and Filipinos seem to have absolutely no concept of what acceptable cabin baggage is. 

I took the attached photo at Utapao last year, and i kid you not...this was one Chinese womans carry on baggage, 9 bags!!!!!!

She certainly loves her duty free!

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Of the nine coins launched, only one hit its intended target - but this was enough to force the evacuation of 150 passengers for several hours.

I know from gas turbines that if there's any doubt about fod the machine is not started until there has been a borescope inspection.

7 hours ago, Dave67 said:

Luxury!

When I flew CAAC (China's only civil airline back in the early 80's) domestically, there were boarding passes that just had consecutive numbers. When you got a number  bigger than 100 for the An-24, it came with a steel frame, folding chair that the last 25 passengers carried onboard and placed one behind the other in the aisle, making 5 abreast, no-aisle seating. Totally safe as they ran a chain the length of the aisle that ran over the bottom crossbar of the folding chairs and was padlocked to the first and last rows of regular seats. No in flight service of course.

Edited by NanLaew

4 hours ago, LennyW said:

Yes that is a little off the chart

47 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Well thought out, just how the hell would she have got out on the wing at 35,000 feet?

Don't be silly, she would have just rolled the window down!

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Ignorance is everywhere, some ladies talking, one shares that her son was a soldier in the Vietnam war, her friend says 'did he get a week-end in Paris'? 

No, some of the girls did though

I always touch the outside of the plane with my hand before I enter , call me superstitious., it worked so far.  Anyway a small coin will not do a lot of damage to a big engine . But a big bird will .