The poisonous Brother in Law

Rc2702

4 minutes ago, rhodie said:

Just get out of there mate. A downward spiral if ever I saw one. You will soon smell the roses and realise that there is a life. Good luck and it would be good if you could start your own thread on "The road to recovery". :)

You know rhode old son I might just do that once I escape the poisonous web I am entrapped in.

• Like 1

Just now, The Dark Lord said:

Just trying to show that my former stressed up high pressure life and its demise was happier than the  anticipated but never achieved stress free hasstle free drift along the river of peace to the end life existence I planned for out here. 

Was my post not clear or are you just you just trying to piss me off?

No. This discourse is obviously therapeutic for yourself and others similarly challenged. Sorry if it came across any other way.

Just now, NanLaew said:

No. This discourse is obviously therapeutic for yourself and others similarly challenged. Sorry if it came across any other way.

No no nanliew old chum, it was entirely my bad. Probably being a little bit sensitive right now. Pride taken a hit, emotions all at cross purposes. It is like  what was said a little earlier on this thread, still love the woman but basically cannot live with her. I know she will suffer badly once I withdraw my support but should I feel guilty?

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

It illustrates that The Black One is not a loser who ows all his misfortunes to himself.

Thanks old hippy dude, nanliew was not being manevolent it is his writing style which is fantastic but can occasionally be misread. 

Certainly no meanness intended i am sure. 

2 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

No no nanliew old chum, it was entirely my bad. Probably being a little bit sensitive right now. Pride taken a hit, emotions all at cross purposes. It is like  what was said a little earlier on this thread, still love the woman but basically cannot live with her. I know she will suffer badly once I withdraw my support but should I feel guilty?

Feeling guilty for the suffering that others bring on to themselves is possibly the result of our christian upbringing.

I am 100% atheist, (raised in a christian country), but feel the same towards my wife.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago we were in the pick-up driving near Phon Phasai. Not a busy road but concreted and with electricity. A guy on a motorbike was towing a blue cart full of pineapples. I was about 50 metres behind him when the cart got into a wobble, turned over, and sent the pineapples flying. I stopped the pick-up and went to help him sort out his wares.

After a minute or so a lady - who I guess was working in the field - also came to help.

Five minutes later he was back on his way. I didn't ask for anything. I just wanted to help the guy.

When I got back into the pick-up the wife went absolutely bananas.

Why did you do that? He was drunk!? You saw the lady and you were butterfly eye?

We got home and I still kept up my stance of not responding. I just couldn't understand the problem. Anyway that night I slept at the farm in the pick up just to get away from the agro'.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

Feeling guilty for the suffering that others bring on to themselves is possibly the result of our christian upbringing.

I am 100% atheist, (raised in a christian country), but feel the same towards my wife.

Hey old hippy dude, this religion crapola really is a downer eh?

why should I feel so much potential guilt even though I am the victim and she brought this on herself? I mean it is not as if I had not told her repeatedly in the past  and it is her making the somewhat less than polite requests for me to vacate the premesis. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

As The Dark Lord admits...

12 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

... still love the woman but basically cannot live with her ...

As long as there's still love, there will be despair. Horrible situation to be in but if there's no obvious medical or mental condition that is preventing one's partner from seeing your love AND your pain, then one must do what is right for you. 

I find listening to Alex Lester on the radio to be very soothing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A couple of years ago we were in the pick-up driving near Phon Phasai. Not a busy road but concreted and with electricity. A guy on a motorbike was towing a blue cart full of pineapples. I was about 50 metres behind him when the cart got into a wobble, turned over, and sent the pineapples flying. I stopped the pick-up and went to help him sort out his wares.

After a minute or so a lady - who I guess was working in the field - also came to help.

Five minutes later he was back on his way. I didn't ask for anything. I just wanted to help the guy.

When I got back into the pick-up the wife went absolutely bananas.

Why did you do that? He was drunk!? You saw the lady and you were butterfly eye?

We got home and I still kept up my stance of not responding. I just couldn't understand the problem. Anyway that night I slept at the farm in the pick up just to get away from the agro'.

Hi Wise Owl, I read your anecdote and am sorry I let out an involuntary chuckle. 

Why do they do it? 

I have discussed numerous times with the soon to be former mrs DL the stupidity if using terror to obtain compliance.

We have discussed sensibly and calmly  the ch 3 "girl fancies other girls boyfriend, creates temper tantrum and fails scenario" several times but it did not go in and stay in. 

It seems the thai man who beats his wife then, in utter frustration buggers off leaving her with spawn and no money may just be as much a victim of the "Issan crazy" as we are. 

Obviously the beatings don't work but by the same token neither do the kind ways. 

They seem to be be hell bent on self destruction and very slowly I am adjusting to a position of acceptance that she can go ahead and self destruct and I will do my utmost not to feel in anyway guilty or sorry. 

I am appalled that I just wrote that but let's face facts we are actually suffering from abuse by them ..

yes i I said the word!

teansfer the behaviour when "the Issan crazy" takes over and apply it to a kid, another woman, an animal and most posters would state ABUSE! 

Why not here?

Edited by The Dark Lord
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, owl sees all said:

Yes! Me too. 

A have a 7 year old daughter and I am trying to bridge the gap between the wife's version of Buddhism and my atheism.

I consistently tell her; 'do unto others as you would like done to you,' (not always in those words).

She is gradually understanding what I'm talking about and I can see in her actions that she is growing into a beautiful, loving person. It fills me with pride to see it.

Yes about time that we farangs start to teach Thais some basic buddhist principles 555.

PS. I'm only joking, or maybe I am not.

Inspite of all her thainess, my wife recently said: "buddha is in the heart, not in the wat" and - "I believe what I see".

She seldom goes to the wat, yet spent 160.000 + 70.000 (envelopes) on our son's funeral (a large part of it went to the monks of course).

There is hope, but still a loooooooooong way to go.

For Europeans too, it was a struggle to leave the 19th century behind...

16 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

I seem to remember a story about a British delegation coming to Siam as it was then known, not long after the conquest of Burma,when they returned to Burma or maybe Calcutta he was asked in a de brief what was disscussed,he could only answer he did not really know as he could not ever get a straight answer about anything,and they were in his opinion the most expert liars and prevaricators he had ever met.

Assuming that they had either their own interpreters or interpreters provided by their hosts, it sort of confirms what I said earlier about Thai being a language where context is inferred rather than implicitly stated.

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

Yes! Me too. 

A have a 7 year old daughter and I am trying to bridge the gap between the wife's version of Buddhism and my atheism.

I consistently tell her; 'do unto others as you would like done to you,' (not always in those words).

She is gradually understanding what I'm talking about and I can see in her actions that she is growing into a beautiful, loving person. It fills me with pride to see it.

Wouldn't it be better if you took your daughter out of that situation? You say your wife is jealous of your love for your daughter. I would be concerned about that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I hear you Gary loud and clear.

During calm pensive moments i do get the impression that my wife was shown very little love when she herself was young. Scolding, conflict, arguments and sometimes violence was the norm for her. When I tell my daughter, as I do every night before she goes to sleep, "I love you" I often hear the tut tuts of disapproval.

A lot of these people are very backward (from our standpoint) emotionally. I constantly give my wife freedom to burn-herself-out on some things. I feel often that my disinterest only makes things worse.

If you are a chess player Gary; you would understand the word 'zungwang'. I sometimes think I'm in that position.

"Zugswang"-gosh I haven't heard that term in years.But,yes,bang on.

Where any move you make will only weaken or degrade your position.

At my university club there was a young Russian who was always zugswanging me-and now it has come back to bite me in the posterior.

14 days to go,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

You think Isaan's bad? Better stay the <deleted> away from Buriram then.

I reckon Burriram and Surin just about qualify for Issan. They are the most southerly parts of the Khorat plain so maybe!?

My brother married a Burriram lady and she took him to the cleaners (so to speak) after two kids and 15 years of marriage.. Never been down there. My wife told me once that the reason why Burriram and Surin ladies are so bad is that they don't believe in the right type of Buddhism. Jeez... Coming from her!!!!!!!!!!

As the song goes;

If you want to stay happy all of your life,

Don't make a Burriram lady your wife.

Something like that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I reckon Burriram and Surin just about qualify for Issan. They are the most southerly parts of the Khorat plain so maybe!?

My brother married a Burriram lady and she took him to the cleaners (so to speak) after two kids and 15 years of marriage.. Never been down there. My wife told me once that the reason why Burriram and Surin ladies are so bad is that they don't believe in the right type of Buddhism. Jeez... Coming from her!!!!!!!!!!

As the song goes;

If you want to stay happy all of your life,

Don't make a Burriram lady your wife.

Something like that.

Yes. My Buriram diatribe was based on the less Buddhist, more Shaman, black monk, black magic, jiggery pokery that pervades the eastern periphery of this blighted land. Probably more of Cambodian origin than anything.

Having said that, I have had a couple of Buriram lasses that were absolute rip snorters in the hammock. Between wives that is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes. My Buriram diatribe was based on the less Buddhist, more Shaman, black monk, black magic, jiggery pokery that pervades the eastern periphery of this blighted land. Probably more of Cambodian origin than anything.

Having said that, I have had a couple of Buriram lasses that were absolute rip snorters in the hammock. Between wives that is.

It is the Lao influence up here. Cambodian down there. Probably the Burmese influence the other side. Just makes you wonder what 'Thainess' is really all about. Is it just a mix of other people's stuff they discarded and left behind?

I have heard that the Burriram ladies are special that way. I think that is where the 'Surin spin' originates from. Well not Burriram but that area.

• Like 2