Expats -- what do you eat for brekkie in Thailand (be specific!)

Jingthing

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly always have my breakfast out. 

Most frequent choices:

1. Pork or Chicken Phat Kraphao + Fried egg

2. Shrimp fried rice

3. Omelet with minced shrimp or pork over rice

4. Phad thai if not feel like eating rice

Followed by iced milk tea

Just before breakfast usually down a bottle of Red Bull or Carabao

Not to push my idiosyncratic style of breakfast eating to anyone at all, although it was described as healthy but to me it's all quite DELICIOUS, but I want to focus on the "YOGURT MILK" thing that I do.

I'm in the milk drinking isn't for adults brigade. I drink my coffee black. But I have liked milk on cereal. Perhaps it's changed but when I used to try the various brands of Thai milk I found them all quite disgusting compared to American milk.

So I started to try my yogurt thing.

That is how I described about a 1/3 of a larger size tub of lowfat plain yogurt. 

Then I add a large portion of cold water, as cold as possible. (I prepare it in the freezer.) And mix it up. 

Perhaps it's an acquired taste but now I prefer the yogurt milk to any regular milk with cereal, even good American milk. 

Also with yogurt you possibly get a benefit from the active culture BACTERIA in it.

It's my impression doing a watered yogurt on cereal instead of milk isn't really a very common thing.

Probably more people use SOY MILK as a substitute. 

So in that sense, I guess I am suggesting that other people try it out.

Not just once but a few times, because what might taste weird at first could grow on you.

Edited by Jingthing

Pretty simple, I guess. 

Breakfast is the one meal I (nearly) always have at home. It doesn't vary much. 

A boiled egg. 

Toast (two slices, normally ordinary 7/11 "wholemeal" bread) and jam.

Three or four different types of fruit, depending what's in season. 

Optional variation: a small amount of tuna mayonnaise on the toast instead of jam. 

Black coffee (fresh, not instant, made using one of those stainless steel vietnamese filter things that go on top of the cup. 

I live in a  quiet area and it's a time of the day i absolutely savour. 

10 minutes ago, dundas said:

Pretty simple, I guess. 

Breakfast is the one meal I (nearly) always have at home. It doesn't vary much. 

A boiled egg. 

Toast (two slices, normally ordinary 7/11 "wholemeal" bread) and jam.

Three or four different types of fruit, depending what's in season. 

Optional variation: a small amount of tuna mayonnaise on the toast instead of jam. 

Black coffee (fresh, not instant, made using one of those stainless steel vietnamese filter things that go on top of the cup. 

I live in a  quiet area and it's a time of the day i absolutely savour. 

Yes, it doesn't vary much.

I'm quite fascinated by the fact that so many people have a set routine for breakfast compared to other meals. 

Also about going out.

To go out for breakfast means either going out without showering and stuff OR doing that stuff while hungry and not yet CAFFEINATED.

Makes so much sense to eat it at home (if you have a kitchen). 

Edited by Jingthing

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

To go out for breakfast means either going out without showering and stuff OR doing that stuff while hungry and not yet CAFFEINATED.

Makes so much sense to eat it at home (if you have a kitchen). 

Even when I have a kitchen I very seldom use it. So I don't care any more if there is one or not when choosing a place to stay. The main criterion now is good natural ventilation.

Always take a cold shower prior to going out for breakfast. Sometimes it is preceded by a cup of hot coffee.

1 minute ago, MaksimMislavsky said:

Even when I have a kitchen I very seldom use it. So I don't care any more if there is one or not when choosing a place to stay. The main criterion now is good natural ventilation.

Always take a cold shower prior to going out for breakfast. Sometimes it is preceded by a cup of hot coffee.

There is no right and wrong on this stuff. Whatever you like.

OK, eating lots of processed red meat daily for breakfast is probably not recommended by health care professionals, but up to y'all. 

1 minute ago, janhkt said:

Oats with milk, topped with raisins. Every day as long as I can remember. Because it's good for ya.

Every day as long as you can remember.

Well if you are anything like me, i cannot remember yesterday.:cheesy:

Muesli (from Makro as all the others are exorbitantly expensive) with low fat milk, cup of tea, or jok muu luang sai kai piset, which is rice porridge with an egg and pork meatballs in, or Kaewtum muu luang sai kai piset, same as jok, except that it's whole rice in the soup instead of being ground up. Delicious if you go to the right place by the moat opposite the Maharat Hospital turning. 

My only constant is black coffee. Other than that I usually don't eat anything, my guts don't seem to like food first thing.

If hunger takes over then anything goes, usually made from whatever is to hand or left overs, be it Thai or western.

The occasional treat is a full English but usually waiting until brunch-time for that.

19 hours ago, vogie said:

I can't believe there are so many healthy eaters on here.

I have home cured bacon, with tinned tomatoes and a fried egg all in a home baked bread roll. But that will last me untill my evening meal.

Don't wish to hi jack the thread, but how many of you go from breakfast to evening meal without eating? I do.

18 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Sometimes an icy cold can of beer. Its been proven recently that this IS the breakfast of champions. say good bye to stroke and heart attack and come join us ..

Who are you kidding? Champions of what? Drinking alcohol in the morning is a sure sign of a drink problem, or one about to develope.

9 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Don't wish to hi jack the thread, but how many of you go from breakfast to evening meal without eating? I do.

The reason I don't eat simply, I don't feel hungry, if I feel hungry I would eat. The older I get it seems my appitite wains.

13 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I do that fairly often but it's somewhat dependent on how rich the next meal is. If quite rich, then I will only want a small snack or nothing later.  So sometimes my second meal is lunch and sometimes it turns out to be dinner. 

I've learned to eat based on hunger.

But oddly less so for breakfast. I follow my breakfast rituals usually without even thinking of hunger. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, vogie said:

The reason I don't eat simply, I don't feel hungry, if I feel hungry I would eat. The older I get it seems my appitite wains.

I have no appetite at all in the morning, I am up, been out riding the bike to the exercise park, then home to my computer, my breakfast is not until I have been up for more than two hours, then it's porridge oats, then one big thick slice of grain bread, sometimes toasted with a boiled or scrambled egg, and a cup of tea.

2 kilos of freshly juiced green vegetables and fruit juice. 

Kale

half head celery

1 green sweet pepper

3 inch piece of ginger

1 orange

5 to 8 carrots

1 to 2 lemons

4 passion fruits

1 to 2 apples

1 large beetroot

1 large sweet potato

and anything else i can throw in

consumed ove the course of a day with one main meal thrown in:-)

16 minutes ago, vogie said:

I sure love my food, always have a good appetite except as I said early in the morning.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

I sure love my food, always have a good appetite except as I said early in the morning.

When I get out of bed, it's straight to the kitchen for brekky, best meal of the day.

I never skip lunch, usually khao pad Kung or similar maybe around 3 , but then evening is some cereal or some soup ( Campbell's mushroom potage usually) with whole wheat crackers.

17 minutes ago, vogie said:

When I get out of bed, it's straight to the kitchen for brekky, best meal of the day.

My best meal is always my evening one, I am also partial to a cup of tea and biscuits about 7 or 8 pm.

Breakfast is normally a couple of large Chang, with a slice or 2 of toast.  Then I drive the kids to school, then head over to Chiang Mai zoo area to ride my bicycle up Doi Suthep, maybe to the top of Doi Pui if i'm feeling good.  Return to city level for a coffee before driving home...