Driveway

Hutch68

1 hour ago, kannot said:

I had it for 3  years but it was always temporary until all the other work was done.

My land is mainly stone anyway underneath so no sinking but depends on your subsoil etc.

The stone is CHEAP ,concrete aint.

The stone will move around where wheels go over it regularly and if your  not gentle on the clutch you can get wheelspin, I have a  motorbike also and had to be really careful on it.

Yes that's something to think about as I pop out often late at night to grab a few more beers. I am going with the stone for now and if its not good enough then its concrete. I just like the look of the stone.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, kannot said:

Ive  found it may stop some weeds under the textile but grass seeds would still sprout in the gravel between gravel and textile...............although I guess easy to pull out anyway.

We have a thick grass that grows in some parts of the garden that is impossible to stop... it thrives on fish shit but then again so do our limes.... I will re direct the shit into my new limes and keep the drive poop free.

On 7/6/2017 at 4:16 AM, kannot said:

instead  get polished  concrete like  mine.....no  cracks

20170504_131216-web.jpg

Bebop2_20170508100802+0700.jpg

Does your concrete get a bit slippery on that troweled surface when wet? Did they saw cut or any control joints? Just curious because that's a lot of concrete for no cracks. Very nice driveway & yard!

Curious what you decide on Hutch68. We still have that ahead of us also. Pouring some sidewalk & apron tomorrow. Poured the rear walk using tools from back home. Bull float was homemade (idea from a Crossy post), thanks! Do Home actually caries a curing compound (blew me away). Hardest part is dodging the rain.595edb74468b1_Rearwalk.jpg.c83de8c9bde27cfa0772d62de9af8aed.jpg

My whole yard is modern gray gravel first put down in November 2000.  More gravel has been added time to time and spread with a blade on the front of the tractor and weed control is accomplished with periodic spraying of paraquat from a pump type backpack.

DSC00831.JPG

DSC00832.JPG

38 minutes ago, r136dg said:

Does your concrete get a bit slippery on that troweled surface when wet? Did they saw cut or any control joints? Just curious because that's a lot of concrete for no cracks. Very nice driveway & yard!

Curious what you decide on Hutch68. We still have that ahead of us also. Pouring some sidewalk & apron tomorrow. Poured the rear walk using tools from back home. Bull float was homemade (idea from a Crossy post), thanks! Do Home actually caries a curing compound (blew me away). Hardest part is dodging the rain.595edb74468b1_Rearwalk.jpg.c83de8c9bde27cfa0772d62de9af8aed.jpg

I'm going with the crushed stone. Price wise I think it's 500 baht a ton from the local builders yard but close to town there is a company with huge piles of the stuff so I think it will be cheaper there.

Last Time that I bought it, pee gravel, it was 300 baht/cubic meter, 4 cubic meter minimum.  But that was years ago and the gravel pit is only about 1 kilometer from my house.

12 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

Yes that's something to think about as I pop out often late at night to grab a few more beers. I am going with the stone for now and if its not good enough then its concrete. I just like the look of the stone.

Do start a blow-by-blow thread with photos, this question is asked quite often and a "How To" thread would be a handy reference.

11 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Do start a blow-by-blow thread with photos, this question is asked quite often and a "How To" thread would be a handy reference.

A blow by blow thread on the driveway or a blow by blow thread on riding around a thai village late at night pissed trying to find a shop that's open so I can buy more alcohol?

2 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

A blow by blow thread on the driveway or a blow by blow thread on riding around a thai village late at night pissed trying to find a shop that's open so I can buy more alcohol?

The driveway, you obviously have the  "Riding around a Thai village late at night pissed trying to find a shop that's open so I can buy more alcohol" well under control.

As far as slippery side walks, I brushed my sidewalks and back payio with a heavy bristled push broom just before the concrete set, instant and cheap non slip surface

Yes, concrete does get slippery with age, whether polished or not, due to algae. Pressure cleaning a large surface gets boring after the first few times. There are various other solutions available involving chemical products and/or grit.

My own driveway will get 7cm blocks well cemented in on both sides, meaning less digging, to be filled with gravel about 7cm thick. The geotextile solution isn't absolutely necessary.

Turning spaces will be concreted as this is where most erosion occurs.

I have in the past mixed stones and cement into the mud and the results are convincing. A lot of work though and impossible to make a nice finish..

3 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

I'm going with the crushed stone. Price wise I think it's 500 baht a ton from the local builders yard but close to town there is a company with huge piles of the stuff so I think it will be cheaper there.

I found a nice gravel calculator:

https://www.gravelmaster.co.uk/GravelMasterCalculator.aspx

I need 35 tonnes and at 500 Baht per ton it's 17,500 Baht. Absolutely OK.

(I'm not sure about 5 cm depth; to little?)

Gravel.JPG

30 minutes ago, lj cm said:

I found a nice gravel calculator:

https://www.gravelmaster.co.uk/GravelMasterCalculator.aspx

I need 35 tonnes and at 500 Baht per ton it's 17,500 Baht. Absolutely OK.

(I'm not sure about 5 cm depth; to little?)

Gravel.JPG

Interesting. Around here nobody orders by the ton but by the truck load, (~6M3 I think), difficult to get someone to come with 4.5 truck loads for instance or even just one truck load. Paying ฿2800.- for a load here in Isaan.

Gravel here is sold by the cubic meter not the ton.  I expect that the weight will vary with the size of the gravel, A meter of pea gravel will weigh more than a cubic meter of standard gravel as it will pack better.   There is a quarry about 1 kilometer from me that has all sizes of gravel and also that topping that they have for dirt roads that is packed and then watered.  Hardens almost like concrete, forgot what its called.  They sell all of their products by the cubic meter and have a cubic meter minimum.  One "calibrated" cubic meter is one front loader bucket full.

When I first put mine in I used big gravel and over the year added and spread pea gravel as it packs closer and helps in weed control. 

I have a gravel front yard and driveway, pictured above, and I never hear anybody driving up.  Any noise is drowned out by my seven mutts barking.  Little do the intruders know is that the only danger is that they might be licked to death!

2 hours ago, wayned said:

Gravel here is sold by the cubic meter not the ton.  I expect that the weight will vary with the size of the gravel, A meter of pea gravel will weigh more than a cubic meter of standard gravel as it will pack better.   There is a quarry about 1 kilometer from me that has all sizes of gravel and also that topping that they have for dirt roads that is packed and then watered.  Hardens almost like concrete, forgot what its called.  They sell all of their products by the cubic meter and have a cubic meter minimum.  One "calibrated" cubic meter is one front loader bucket full.

When I first put mine in I used big gravel and over the year added and spread pea gravel as it packs closer and helps in weed control. 

After some thought what I wrote is wrong.  The building supply yards sell the gravel by the cubic meter as they don't have scales, but the gravel pit does sell it by the ton  as they have scales.and the minimum is 4 tons. 1 cubic meter of gravel weighs between 1.5  and 2.0 tons depending on size and how wet it is.  Been a while since I bought some.

3 hours ago, cooked said:

Interesting. Around here nobody orders by the ton but by the truck load, (~6M3 I think), difficult to get someone to come with 4.5 truck loads for instance or even just one truck load. Paying ฿2800.- for a load here in Isaan.

OK; my calculation was just to get some general idea; but if you estimate you get 6 m3 for 2,800 Baht, that would amount to 120 m2, 5 cm deep. That's 30 meters of road 4 meters wide. So for 100 meters, 4 trucks (rounded up) are needed, and the price will be  4 * 2,800 = 11,200 Baht.  That sounds very good (if my calculations are correct!?)

I would like to hear a total price from someone, that has actually done an road/area.     

1 hour ago, lj cm said:

OK; my calculation was just to get some general idea; but if you estimate you get 6 m3 for 2,800 Baht, that would amount to 120 m2, 5 cm deep. That's 30 meters of road 4 meters wide. So for 100 meters, 4 trucks (rounded up) are needed, and the price will be  4 * 2,800 = 11,200 Baht.  That sounds very good (if my calculations are correct!?)

I would like to hear a total price from someone, that has actually done an road/area.     

5cm deep does not sound deep enough to me I would have thought between 10 to 15cm but what do I know, anyone?

3 minutes ago, Hutch68 said:

5cm deep does not sound deep enough to me I would have thought between 10 to 15cm but what do I know, anyone?

The layer of stones serves to separate traffic from wet, unstable subbase. It gets pushed down into the soil and stabilises it.

People have been doing this for thousands of years. A few barrows of stones every year to level out the holes is normal.

Too thick a layer is is disagreeable to walk on and your cr will plough its way through.

As Crossy writes, 5cm is enough.

10 hours ago, wayned said:

Last Time that I bought it, pee gravel, it was 300 baht/cubic meter, 4 cubic meter minimum.  But that was years ago and the gravel pit is only about 1 kilometer from my house.

"pee" gravel is crap for driveways, good for foundations for driveways, it is round edged and therefore non compact-able, this means as a substrate, it allows drainage.

road gravel, or crushed gravel is intended to compact.

1 hour ago, Hutch68 said:

I don't know the exact answer but there is a point where pea gravel gets too soft....More like quicksand than a ground support....Ran into this on a slightly sloping driveway back in the US.....I would think closer to 10cm - possibly about 7cm would be close or the tires could sink or spin down/in.....

Aggregate rock with borders works best.....Larger crushed rock of pushing down into the dirt to lay s driveway for rut protection & traction.....This worked fine in Doi Lo as the earth had a mix of clay that held the rock in place while forming a good driving surface.....Had to spread & add about once a year but kept a nice functional drive with few weeds in the crowned area.....

Plus - the added bonus of  handy rocks to throw if a stray animal or bird, whatever, happened to do something to tick you off.....

12 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

500 bht a ton wheres your local store im on my way LOL more like 500 a cube as they like to call it basicaly a digger shovel full.

3 hours ago, HooHaa said:

yeah that stuff isnt slippery at all when wet.

compared to gravel it sure aint + the advantage of when dry aint slippery at all, motorbikes use slick tyres for this  very reason when racing, more contact to raod surface...................I dont go out on the bike in the rain in ANY country and in a  car its becomes irrelevant wet or dry

4 hours ago, lj cm said:

Your price is about correct, I had 10+  lorry  loads go down under my concrete roads, compacted  by driving over for a few  years before concreting, it was 2200 baht a BIG  lorry  load, must have  been a 8-10 wheeler  tipper. My photo shows  all my roads which were initially stone then ALL concreted

roads.jpg

10 hours ago, HooHaa said:

"pee" gravel is crap for driveways, good for foundations for driveways, it is round edged and therefore non compact-able, this means as a substrate, it allows drainage.

road gravel, or crushed gravel is intended to compact.

My mistake, I should have said "small sized gavel" rather than pee gravel  It has odd shapes just like the larger gravel but is sifted through screens to get smaller sizes. I have regular gravel as a base and then have used the small gravel as filler  as it packs well between the larger grave.  It's worked well for 18 years.

"pea Gravel" is used, at least in the us, in concrete that has to be pumped and does have rounded edges.  Quite frankly I've never seen it here, but haven't looked either.