Big Brother-like control on social media users in Thailand

webfact

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Hopefully by 2019 we will have a democratically elected Government, who will repeal this bullshit.

In your dreams.  This junta, with Prayut as the long term PM, is in this for the long haul, 20 years minimum.  At least until they come out with the 50 year plan.  Followed, of course, by the 100 year plan. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, dbrenn said:

Don't be so sure. A democratically elected government will only survive if it does as it's told.

Love it!

So much truth from the sarcasm...................:smile:

This has the potential to upset a lot of young educated Thais... I Guess they mitigated this risk by removing some plaque commemorating the 1932 events.

91866-004-0B707093.jpg

Edited by Momofarang
Typo

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Hopefully by 2019 we will have a democratically elected Government, who will repeal this bullshit.

If the next elected government is PT coalition, they will repeal this law and the constitution court will predictably step in and ruled against it. Just like the previous government attempt to change the composition of the senators to fully elected. However if it is the Dem Party coalition government, they will likely to do nothing. 

Will be interesting to hear how the expats who label their home country a "Nanny State"

spin this one.

On the other side,

If Thai's do not stand up & reclaim their country then, They have the govt (or Junta) they deserve

Edited by meechai

1 hour ago, InMyShadow said:

Nope thais don't have the patience. They will March by the thousands streaming in from the country on pick ups, block central BKK shut down airports and then blow up shopping malls

The bib will do nothing as usual as the country descends into lawlessness.

BAM! Coup

Thais reap what they sow

TADA,!

been here for a while...eh... word

3 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Nope thais don't have the patience. They will March by the thousands streaming in from the country on pick ups, block central BKK shut down airports and then blow up shopping malls

The bib will do nothing as usual as the country descends into lawlessness.

BAM! Coup

Thais reap what they sow

TADA,!

Ahh, there's a new breed of TV poster.

Now that its become impossible to defend the Junta on the grounds of they're going to bring and end to corruption and introduce an "improved" democracy ... what's left?

Denigrating Thais

It is a classic tactic of racists and bigots to "judge a nation, a race or any distinct group by its least worthy members".

Junta wants to censor Facebook = Thais deserve coups

Your post says more about you than it does about Thais.

4 hours ago, tartempion said:

Reminds me of defunct Eastern Germany and the STASI.
Furthermore, one should realize that democracy is nowhere in sight, certainly not this decade.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

In your dreams. The Stasi were very well organised.

ironic, many contributors to the forum are melting down over this.

But when it was disclosed that Obama was illegally spying on millions

of Americans many here referred to as having soul, a class act or presidential.

16 minutes ago, jb61 said:

ironic, many contributors to the forum are melting down over this.

But when it was disclosed that Obama was illegally spying on millions

of Americans many here referred to as having soul, a class act or presidential.

:thumbsup:

.....................or they were too busy watching the Kardashians

Seems you have forgotten Tarit and what he did. I guess you also forgot how they went after the brave lady that brought out the figures about the rice program. The PTP is no different than any of them.. once in power they don't listen to any opposing voices and do as they please. They also do whatever they can to silence those voices. 

Umh, there is one difference you have overlooked (although you may not regard it as significant). They allow and participate in elections.

....Why you continue to support the coup and their actions such as this one - censoring social media - is bewildering.

Its quite simple really you know.

he, and several others in his cohort dislike intensely the choice which the Thai people have repeatedly made.

They think they know better, as many of us probably do. But they think that it is preferable that that choice is denied and that a government which is more to their taste is imposed.

Perhaps it could be considered a 21st century manifestation of the "white mans burden? "

42 minutes ago, JAG said:

Umh, there is one difference you have overlooked (although you may not regard it as significant). They allow and participate in elections.

So what ? my point was that they wont repeal this law and will use it too so they keep complete control. I would applaud if they ditched this law (and a few other junta made laws). But IMHO they won't because they like the tools to control people just as much as everyone else.

36 minutes ago, JAG said:

Its quite simple really you know.

he, and several others in his cohort dislike intensely the choice which the Thai people have repeatedly made.

They think they know better, as many of us probably do. But they think that it is preferable that that choice is denied and that a government which is more to their taste is imposed.

Perhaps it could be considered a 21st century manifestation of the "white mans burden? "

Quite simple.. you think you are right.. I think I am right but I don't support all the junta does and have proven that on quite a few occasions. This is again one of those times I certainly don't support this law. You are right I do dislike the PTP and their leaders, but if they are elected and play by the rules.. not abuse them like last time then I don't see any reason why they can't be in government. Then its your turn to defend all the things they come up with and my easy task to shoot them down (always easier to comment then to offer solutions)

Ahh, there's a new breed of TV poster.
Now that its become impossible to defend the Junta on the grounds of they're going to bring and end to corruption and introduce an "improved" democracy ... what's left?
Denigrating Thais
It is a classic tactic of racists and bigots to "judge a nation, a race or any distinct group by its least worthy members".

Junta wants to censor Facebook = Thais deserve coups
Your post says more about you than it does about Thais.

Thais got the government they deserved. They don't understand the very basics of democracy.

Thai style is Oops we lost, time to make bangkok burn.

They need an iron fist to sort them out and this regime is doing it without violence or breaking a sweat

The other option is for the army to pull out and let them descend into a long and bloody civil war!

Whilst many thai bashers would drool at the thought, the majority of thais want peace.

I vote the junta.. Others may vote for civil war but western imposed democracy ain't EVER gonna happen

I rest my case!!

Thais got the government they deserved. They don't understand the very basics of democracy.

They need an iron fist to sort them out and this regime is doing it without violence or breaking a sweat

The other option is for the army to pull out and let them descend into a long and bloody civil war!

Whilst many thai bashers would drool at the thought, the majority of thais want peace.

I vote the junta.. Others may vote for civil war but western imposed democracy ain't EVER gonna happen

I rest my case!!

You haven't made a case.

You have given us your opinion.

Without any coherent arguements to back it up.

32 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

I rest my case!!

How can Thailand descend into a long and bloody civil war when the majority of Thais want peace?

When has Thailand ever been on the brink of civil war?

Which Western countries are trying to impose their version of democracy on Thailand? 

Edited by baboon

33 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

I rest my case!!

The chosen few control what the Thai people get.
Now you really must take off those tunnel vision glasses and look beyond the sugar coated news.

Suggest you take a brief look at Thailand's political history 1930 - 2000 then a little more in depth from 2000 onward.

9 hours ago, robblok said:

Correct.. defamation laws were never amended by either democrats or PTP whoever is in power likes complete control. So no they wont change the laws back they will use it against their political enemies. 

In designing  the constitutions and various laws, the Junta and its allies have been very consistent on two aspects. The first is that they will stay in control whatever the colour of the elected government (if any). The second is that it will be difficult to change laws without their agreement.

So you can be sure the application of the law will be controlled by an appointed body in order to make sure it fits their interest and not that of the PPT.

In case the PPT would want to change the laws, it will not be possible without the agreement of some appointed bodies (and in last recourse: the constitutional court).