exchange rate and my pensions.

'They' tease me every 28 days. I watch the mid rate every week and in the two weeks before my pensions are due it slowly climbs by a couple of baht to the pound and then on the last two days before my money arrives it drops again.

Who are 'they' and where can I find them?

Signed

Mr Angry of Mayfair.

Well, take your pension into your UK bank account and keep it accumulating there until rates are good. Then when the rates are good transfer it to your Thai bank account. Not that hard really if you put a bit of common sense thinking into how to solve that problem.

Edited by bbi1

If I went back to UK by the time I had been there long enough to get utility bills in my name and all the other bits required to open a bank account I would probably have spent a lot more than I would gain. I wish it was as simple as you suggest. 

At the moment I don't pay transfer fees either and with a UK account I would.

Anyway it was meant to be a light-hearted comment on the rates..

Edited by overherebc

The Pound Sterling needed a degree of devaluation against USD prior to Brexit. Perhaps as much as 5%.

The vote to leave Europe exacerbated this by some 10%.

There are signs that now, with talk of interest rates being increased and with a 'softer' approach to the negotiations with the 27 seemingly being applied, that it's value is not only stabilising but increasing slowly. It hit 1.30 last week.

This trend is likely to continue but is fragile due to the weakness and vulnerability of the Conservative Government.

The comparative strength of Sterling to the USD usually has some bearing on the £/baht relationship in the overall picture.

Expect, therefore, the value of your UK pension to gradually increase over the coming months but it is unlikely to reach the pre-Brexit heights for quite some time, if ever. A lot depends on the deal with Europe though.

It is of some surprise to some that with the impending exit from the European Union, a very, very uncertain government, rock bottom interest rates and falling growth rates that the £ is actually not much lower in the World markets. This is, in a way, cause for optimism. 

It would take a collapse of the Thai economy or massive political unrest in the country for us to return to the barmy exchange rates we benefited from around the turning of the century. This awful Junta has succeeded in bringing some stability to the country and it's economy at least.

Edited by Beechboy

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Last two weeks it's slowly gone up 42 to 44, mid rate. One pension due this friday so now it's starting to drop again.

Cancelled extra beer (1) this week

???

Cancelling beer is not an option it's up to 44 again.  :thumbsup:

On 7/1/2017 at 6:13 AM, bbi1 said:

Not that hard really if you put a bit of common sense thinking into how to solve that problem.

For all UK pensioners, did you really that through.  :laugh: :biggrin:

On 7/1/2017 at 7:01 AM, overherebc said:

If I went back to UK by the time I had been there long enough to get utility bills in my name and all the other bits required to open a bank account I would probably have spent a lot more than I would gain. I wish it was as simple as you suggest. 

I think he was assuming that you were already maintaining a UK bank account into which you could direct & hold your pension before transferring to Thailand when exchange rates improved.. Surely you have some account for money. I'm pretty sure most farang have kept an account in their home country.

Of course this makes the optimistic assumption that the exchange rate for the GBP will improve rather than continue to sink.

34 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

did you really that through

Say what now?

Edited by Suradit69

On 01/07/2017 at 7:01 AM, overherebc said:

I am in a similar position as you are.

If you ever find out who "They" are please let me know and I will see if "The Management" could help us out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CiGUMQZUgU

6 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Or Foxie to his girlfriend's mom.

Mums can be unconsciously funny. 

I can remember mine going to the latest hairdresser to open as the first Unisex place in the town, 70's, and telling everyone she had been to the Bi-sex hairdresser.

She was in fact quite accurate with her mistake in the name.

If you live in Mayfair- I can't imagine you would have to worry too much? 

My view on the world is- worry about things you have some control over- what to have for dinner- does the dog need to go to the vet- does the lawn need cutting. 

Simple things in life.

The exchange rates- you have no control.

So don't have sleepless nights - just go with the flow ( and I know I too have taken a real hit on my UK pensions )

it just means you have to change from a single malt to Red Label- I hope 

56 minutes ago, Jonnapat said:

Know the feeling, exchange rate always rises the week after my quarterly payment.

Brexit means I've lost a small fortune  over the past 12 months 

Yeah the UK should of changed to Euro so we could all be so well off like Italy, Spain & Portugal.  :laugh:

On 6/30/2017 at 2:45 PM, overherebc said:

Who are 'they' and where can I find them?

Seem like we are chasing the same unhappy Exchange-rate Ghosts – consider to offer them a "money house" in return for a steady currency rate, of course just like it once was – look forward to again to be able to afford decent life-style...

MoneyHouse.jpg

On ‎1‎-‎7‎-‎2017 at 1:13 AM, bbi1 said:

Well, take your pension into your UK bank account and keep it accumulating there until rates are good. Then when the rates are good transfer it to your Thai bank account. Not that hard really if you put a bit of common sense thinking into how to solve that problem.

Well said  not winge do it  i do the same store wait exchange 10000quid is sometimes 30000baht difference when baht changes

1 hour ago, mikecha said:

Well said  not winge do it  i do the same store wait exchange 10000quid is sometimes 30000baht difference when baht changes

Have some of you noticed this thread is not really serious???

I put it in Pub and Entertainment for Gawd's sake !!!!

If a lot of expats stopped taking themselves so seriously then maybe they would realise that not a lot of people take them as seriously as they think.

Might not post for a day or two as We will be in BKK sorting out the sale of 3 Condos.

Now, am I serious or joking?

????

On ‎1‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 7:01 AM, overherebc said:

Most of us realised that but you know how some just cannot help themselves.  I don't know if you have internet banking but this is how I send whatever money I need to Thailand and as I am from Oz, I send it in Aus. $'s that why I don't get ripped of by the banks poor exchange rates.:wai:

2 minutes ago, Si Thea01 said:

Most of us realised that but you know how some just cannot help themselves.  I don't know if you have internet banking but this is how I send whatever money I need to Thailand and as I am from Oz, I send it in Aus. $'s that why I don't get ripped of by the banks poor exchange rates.:wai:

Please read my last post.

????

1 hour ago, mikecha said:

I usually wait a couple of months more until it's a 1,000.000 quid,  my UK bank gives me a better rate then. :whistling: