Duck worker and boy found dead at bottom of well

webfact

Duck worker and boy found dead at bottom of well
By Thanisara Chaowalitroj
The Nation

1100796cce2b17e752bea6f83ab61231.jpeg

KAMPHAENG PHET: -- A duck-rearing worker and a 12-year-old Karen boy were found dead in a 15-metre-deep artesian well in Kham Phaeng Phet’s Khlong Khlung district Saturday night.

Following the 10pm report of the body’s discovery, police and rescue workers found and successfully retrieved the lifeless bodies of Praderm Khongprapan, 48, and a 12-year-old boy identified only as Der from the bottom of the mid-rice field well located 500 metres away from a village. 

Officers suspected that the boy might have climbed down into the well for some reason and Praderm went down to rescue him.

It appears that both died from suffocation due to a lack of oxygen at the bottom of the well. The two bodies were sent for autopsy at the Khlong Khlung Hospital to determine the cause of death.

Praderm’s niece, Kesalin Tatip, 36, told police that she went looking for the duo, who were hired to rear free-range ducks in the area, to serve them dinner. Initially unable to find them, Kesalin looked into the well and saw them lying dead inside. She alerted the village headman and then authorities to retrieve their bodies.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30320287

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-10

1 hour ago, hyku1147 said:

RIP.

I had never considered suffocation risks involved in descending in to deep wells.

Most don't, unfortunately. The problem is that Nitrogen gas (air with the Oxygen depleted) is heavier than the Nitrogen/Oxygen mix (air). So as the oxygen is depleted by biologic use by bacteria or fungus, it won't be replaced and will settle at the bottom.

Exhaust gas from a powered pump/generator is also heavier than air and will flow into the well, displacing the air at the bottom.

3 hours ago, jaywalker said:

RIP to the deceased.....But "Duck Worker"???

Certainly a strange job title for a duck farmer.

I've known a few work duckers. Perhaps a translation error?

Edited by halloween

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

very sad to hear that the boy was just 12 yrs old ....   so young .

he was just helping with the ducks and the ducks got him in the end.

RIP young boy.  you were probably a good boy and will be sadly missed.

+1

3 hours ago, halloween said:

Most don't, unfortunately. The problem is that Nitrogen gas (air with the Oxygen depleted) is heavier than the Nitrogen/Oxygen mix (air). So as the oxygen is depleted by biologic use by bacteria or fungus, it won't be replaced and will settle at the bottom.

Exhaust gas from a powered pump/generator is also heavier than air and will flow into the well, displacing the air at the bottom.

Common killer in such places is actually the Hydrogen Sulfide gas created by rotting matter in mud at the bottom. Stepping in it also increases the release  from the sludge. 

From the US OSHA web site:

It is highly flammable and toxic, even at low concentrations. It is heavier than air and may travel along the ground. It can build up in low-lying areas, and in confined spaces (including enclosed, poorly ventilated areas, such as manure pits, sewers, manholes, and underground vaults).

46 minutes ago, Belzybob said:

Common killer in such places is actually the Hydrogen Sulfide gas created by rotting matter in mud at the bottom. Stepping in it also increases the release  from the sludge. 

From the US OSHA web site:

It is highly flammable and toxic, even at low concentrations. It is heavier than air and may travel along the ground. It can build up in low-lying areas, and in confined spaces (including enclosed, poorly ventilated areas, such as manure pits, sewers, manholes, and underground vaults).

Irrespective of what gas (lack of oxygen) anything below a couple of metres or any confined space is suspect. 

any place below mowing field can create a pit to die in. 

Heavy gasses can stay in it or come into it.

In industry always handled with the most precautions ways, change is bigger there.

BUT never the less even a cellar underneath your house can kill you, depending on what gasses are overthere

or can come in. Heavier gasses, such as H2S,  thrives out the oxygen.    

So be aware you can come out again , before you are going down (2 meanings in it !!)

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

Irrespective of what gas (lack of oxygen) anything below a couple of metres or any confined space is suspect. 

There is a difference between the presence of a lethal gas such as H2S and an oxygen reduced/depleted atmosphere.  Toxic gases such as H2S can be present in an otherwise breathable atmosphere and still kill.

1 hour ago, Belzybob said:

There is a difference between the presence of a lethal gas such as H2S and an oxygen reduced/depleted atmosphere.  Toxic gases such as H2S can be present in an otherwise breathable atmosphere and still kill.

Let's not get too pedantic. As shown there has been quite a number of deaths in the past couple of weeks showing  that many are completely ignorant of the danger irrespective of what gas or otherwise is involved.  

I apologise in advance for this small rant, 

I have been a member of this site for six years plus now. I have seen many, many posts. I have seen posts in good taste, and bad taste. I admit that I have got it wrong on occasion too, I am only human ( allegedly ). However, I do not think I have ever posted a (sic) 'Humourous' post at the expense of a child who has lost a life.

My Son is twelve years old......He is outside now playing football in the garden with his friends and Cousins. I guess some may say he is lucky, and to an extent I would agree with them. He has the benefit of a paid education, shoes on his feet, a shirt on his back, and food on the table every day.  Something the young boy who lost his life probably trying to help support his family did not have.  

I dread to think......No.....I cannot imagine, how It would feel if this tragic accident should befall my Family. 

Please, fellow members, especially those  who posted number 8 and 12, sit back, and think....have some respect for the deceased and his family, and cease posting jokes at his expense.

9 minutes ago, AhFarangJa said:

I apologise in advance for this small rant, 

I have been a member of this site for six years plus now. I have seen many, many posts. I have seen posts in good taste, and bad taste. I admit that I have got it wrong on occasion too, I am only human ( allegedly ). However, I do not think I have ever posted a (sic) 'Humourous' post at the expense of a child who has lost a life.

My Son is twelve years old......He is outside now playing football in the garden with his friends and Cousins. I guess some may say he is lucky, and to an extent I would agree with them. He has the benefit of a paid education, shoes on his feet, a shirt on his back, and food on the table every day.  Something the young boy who lost his life probably trying to help support his family did not have.  

I dread to think......No.....I cannot imagine, how It would feel if this tragic accident should befall my Family. 

Please, fellow members, especially those  who posted number 8 and 12, sit back, and think....have some respect for the deceased and his family, and cease posting jokes at his expense.

Very well put mate, anybody making fun/jokes about such tragic things as a 12 year old boy sadly losing his life should get their mouths washed out with soap, disgusting individuals.

Edited by colinneil

18 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Very well put mate, anybody making fun/jokes about such tragic things as a 12 year old boy sadly losing his life should get their mouths washed out with soap, disgusting individuals.

Only soap? 

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

Let's not get too pedantic. As shown there has been quite a number of deaths in the past couple of weeks showing  that many are completely ignorant of the danger irrespective of what gas or otherwise is involved.  

Not pedantic at all, just correcting a common misconception about unsafe atmospheres. Internet forums far too often give marginally correct or incorrect information that should be corrected.

I will agree that there have been far too many recent incidents in Thailand due to ignorance of the danger.