Another Shinawatra family member most likely to head Pheu Thai Party

webfact

Another Shinawatra family member most likely to head Pheu Thai Party

By THE NATION

0b8295547d8cde2c7bc85d65d69a8da6.jpeg

Monthathip Kovitcharoenkul

BANGKOK: -- ANOTHER FIGURE from the Shinawatra family has been tipped to become the new leader of the Pheu Thai Party – and a party candidate as the next prime minister.

Monthathip Kovitcharoenkul, a businesswoman in the telecom industry, is a sister of former prime ministers Thaksin and Yingluck Shinawatra. She is the eighth of the 10 Shinawatra siblings, with Thaksin being the second eldest and Yingluck the youngest.

Formerly known as Yaowaman Shinawatra, Monthathip is married to obstetrician Dr Somchai Kovitcharoenkul. They have two children.

Yingluck had earlier dismissed speculation that Monthathip, 58, would become the next Pheu Thai leader, saying her elder sister had no interest in politics. 

According to the embattled ex-PM, veteran politician Khunying Sudarat Keyuraphan was more likely to head Pheu Thai.

Yingluck herself denied being the party’s prime ministerial candidate ahead of the general election in 2011 where she ended up heading a Pheu Thai-led government after being elected an MP for the first time in her life.

Monthathip, who has degrees in business management and public administration, previously headed M Link Asia Corporation, a company listed on the Stock Exchange of Thailand that she co-founded in 1995. The firm was known as a major mobile-phone dealer, complementing the family’s mobile network business Advanced Info Service (AIS).

In 2015, M Link was renamed Ferrum Plc, in which some people from the Shinawatra clan are still major shareholders.

Just a year before that, in May 2014, Monthathip and her husband were fined Bt9.6 million by the Stock and Exchange Commission for insider trading involving M Link.

Monthathip has been tipped to become Pheu Thai’s next PM candidate as it is likely that Yingluck may be stripped of her right to contest an election if she is found guilty in the case stemming from her government’s rice-pledging scheme. The case is being heard by the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders.

Pheu Thai needs a PM candidate in Yingluck’s place and the Shinawatras seem to trust someone from their bloodline rather than people from outside the family.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30320488

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-07-12

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 down, 8 more to go!!!! lol

Monthathip Kovitcharoenkul, a businesswoman in the telecom industry, is a sister of former prime ministers Thaksin and Yingluck Shinawatra. She is the eighth of the 10 Shinawatra siblings, with Thaksin being the second eldest and Yingluck the youngest.

This would be an epic mistake.

While I understand from a Thai point of view the desire to keep things in the family (That's how Thais do things), I cannot imagine a scenario whereby the military and the Powers That Be would allow another Shinawatra to attain power.

It would be great for Thailand if a non Shinawtra were to lead the party, then perhaps things might quiet politically.

Insider trading is a criminal offence and often involves jail time in other countries. That she is even being considered for party leader (she won't become PM as the junta won't allow it) shows a disturbing lack of moral judgement.

While I understand from a Thai point of view the desire to keep things in the family (That's how Thais do things), I cannot imagine a scenario whereby the military and the Powers That Be would allow another Shinawatra to attain power.

It would be great for Thailand if a non Shinawtra were to lead the party, then perhaps things might quiet politically.

If/when the military does get around to allowing a free vote, their new rules and constitution will prevent anyone having power to govern independantly.
They'll be smart enough not to try to stop this family member from obtaining office - that could potentially cause the filthy masses to actually rise up.
They are busy going after the family cash currently - eg. trying to squeeze Yingluck for 35 billion, as well as nibbling away at anyone seen to be supporters of the Shins.
We'll all be watching with baited breath . . .

20 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayuth is going after the Shin's following massive alleged tax evasion.

So not even a remote chance. 

The problem is the double standard: he goes after a selected few, on the basis of politics rather than anything. Consequently his credibility is diminished when he is seen to be pursuing some ( and with vindictiveness) while at the same time giving a free pass to all the cronies, old-guard, hiso Bangkok elite ( who funded and encouraged to ferment in the lead up to the coup). 

Time for the Pheua Thai MPs to revolt and say enough is enough from this family.

Yet another member with no knowledge or interest in politics, like the last member currently on trial, is proposed to be the leader of a grassroots party. In addition she has a conviction for insider trading- rings a bell- Thaksin's asset concealment case back in 20001.

Sudarat would be a far better choice imo, at least she is a seasoned politician, but perhaps there is no love lost between Thaksin's sisters and her. One day this clan's history will make a fine soap opera- it has all the ingredients-:an insatiable lust for power, greed, deceit, envy, ignorance and unfaithfulness.

IMO, a very silly move by PT to install yet another Shinawatra as their leader.

Simply adds weight to the belief of Thaksin' total control over PT even after 11 years away....

They obviously have a massive following, there's no doubt of that, but they also need to wean themselves off the Shins and gain legitimacy internationally as well as at home.

It makes sense symbolically, and that is more important here than credentials. Those who vote for her will be making a protest vote about their voices being silenced twice by men with guns.

However I am sure the military will not allow a Shinawatra to gain any power, At least not without some major conflict first.

A bad choice in my opinion. The rural poor certainly do have valid grievances, and have a massive voting power, but in order to progress they must distance themselves from the family that epitomizes corruption and greed. The effect of choosing one of this family will mean that anyone with a brain will vote against them.

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Insider trading is a criminal offence and often involves jail time in other countries. That she is even being considered for party leader (she won't become PM as the junta won't allow it) shows a disturbing lack of moral judgement.

Exactly.  Conviction of insider trading just shows her integrity and morals.  Money, power and whitewash of family members is all these people care.

3 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Criminal before being PM or during, same same - seems a Shinawatra trait... 

16 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Certainly better than a Shin. at the top. 

Seems like that should be something for the voters to decide.

Besides, it doesn't really matter who's the stud duck.  They're just the public face of the real power.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

In the meantime you might see the PTP as a part of Shinawatra Ltd.

Blatant mixing of business, family and a political party is, in my view, only done for personal gain and unrestricted power.

I am not a fan of combinations as above, certainly the Shinawatra club is going too far in this.

I think it is pure speculation. I would put my money that Anuthin Charnweerakul of Bhumjaithai will be the next PM. Newin Chidchob will not be part of the next cabinet so the Northern and Isaan people can live with that.

The Shinawatra's have to let go of it as their is no way the army let them back into power.

4 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

they want to win the election so they need a shin. doubt stability is considered. general still cant figure out a way to stops the shins from winning the next election. i suspect it keep him up at nights.

If there should ever be another Election which I very much doubt, the military can send in the tanks and soldiers and immediately call the results void if their required candidate loses.  The military has also cleaned out the vault and bought all new unnecessary toys so who would want to be P.M. apart from Prayuth?  Prayuth can also use his personal Article 44 and rule any Shin or those he feels may win ineligible for politics.  There is nothing to fear about the Shins receiving a majority from the people.

2 minutes ago, Thechook said:

If there should ever be another Election which I very much doubt, the military can send in the tanks and soldiers and immediately call the results void if their required candidate loses.  The military has also cleaned out the vault and bought all new unnecessary toys so who would want to be P.M. apart from Prayuth?  Prayuth can also use his personal Article 44 and rule any Shin or those he feels may win ineligible for politics.  There is nothing to fear about the Shins receiving a majority from the people.

no need it is being rigged

42 minutes ago, MobileContent said:

I think it is pure speculation. I would put my money that Anuthin Charnweerakul of Bhumjaithai will be the next PM. Newin Chidchob will not be part of the next cabinet so the Northern and Isaan people can live with that.

The Shinawatra's have to let go of it as their is no way the army let them back into power.

Anutin Charnvirakul , he's the man.

anutin.jpg.fb916c4af665729719c697e7cefc3b1d.jpg

5 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Nepotism will always be number 1

if you can not help your family 

what good are you.

...as Dubya told Jeb at the family BBQ on the ranch in Crawford.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The ones behind the military have no intention of letting ANYONE outside their circle attain power.

5 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

Same here but in the same way as in other countries, jail time is not necessarily  mandatory. But they paid the fine so justice was served.

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayuth is going after the Shin's following massive alleged tax evasion.

So not even a remote chance. 

Isn't that Prayuth is allegedly going after the Shin's following massive tax evasion?