Another Shinawatra family member most likely to head Pheu Thai Party

webfact

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Monthathip, who has degrees in business management and public administration, ...

This sentence should have been prefaced by, "Unlike virtually all currently involved with actively running the country, ..."

PTP-supporters can only stand in awe, that one particular family is able to supply so many outstanding winning-candidates, for the top-job.  Not that it's rigged, or anything.  :dry:

While most of the rest of us view it as nepotism, dressed up as democracy, when the PTP-machine vote in whoever has been selected from afar.

Wouldn't it be refreshing, if the party & its supporters were to select someone who wasn't related to, or an avowed-supporter of, the Big Boss ?

But that would require them to mature into a proper political-party, and I don't see that happening anytime soon, any more than for their main opposition, the Dems. :sad:

1 hour ago, hansnl said:

Blatant mixing of business, family and a political party is, in my view, only done for personal gain and unrestricted power.

And some say the UK's current PM is a self-made woman just like her predecessor was the consummate self-made man.

Then. just like the Blairs, they ultimately retire but carry on feathering their nests.

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This would be an epic mistake.

While I understand from a Thai point of view the desire to keep things in the family (That's how Thais do things), I cannot imagine a scenario whereby the military and the Powers That Be would allow another Shinawatra to attain power.

It would be great for Thailand if a non Shinawtra were to lead the party, then perhaps things might quiet politically.

Sadly not. Would take more than just having a non Shin family member as puppet.

Whilst you have an offshore criminal paying party MP's a salary and choosing who gets promoted and demoted nothing will really change. They will still do as told or else.

11 minutes ago, halloween said:

Insider trading, like letting your criminal brother have access to cabinet meetings?

There was another sister and her husband convicted and fined for insider trading a couple of years ago too.

Breaking the law and fraud seem to be family traits.

Surely a criminal conviction for fraud would disqualify someone from high government office? The Shins seem to regard it as a necessity!

5 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

This would be an epic mistake.

While I understand from a Thai point of view the desire to keep things in the family (That's how Thais do things), I cannot imagine a scenario whereby the military and the Powers That Be would allow another Shinawatra to attain power.

It would be great for Thailand if a non Shinawtra were to lead the party, then perhaps things might quiet politically.

It would be great if Thailand would have a leader with knowledge how to to the job. A soldier is not educated for that. So I am happy to see Mona as the next prime minister. Make Thailand great again. And not moving back as it is now.

My thinking is that if Yingluck is imprisoned then Monthathip or another Shin will lead the party.

The rice scheme was probably a Thaksin idea and if so he would be feeling guilty and desperately want to get her out.

He will only trust a Shin to commence the battle. Watch out!

10 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

yes, the minority, because PTP got the majority of votes and hopefully will win the next elections again: move Thailand forward!

They got the largest minority of votes last time. Which under the procedure translated into a big majority of seats. 

The only thing that moves forward under a Shin government is the Shin family wealth.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

They got the largest minority of votes last time. Which under the procedure translated into a big majority of seats. 

The only thing that moves forward under a Shin government is the Shin family wealth.

Same in most countries including USA and your point IS?   PTP will win again of course but the set-up will be in place and the power in the unelected who you so strongly support  

and where is your point?

Do you think under the govt of soldiers Thailand will move forward??? Sweet dreams

You can say whatever you want, but with Thaksin Thailand was moving forward indeed, even with all your "but"s

1 minute ago, sawadee1947 said:

and where is your point?

Do you think under the govt of soldiers Thailand will move forward??? Sweet dreams

You can say whatever you want, but with Thaksin Thailand was moving forward indeed, even with all your "but"s

I think it was moving forward under Thaksin - right to the cliff's edge. Had PTP/Thaksin got their hands on the 2.2 trillion baht loan they were planning, and taken it off budget and away from parliamentary scrutiny, accountability, and with themselves totally managing it. as the also wanted............ well I'm sure you could imagining where most of it would have ended up!

Yingluck said at the time when questioned about wanting it off budget "just trust us". Would you?

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

Khun Prayuth is going after the Shin's following massive alleged tax evasion.

So not even a remote chance. 

There is 8 of them and one of him... 

And all 8 probably have adult children that can step up if necessary 

7 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

and where is your point?

Thailand was still fun back when Mr T was in charge..... 

6 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

Same in most countries including USA and your point IS?   PTP will win again of course but the set-up will be in place and the power in the unelected who you so strongly support  

Don't be so sure of that.

If they can still "influence" village headmen and provincial "powers" to deliver bloc votes for them; then maybe. But the less easily influenced and coerced voters, the younger, better educated, more worldly wise - a lot of those who voted PTP in 2011 see through the Shins now. They know a vote for PTP is a vote to give Thaksin total whitewash amnesty. And perhaps more than they think find that simply too distasteful.

5 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

I think it was moving forward under Thaksin - right to the cliff's edge. Had PTP/Thaksin got their hands on the 2.2 trillion baht loan they were planning, and taken it off budget and away from parliamentary scrutiny, accountability, and with themselves totally managing it. as the also wanted............ well I'm sure you could imagining where most of it would have ended up!

Yingluck said at the time when questioned about wanting it off budget "just trust us". Would you?

Well, economy was boosting and blooming. And now?

13 minutes ago, Lemonltr said:

My thinking is that if Yingluck is imprisoned then Monthathip or another Shin will lead the party.

The rice scheme was probably a Thaksin idea and if so he would be feeling guilty and desperately want to get her out.

He will only trust a Shin to commence the battle. Watch out!

There is no "probably" about it. Thaksin began rice pledging during his own government, a corrupt scam then as later.

4 minutes ago, sawadee1947 said:

Well, economy was boosting and blooming. And now?

Maybe that was do to the wider economic conditions?

The baht is very strong now. Plenty of foreign countries and businesses sniffing round now too.

Business always goes on.

The question is would yet another member of the Shiniwattra family, with no previous political experience, who has been convicted previously for fraud, make an effective party leader and PM? 

Try and stay on topic. Tell us why you think she would.

Edited by Baerboxer

Maybe that was do to the wider economic conditions?

The baht is very strong now. Plenty of foreign countries and businesses sniffing round now too.

The baht was much stronger under Thaksin. ( but this has to do with the USD) And investments is this country are on hold, waiting for the elections.

21 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

The question is will yet another Shiniwattra, suddenly thrust into the limelight, with no previous political experience, be any better than the last one. Will she really be the leader and PM or simply a channel, puppet if you will, for her criminal brother who owns the party and pays it's MP's a salary?

Please stop pretending that I support some faction strongly as an attempt to discredit opinions. It only makes your posts look insecure.

I don't. But nor do I pretend others are better when they are simply out for all they can get themselves regardless of ethics, honesty or consequences; and quite happy to break laws to do so.

2 minutes ago, speedtripler said:

No big companies will be keen to invest in a country that's under a military regime 

VW might; and one or two others have announced things.

You might want to check first before repeating the old mantras from 2014.