Video: More appalling driving caught on tape

webfact

15 minutes ago, sinbin said:

What you say is not true. It mentions nothing regards to central reservation 'U Turns'.

The driver is in the outside overtaking lane, and he is expected to slow down in the course of that overtaking???  Are you serious???

A 'circle (rotary) is a roundabout.

Regrettably yes. These deadly u-turns are everywhere and it is not unusual to see 3-4 cars queuing in the 'fast' lane to make them.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, gmac said:

Regrettably yes. These deadly u-turns are everywhere and it is not unusual to see 3-4 cars queuing in the 'fast' lane to make them.

But it isn't a requirement by law that you have to slow down when approaching them. The law states 'Maximum speed in Thailand is 90 km, unless otherwise indicated'. There is no indication to slow down, or speed up, when approaching a central U Turn.

19 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Yes i was looking at the back of the pick up to see if it had been hit from behind but couldn't see any damage so maybe 2 cars behind the dash cam car

I went crazy and told my gf she must have lessons after she stated she didn't need a licence as she could pay the police 400 baht if stopped and would not have an accident as she would drive very carefully. 

This is likely the result of that same mentality

A little off topic but yes I have told many people to get trained. Ignored. Had a young girl whose parents let her drive a new car and it has spent a few months getting fixed now as she had an accident. :) . People here dont want to be bothered to learn, think they know it all, saves money and time for a while and then they learn the hard way.

2 minutes ago, gregk0543 said:

People here dont want to be bothered to learn, think they know it all,

They learn to drive on a motorcycle and then proceed to drive a car in the same fashion. 

5 hours ago, leeneeds said:

Obviously you do not look at the width of the road if you think this driver could not see,  I have driven in more countries than I have fingers and toes, I drive all the time from Home to Bangkok, and return , you have no idea about vision , reaction time and being aware,  LOOKING means looking at the whole road,

the pick up driver has a huge window to view through, watching traffic slowed , brake lights and being aware of signs you have passed or are coming up,  are all their to help you avoid numb nuts such as this driver, 

it is up to your self wether you take those indicators on board, 

I for one do , and do so on a regular basis and have done so in many countries around the world and will continue to do so , 

obviously many agreed with me as by the volume of likes i received. 

This is why when my SO said he wants to get a motorbike, I told him he's crazy. He thinks he's invincible sometimes.... You don't have to be in the wrong or be the stupid one to be injured or lose your life on the roads... You can drive carefully and do everything correctly but you meet one idiot and sayonara.

22 hours ago, SABloke said:

Not so much do do with changing lanes: the driver seems to have been parked on the hard shoulder and then proceeded to drive across the road at basically 90 degrees to the flow of traffic. All the driver could see in the side-mirror was the side of the road and all that he/she could see out the driver's window was the dash cam car. 

Thais will not drive on another 1-2 km to the next U-turn if they can save 5 baht in petrol by commiting kamakaze manouevres to make the U turn immediately.

The pick up driver can accept part of the blame for the excessive speed he was travelling at (like the majority of these types of vehicles do).

Edited by Dodgydownunder
addition

putting other Thai's face losing antics online is what gets people sued

Hey! everybody. I Witnessed a grand accident, and have all the evidence for the victim to prove he did the the right thing

... but I drove away because I don't want to become involved...  (she just did, by posting the vid)

they are soooo scared of being arrested as 'accomplices' (if they were to stop and help)...

...all they had to do was Stop, not approach nor touch anything; nor render any form of physical assistance; but simply get the numbers for tomorrow's lottery

and wait for the Cops

Probably afraid the BiBs will confiscate the dashcam

11 hours ago, sinbin said:

But it isn't a requirement by law that you have to slow down when approaching them. The law states 'Maximum speed in Thailand is 90 km, unless otherwise indicated'. There is no indication to slow down, or speed up, when approaching a central U Turn.

There is no requirement by law to slow down if you see a queue of stationery vehicles in front of you, common sense dictates that you do so.   Similarly anyone familiar with driving in Thailand would be aware of the dangers these u-turns present and should drive accordingly.........not carry on at 90kph because the law says you can.

On 12/07/2017 at 7:53 PM, Psimbo said:

Why should she- she was not involved in the crash and unless trained in emergency first aid would just add to the confusion. Plenty of people at the gas station to summon help.

Personally if the idiot in the saloon car died it is just natural selection to me- this was stupid at all levels. 

On Sunday I was on the main highway south just outside Chumphon. I had a big truck to my left- all of a sudden a motorbike shot across the bows of the truck and straight across in front of me, headed for a u-turn. Frtunately I was not playing with phone, radio or picking my nose otherwise the guy would have been toast. As it was I had to hit the brakes hard. Fortunately there was no one behind me. Fit dashcams people!

Whole-heartedly agree with this. No way would I ever stop, even if I WAS involved in an accident! I'd call the emergency services, then stop later down the road to copy and upload the dashcam footage, then call my insurance company.

No frigging way would I stop at the scene and risk mob justice, farang-blaming, footage-stealing, you name it.

17 hours ago, sinbin said:

There is no requirement to slow down. He's in the overtaking lane so he has a right to be there driving at the maximum permitted speed as indicated for that road.

15 hours ago, sinbin said:

What you say is not true. It mentions nothing regards to central reservation 'U Turns'.

The driver is in the outside overtaking lane, and he is expected to slow down in the course of that overtaking???  Are you serious???

Whether there is a requirement to slow down or not is irrelevant, it is the sensible thing to do. Maybe you like playing Russian Roulette.

15 hours ago, gmac said:

except  for the <deleted> who  cant  wait and  jumps  to  the  front  to  block everyones  view

8 hours ago, gmac said:

There is no requirement by law to slow down if you see a queue of stationery vehicles in front of you, common sense dictates that you do so.   Similarly anyone familiar with driving in Thailand would be aware of the dangers these u-turns present and should drive accordingly.........not carry on at 90kph because the law says you can.

So what's the point of having an overtaking lane in the outside lane? One may just as well stay in the left hand lane , or middle lane in slow traffic, and just have the outside lane for U-Turns.

18 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Whether there is a requirement to slow down or not is irrelevant, it is the sensible thing to do

When the <deleted> has 'common sense' played a part in the ways of Thais. Having U-Turns on a 3 lane motorway is not common sense in my book and shouldn't be there. Don't blame the drivers in this case. Blame the idiots that install them based on, most likely, cost-cutting.

Edited by metisdead
Profanity removed.

12 hours ago, sinbin said:

When the <deleted> has 'common sense' played a part in the ways of Thais. Having U-Turns on a 3 lane motorway is not common sense in my book and shouldn't be there. Don't blame the drivers in this case. Blame the idiots that install them based on, most likely, cost-cutting.

I totally blame the idiots who designed the road system, however, that does not excuse the morons who drive as if there is no danger believing their Buddha amulets will protect them.

1 hour ago, sinbin said:

So what's the point of having an overtaking lane in the outside lane? One may just as well stay in the left hand lane , or middle lane in slow traffic, and just have the outside lane for U-Turns.

Exactly my sentiments as well but as you clearly don't live, or maybe drive in Thailand,  I would point out that these lunacies are an everyday fact of life.  The fast lane has u-turns built into it, frequently for turns in both directions blocking the view of oncoming traffic, we just have to live with it and try to survive it.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, metisdead said:

The video is at the bottom of the opening post of this topic

Just out of curiosity has the original post changed?

At the time of asking about not seeing the video I was on Win7 with IE11

Am now test running Win10 with IE11 and I see the video on the first OP.

Is this a "feature" of Win10 or has the OP changed to include the video

Just curious :smile:

3 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

Just out of curiosity has the original post changed?

At the time of asking about not seeing the video I was on Win7 with IE11

Am now test running Win10 with IE11 and I see the video on the first OP.

Is this a "feature" of Win10 or has the OP changed to include the video

Just curious :smile:

No, the OP has not changed, the video is still there at the bottom of the OP. 

3 minutes ago, metisdead said:

No, the OP has not changed, the video is still there at the bottom of the OP. 

That's interesting, originally I could just see a link to Facebook at the bottom of the OP, but now there is the video.

Great :thumbsup:

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:56 PM, TheLobster said:

No I would have moved to the inside lane and gone past. This would avoid being rear ended and given a clear view of the idiot to the drivers behind. The pick up was driving far too fast through a U turn area.

On ‎13‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 1:03 AM, sinbin said:

There is no requirement to slow down. He's in the overtaking lane so he has a right to be there driving at the maximum permitted speed as indicated for that road.

My reply was as follows, if you are quoting me then post my whole quote or not at all:

23 hours ago, TheLobster said:

Whether there is a requirement to slow down or not is irrelevant, it is the sensible thing to do. Maybe you like playing Russian Roulette.

18 hours ago, sinbin said:

Whilst I would agree that the U-Turns are not a good idea given the standard of driving in Thailand, but driving through a U-Turn without any caution is suicidal as you can see on the video.  

I would blame all the drivers involved. To be honest you don't seem to have a clue about how to drive in Thailand or anywhere else.

Obviously the Authorities and Government need help to solve the issues on Thai roads.  How a driver this bad could even get a license is beyond me.  I remember getting mine renewed and the lady who actually crashed the car during the exam still got the license.  When I couldn't believe it, another Thai lady sitting next to me said "Welcome to Thailand".  The police are too busy fining people for having no helmet (easy 500 baht) when they should be out patrolling the street stopping people driving like this as well as those speeding, running red lights, not stopping for pedestrians, not paying attention, dangerous driving, un-necessary overtaking, crossing double lines, driving down the road the wrong way etc etc etc.  Fines of 2000 baht or more need to apply.  Those who say they just won't pay the fine, well there is an easy solution to that one.  Give them 1 month to pay the fine or the car or bike is impounded.  After a further month if the fine is still not paid, then the bike or car is either sold or crushed.  If sold the money made could go toward paying more police to patrol the streets as well as education in road safety.  Easy to do if those doing the task (those that are paid already to do this) were not so <deleted> lazy.  

5 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

Obviously the Authorities and Government need help to solve the issues on Thai roads.  How a driver this bad could even get a license is beyond me.

Oh this one is easy, they walk in, sit a test, guess them all, if they pass they get their license and drive, if they don't they repeat.