Letter to the Editor: Koh Tao: Legitimate use of Section 44

webfact

Yet another tourist died mysteriously on Koh Tao, south of Thailand

Yet again, the victim happened to be a young attractive female,  travelling alone. By official accounts, seven tourists have died on that island within the last three years. The most infamous of which was the brutal murder and rape of a British couple David Miller and Hannah Witheridge in September 2014.

Same script, just a different victim: a case of suicide or mysterious death, police rushing to close the case, speedy cremation, unreliable police reports, secrecy, lack of witnesses, victim’s parents pleading etc. It is the case of those who know, don’t talk.

To the military junta: If there ever was a legitimate time to invoke Section 44, backed by full public backing, this is it. With Section 44, I strongly encourage the military junta to bring the culprits to justice. Justice delayed is justice denied. Otherwise, I guarantee there will be more deaths and disappearances on the island. By not confronting this and set things right, no one else ever will. If the military don’t deal with this, politicians will certainly not.

Here are my suggestions to the junta:

1. Seek locals’ testimonies by granting them witness protection.

2. Remove the local police officers handling the case.

3. Reward local police officers who whistle blow and apprehend the culprits.

4. Break up the island’s monopolistic power and interests

5. Ask yourself which is more important: Protecting culprits vs protecting Thailand’s reputation as a world-class holiday destination

6. Set the victims’ souls free – those reported and unreported deaths – and do everything in your power to not let more victims die in agony.  

7. Honestly ask yourself, would you let your daughter travel alone, unguarded, on that island?

Edward Kitlertsirivatana

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/sunday/comment_letters/30319727

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-03

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

5. Ask yourself which is more important: Protecting culprits vs protecting Thailand’s reputation as a world-class holiday destination

Gee they seem to have forgot the most important thing. Protecting young people from this killer.and saving lives.

Read somewhere else that police said the Belgian girl had a history of suicide attempts. She apparently attempted one at a railway station here back in April. 

This island needs a good kick up the a***. Time to go in and take out the trash. Unfortunately, it would just be trash removing trash. They've all got dirt on each other. Don't go to Kho Tao. 

A major problem here is that in the event of a proper, full investigation of what has been happening on Koh Tao, the inquiry will almost certainly prove that the two Burmese boys convicted for murder are in fact innocent, ruining two years of denials and showing the Thai legal system for the joke that it is.

Excellent article.

The silence from Bangkok is so blatantly evident, that one wonders in fear just to what degree they will go to in their attempts to quieten and shut these cases down.

Only international the media and condemnation, will bring change...but then, just how high does the influence of these families or groups and the RTP, in the islands reach?

7 deaths of young people on KT in the past 3 years, mostly with very dubious outcomes, should at the least stir some to question what's going on!

The only way to deal with mafia gangs like the one (ones?) on Koh Tao is to completely destroy everything single they have. No pussyfooting about. Using Section 44, the entire island can be instantly declared off-limits and every single structure removed. The mafioso will inevitably protest, which clears the way for instant arrests and seizure of assets and accounts.

There is an evil here and it needs removing permanently.

Edited by Dexlowe
... every single thing ... Now repeat after me, Dex, EVERY SINGLE THING

"5. Ask yourself which is more important: Protecting culprits vs protecting Thailand’s reputation as a world-class holiday destination"

Unfortunately, the PTB view protecting the culprits as protecting Thailand's image and tourist industry. 

Admitting there were dark influences at work on Koh Tao (or elsewhere) would harm tourism in their view. 

IMHO if they faced facts and cleaned up the place they might see larger tourist numbers throughout Thailand in the long term. 

probably shouldn't write this but what the hell. I know tao very well. even had my honey moon there I guess 20 years ago now. have visited regular over the years. I stay for free on tao, always have. i know all all the chumphon original resort owners.  wifes family pretty prominent family in chumphon. when I fly to chumphon and get the bus at the airport I only need to say the family name and i'm dropped on the doorstep. I unlike some on this forum have had a good experience with my thai family and count them as family the same they do to me. getting to the point. when speaking about tao to my father in law who I'm very close to. it's the look in the eye and the way it's said that I can't really explain here. just, VERY BAD PEOPLE, VERY CRAZY, with hand gesture. try to picture that and you're halfway to getting it. everybody knows. lets hope someone finally does something about it. my opinion. I actually think they will. and it's not every death they are responsible for, but some of them for sure

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Read somewhere else that police said the Belgian girl had a history of suicide attempts. She apparently attempted one at a railway station here back in April. 

This island needs a good kick up the a***. Time to go in and take out the trash. Unfortunately, it would just be trash removing trash. They've all got dirt on each other. Don't go to Kho Tao. 

Good idea to also share these events on Facebook with friends, because I know one thing for sure, people pay attention to things like this, and maybe when tourism numbers drop down to zero, "if ever" the island might just become deserted ?

2 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

Excellent article.

The silence from Bangkok is so blatantly evident, that one wonders in fear just to what degree they will go to in their attempts to quieten and shut these cases down.

Only international the media and condemnation, will bring change...but then, just how high does the influence of these families or groups and the RTP, in the islands reach?

7 deaths of young people on KT in the past 3 years, mostly with very dubious outcomes, should at the least stir some to question what's going on!

Take a look at these statistic on how many tourists died in Thailand in 2016, top of the list with 168 were Aussies:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/travel/travel-news/the-most-dangerous-destinations-for-australian-travellers/news-story/3d85dd69dd2345f00e50ba7559639e16

4 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Look like a deflection and the old Blame the Victim game. You should put up where, links or an address to look up, otherwise gentle ThaiVisa posters assume you are posting in a "damage control" mode

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Take a look at these statistic on how many tourists died in Thailand in 2016, top of the list with 168 were Aussies:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/travel/travel-news/the-most-dangerous-destinations-for-australian-travellers/news-story/3d85dd69dd2345f00e50ba7559639e16

I couldn't open the CM link....but you're right....over 100 Aussies die each month overseas.....

Most foreign deaths have a legitimate reason, whether by accident, natural causes, prevailing illnesses, drug abuse and etc......

However, on KT, there always seem to be strangely contradicting reasons....falling off cliffs....suicides and even when anecdotal evidence is known, that also is covered up by often decidedly stupid excuses.

This case (Elise) is one again, that appears to be very controversial.....and as such, still leaves many questions.

Edited by ChrisY1

5 hours ago, rkidlad said:

Its always the police that say it.  Why would a police force trying to cover up a murder be saying that I wonder.

5 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

The only way to deal with mafia gangs like the one (ones?) on Koh Tao is to completely destroy everything single they have. No pussyfooting about. Using Section 44, the entire island can be instantly declared off-limits and every single structure removed. The mafioso will inevitably protest, which clears the way for instant arrests and seizure of assets and accounts.

There is an evil here and it needs removing permanently.

As the government owns all the land on Koh Tao and no land titles have ever been issued there and use of land is only through "Por Thor 5" , it is forbidden by law to erect any permanent structures on the island. All concrete / stone houses and buildings with foundations are illegal.

If the current government's enthusiasm for bulldozing illegal / beachside buildings in other holiday resorts is anything to go by, there is no need to evoke article 44. The good general and his team could virtually level this toxic island to the ground.

THEN pull out the stops with Article 44 and offer permanent re-housing to the arrogant culprits - at The Bangkok Hilton.

2 hours ago, berybert said:

Its always the police that say it.  Why would a police force trying to cover up a murder be saying that I wonder.

The money flows well when one following boss instructions without asking questions...

The bigger the boss, the bigger the cheque.. 

6 hours ago, Happy enough said:

probably shouldn't write this but what the hell. I know tao very well. even had my honey moon there I guess 20 years ago now. have visited regular over the years. I stay for free on tao, always have. i know all all the chumphon original resort owners.  wifes family pretty prominent family in chumphon. when I fly to chumphon and get the bus at the airport I only need to say the family name and i'm dropped on the doorstep. I unlike some on this forum have had a good experience with my thai family and count them as family the same they do to me. getting to the point. when speaking about tao to my father in law who I'm very close to. it's the look in the eye and the way it's said that I can't really explain here. just, VERY BAD PEOPLE, VERY CRAZY, with hand gesture. try to picture that and you're halfway to getting it. everybody knows. lets hope someone finally does something about it. my opinion. I actually think they will. and it's not every death they are responsible for, but some of them for sure

Very good post...

Few points to highlight:

*Everybody knows*

*it's the look in the eye and the way it's said that I can't really explain here. just, VERY BAD PEOPLE, VERY CRAZY, with hand gesture.* 

That last sentence strikes me as also somehow meaning: "untouchable and unspeakable"

This Island seems to be the essence of the CASH, the connections, and the privileges.

Connections must be very very high...

A small island that can make a "military strong man", that just took a full country by force, said what he said in 2014 and congratulate the local police work-force , when *everybody knows*...

Scary connections..

Look like a deflection and the old Blame the Victim game. You should put up where, links or an address to look up, otherwise gentle ThaiVisa posters assume you are posting in a "damage control" mode

You can read the story in the unquottable newspaper. Apparently tried to kill herself on a train and was receiving mental care in Thailand.
Sad story.